Returning to half marathon training after injury

lorierin22
lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
I injuried myself (high ankle sprain) in August and I did not run for approximately 5 weeks. I ran/walked on on Sunday 2.5 miles (3min walk/3min run per my physical therapist) and it felt ok. So I ran 3 miles yesterday. It was slow and...well bad. I can only describe it as a bad run, but at least I could run. My half marathon is on October 19 so I have time for 3 long runs between now and race day. I had been running about 20 miles/week and had gotten up to an 11 mile long run before my injury.

Any recommendations about the best way to lay out my long runs before the race? I had initially thought I would do 6,8,10 but I'm not sure if 10 is too much the week before the race. I'm also not sure if I want to go from a few 3 mile runs to more than 6 miles for my first long run back. For this first week I probably won't do more than 3 mid week runs, I'm trying to give my ankle a rest day in between each run at least for this first week.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Talk with your physical therapist about any training you come up with. With only 3 weeks or so to train it might be too much for your ankle and result in re-injury.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Have you thought about walking it? How long is the time limit to finish?
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    I'm down with a mild knee injury myself. The Half-marathon I wanted to do is in November, and I've reluctantly resigned myself to not running it. Now I'm setting my sights on a February 15k and then a half-marathon in March. I've had two injuries as a result of doing too much too fast, and I'm not going to make that same mistake again. I think you might be taking a pretty big risk with your ankle by pushing too hard so soon after healing. You may be able to pull it off, but stay very aware. If you feel any pain at all in that ankle, you might want to wait for the next half-marathon to roll around. ~~Scott
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    I injuried myself (high ankle sprain) in August and I did not run for approximately 5 weeks. I ran/walked on on Sunday 2.5 miles (3min walk/3min run per my physical therapist) and it felt ok. So I ran 3 miles yesterday. It was slow and...well bad. I can only describe it as a bad run, but at least I could run. My half marathon is on October 19 so I have time for 3 long runs between now and race day. I had been running about 20 miles/week and had gotten up to an 11 mile long run before my injury.

Any recommendations about the best way to lay out my long runs before the race? I had initially thought I would do 6,8,10 but I'm not sure if 10 is too much the week before the race. I'm also not sure if I want to go from a few 3 mile runs to more than 6 miles for my first long run back. For this first week I probably won't do more than 3 mid week runs, I'm trying to give my ankle a rest day in between each run at least for this first week.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like you might need to just call it in and not do the race.

If you must do this I wouldn't do the 10 mile the week before in your condition. Maybe 6, 8, 6 or something like that. This race is going to be tough for you. Just don't set your hopes on this being tons of fun. I mean it will be fun but not the kind of fun you'd have if you were prepared.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I just want to agree with everyone else. Walk it, or bail. High ankle sprains take a long time to heal. You don't want to overdo it before your ankle is ready. Better to get whole, and then jump back in. You do NOT want to prolong your recovery.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 229 Member
    walk and jog the race. Don't push to the point of damage.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Yep, I totally completely understand what you are going through. But ankles are tricky. And so much slower to heal than you would imagine. In all honestly I would have to suggest skipping it and looking for a later race. It sucks, really sucks, I know that. But trying to finish a HM under-trained, or excruciating pain at mile 10, or dealing with recurring ankle issues suck even more.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    I would drop out of this one and find another one in the spring. I don't see how you can go from a miserable 3 miles run to a not miserable 13 miles run in 3 weeks... Sorry, but it's not gonna happen.

I hope you make the right decision.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    2hd0ajb.gif
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Listen to the PT.
    Mine was pretty much my best friend through my injuries and getting back into my running and lifting. We had a discussion almost every session about what I could/couldn't do when I left.

I wouldn't try to run this thing.
    Maybe walk/run. But it's gonna suck.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Thank you all for the advice. I forgot to mention that the same exact thing happened to me last year at almost exactly the same time...actually it was 2 weeks later last year. So I already know the complete and utter suckfest of running this exact same half undertrained. It was miserable. But I did have a much better base going in this time and I actually rested my ankle and took the time the PT told me to heal this time around. My PT has never mentioned not running the half. She gave me the plan to start with the first run/walk and then if my ankle was fine (which it was), then I could resume running. She is a runner also and knows that I am doing long runs and said that would be fine. We just didn't discuss the specifics of what would be the best to plan as far as length and I'm done with PT now. I guess in my head...i know the 10 mile before the race would not do anything for my fitness for this race. I was just thinking it might help me out mentally. But I did finish the half last year, so I already know it can be done...and I already know that there will be no PR...so at least I know what I am up against going in. I guess I'll just stick with 6, 8, 6 so I can be rested for the half. Thanks for all of your help. I have actually already backed out of one half and a 10K since the sprain and I'm just not willing to sit this one out.