Your favorite lifting shoes?

Options
threnjen
threnjen Posts: 687 Member
I need to pick up some shoes that are made for lifting. Google is my friend so I have certainly seen a lot of the options, but a lot of the review articles are by men and I'm not sure if the shoes reviewed work as well for women (fit wise, I mean)

What is your favorite shoe?

Also, I have to order them online, and I'm not sure how to nail the size conversion to a men's shoe the first time. I wear an 8; any suggestions on what size I should go with in your favorite brand? Everything is implying I should order a 6.5

I'm considering the VS Athletics shoe or the Wei-Rui Warrior as these both seem to be a well rated shoe for under $100. The Adidas Powerlifter seems like it might be a solid choice as well, but I think the other two are more highly rated for around the same price.

Edit to add: I didn't mean to post this and then immediately follow up that I bought a shoe, but I want to share what I JUST found and purchased. A specific Wei-Rui lifting shoe is on clearance at MaxBarbell.com for $45 shipped in the US. No returns or exchanges but they seem totally worth the risk!! Got myself a size 39, here's hoping. Maybe someone else can use them too!
http://www.maxbarbell.com/products/powermax-wei-rui-weightlifting-shoes

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I just use Chucks. I am too cheap for that.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm a barefoot lifter. My weight room has carpet and I have tried different types of shoes, but feel more stable without them.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Chucks. Or just plain old socks, but if you workout at a gym, you might not be able to lift in just your socks.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I use Chucks, too. Sometimes I use my Vibrams. Lifting is a decent use for them after my misguided attempt to wear them running.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I just use my low top Chuck Taylors. I wouldn't mind getting lifting shoes if I had the money for them.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike Romaleos for all the "big" lifts except for Deadlifts and Rows, which I prefer to wear socks.

Going from regular shoes to Weight Lifting Shoes is like day and night. IMO anyone who's serious about lifting should invest in a pair.
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wear my vibrams.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I wear chucks if I feel like it - most of the time I'm barefoot though, I prefer it that way and my garage is carpeted so that helps :) if only I could stop hubby dropping nails and staples on the floor in 'his' area of the garage then I'd be sweet!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I just want to follow up in case anyone DOES want to get a shoe, I got those Wei Rui clearance shoes in the mail (already!!), so I thought I would give some feedback on the fit.

I am an 8 and I ordered the men's 6.5 equivalent. I am probably more like a 7.75; I used to wear a 7.5 until I had kids and then my feet were an 8 after that. So I would say if you are any more than a true 8, like if you sometimes wear an 8.5 in the occasional brand, this shoe will probably not fit in the 6.5 size. It fits snugly and is not uncomfortable but if my feet were any larger it would not work.

Workmanship wise it seems fine but I have nothing to compare it to, and not like I have had time to cause any wear and tear.

It seems like a pretty solid buy for clearance, 45 bucks and they shipped Priority!