Anybody taking Pristiq for menopouse symptoms?

Options
astrampe
astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
Went to my GP for an annual visit yesterday, and mentioned to him that the inability to concentrate and the mood swings and weight gain (if I slip up and gain a pound it sticks and nothing I do can get it off) is driving me nuts. He gave me a course of Pristiq, an antidepressant that is now being tried out for all the lovely symptoms we experience -apparently works like HRT but without the risks... (its almost the same as Effexor)

But....I looked it up on the internet and the side effects scare the living daylights out of me.....

Has anybody here tried this?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    No NSAIDs, alcohol, or exposure to sunlight (which will help create vit D a great help for depression. Yikes!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yeah....I took one pill and wont take any more..... The dr. did not take my bp or warn me about that particular little side effect.....I read up on it yesterday, and as I have a family history of strokes, I keep an eye om my bp anyways.

Was 117/78 a little over a week ago, and as I felt incredibly crappy this morning after taking one pill yesterday, I stopped at Walmart to check it again.....A whopping 139/89.......The last time it was that high was 8 years ago when I weighed almost 50lbs more than now and was a complete couch potato.

The thing that makes me really mad at the Dr is that my main complaint was about mood swings and a struggle to concentrate, not depression.....

Will throw it out ... and keep taking my vitamins and exercise......