Going to do my first 50-mile ride on Saturday

Options
bdgfn
bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
I started riding seriously at the beginning of the summer. I do road cycling on a hybrid bike - couldn't afford a road bike at the time. My rides then were 8-10 miles, and I gradually built up to 12 miles. I was stuck between 12 and 15 for a long time. There are a lot of cyclists here in Northern Colorado, and I had seen them riding on Hwy 119 between Longmont and Boulder, and Hwy 66 between Longmont and Lyons, and some even climbing the mountains up to Estes Park. I set a goal for myself to eventually ride to Lyons, which is about a 12 mile 1-way ride going direct. One day I just decided to go for it, and hit 25 miles, about a month or so ago. I started extending my ride at the beginning, adding distance gradually. Last week I went over 30 miles for the first time, and felt good at the end. I saw a poster for a 50-mile ride in Greeley about 10 days ago, scheduled for this coming Saturday, 9/27/14. I decided to go for it! Yesterday, the last day I have time for a practice ride, I extended my ride even further, and rode a little over 35 miles in 2 hrs 43 mins, which is not bad on a hybrid, especially since I was not going for time but rather distance. I felt like I could have easily gone another 15 miles, but I actually ran out of time due to a prior commitment. I feel as if I am ready for this upcoming 50-mile ride, and I'm really stoked about the prospect of doing it!

Replies

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! The weather has been so nice on the weekends that I bet you are getting many miles in!!! Keep it up