PCOS Newbie

Hi all,

I was just recently diagnosed with PCOS September 3rd and have started my treatment of it. I feel like there is two sides of the coin for this - I'm happy to know what is going on and it explains the rapid weight gain and a whole lot of other factors, but at the same time it terrifies me because of what it could lead into or even that I might be infertile/need help getting pregnant. Luckily for me there is an actual PCOS Center in Jacksonville, FL that I am going to start going to next week - my GYN actually recommended going there because at the GYN they could only do minimal help with my treatment while they could do a whole lot more. I'm happy that they have a dietician there who can really tailor what I should be eating to really manage my weight - but do you ladies have any tips or tricks...or even link me to other posts? I've been reading and it seems like I need to have almost a dibetic friendly diet or even go paleo. We'll see how that goes with the BC and the MetFORMIN they put me on as well.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Glad you found a place that is PCOS specific! That's awesome!

You'll have to let us know what they say and what kind of diet they put you on there. Low GI works for some and Low Carb/High Fat works for others. BC pills is often a doctors go to for PCOS but i can actually make your PCOS worse. There are threads here that cover that topic with the science to back it up. Metformin is great if you have insulin resistant PCOS but doesnt do anything if you arent insulin resistant so I hope they tested you before they put you on it.

Glad you found the group and WELCOME!
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    We don't have a PCOS specific place in my area but I do see an RE because I also would like to have a child besides having the PCOS treated. I do wish that they could find other treatments for PCOS not just things that treat the side effects of PCOS