I want to start lifting but i don't know where to start...

Options
I'm a noob. I recently lost 35 pounds but getting active and being a little more conscious about what I eat. My new goal is to get toned and I've been dying to try lifting weights but I'm so nervous. I don't anyone who lifts...men or women. I don't want to do it wrong and i seriously need some tips and motivation...

Help?

Replies

• kls1628
    kls1628 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited for you!

Reading Starting Strength should be really helpful- also maybe consider getting one or two personal training sessions if you can afford it. Don't be afraid to dig right in and start picking up some heavy stuff! I'm sure you'll get more and better answers from others. But welcome, and yay!
  • IronLizerd
    IronLizerd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
    I absolutely loved my first strength training class last night. I think I'm going to have one of the gym monitors show me around the weight room friday! I'm so excited to start doing it on my own in addition to the class.
    Hmm I'll have to check out that book!
  • IronLizerd
    Options
    Hey guys!
    So I'm having a little trouble..
    I've never been under my weight goal before and now i'm focusing on toning and building muscle.
    Problem is, I don't know what I should change around to optimize my new game plan...
    I've heard it's still good to calorie count and I've heard you can stop once you start seriously strength training as long as you eat certain things and maintain a good diet. I'm trying to wrap my brain around this new goal and I can't seem to adjust. It's always been about the number on the scale and now I'm not weighing as often because I expect to gain muscle...
    I feel like i don't know what i'm doing..
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you too! I would suggest reading 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' to understand why and how lifting is important for women. I know people who have used the lifting plan too. I prefer Starting Strength for the actual lifts.

I'm a woman who lifts heavy! I read NROL and Starting Strength but couldn't figure out how to do the lifts and wanted to use the right form. I have a coach working 1 on 1 with me for 3 sessions. He has the goal of me being able to deadlift, squat, bench press, press, and power clean on my own so I can choose to train anywhere.
  • IronLizerd
    Options
    Yea I plan on asking my gym about the personal training program today when I go.
  • IronLizerd
    Options
    Wow! I can already feel the effects of lifting on my body and it's only been a week since I really started pushing myself!!
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    lizievans wrote: »
    Wow! I can already feel the effects of lifting on my body and it's only been a week since I really started pushing myself!!

Awesome!