Is it silly?

Options
Curlychip
Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
Ive just started cross fit with plenty of lifting in the last 2 weeks coming from practically nothing.
I have started monitoring calories and eating about 1800 calories a day plus exercise calories and Ive put on 2lb. (TDEE about 2300 apparently)
I assume its water weight, but am I silly starting with heavy exercise and mild calorie cutting rather than trying to get weight down first with a stricter diet? :flowerforyou:
Others set a lot of store by BMI and I'm close to 30 again :cry:

Replies

• Kristina115
    Kristina115 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The combo of crossfit and lifting sounds like quite the shock to your body - especially if you weren't doing anything before. I wouldn't be concerned about the scale at all. If you're getting a solid share of protein in your diet, your muscles will thank you and you'll see some strength gains in the weeks to come. Make sure that you are drinking water throughout the day, everyday, and even more on days that you train. Things will settle down in your system after a month when you body gets a bit more used to what you are doing. Judge things then. Also, make sure you get some sleep to recover.

I've been lifting two-to-three days a week and doing two days of HIIT for the past 10 weeks. I decided at the beginning of August to not weigh myself because of trying to add muscle... the scale plays a horrible mental game with you when you don't see the number go down. I'll weigh myself in 2015.
  • Curlychip
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:

I did really dive in from nothing :blushing: Im really enjoying it though, even though Im pretty sore!
    Im eating enough protein, but probably not enough water or sleep (wakeful toddler who still breastfeeds :yawn: )
    Ill try get more.

Thats good advice about the scales (and you look great!)
  • Curlychip
    Options
    Ok, it seems it is silly...Im having a rest day today and my left thigh has just gone ping.
    Owwww!!!
    Maybe I shouldn't lift on monday? :cry:
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, if you're excessively sore or unusually fatigued take another rest day. If it hurts, don't do it - particularly because you're new. There's no point in going so hard out of the gate that you hurt yourself and have to take time off. As you get used to lifting, you'll start to be able to tell the difference between normal discomfort in a muscle and abnormal pain. Until then, be conservative!

Also, be sure that you're not working the same body part on two consecutive days - especially if you're sore!

As far as the weight gain, intense exercise causes your muscles to store extra water as they repair the damage caused by the lifting. Don't worry about it but do give it time to recover!
  • Curlychip
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! x