October Challenge - The Power of Positive Thinking

Options
"A positive person anticipates happiness, health and success, and believes he or she can overcome any obstacle and difficulty."

I firmly believe in the power of positive thinking. I use it daily to defeat the struggles that accompany weight loss. I think a great challenge would be to follow a mantra of positive thinking and utilize it in your life each day.

For anyone who is interested, you can start by working on the pre-challenge challenge :)

*Look in the mirror and pick out AT LEAST three things that you like about yourself physically. Come on now; don't tell me there are none, because I don't believe you. Just because you are trying to lose or gain weight doesn't mean you aren't already beautiful JUST the way you are.

Here are mine.

1. My freckles. My grandma used to tell me that they were angel kisses and it always stuck with me. She passed away a little over a year ago, and I feel connected to her when I see them in the mirror.
2. My hair. I have a huge head of thick curly hair. I HATED it when I was younger. I didn't know what to do with it and I just wished I had frizz-free straight hair like all the "cool" girls. Even though I still straighten it from time to time, I appreciate the beautiful curls I was blessed with.
3. My curves. I LOVE my curvy body. Yes, I plan to tone it up, but I know regardless of my weight that this trait will stick with me... and I'm totally cool with that! :P

Once you've got yours, everytime you pass a mirror, compliment yourself on one of the traits (or all of them). YES, compliment yourself OUT LOUD. It sounds silly but DO IT ANYWAYS! I promise that over time this is going to build your confidence. The point of this is to replace all those negative thoughts that float around in your head with positive ones.

I know this is kind of corny y'all (<-- I'm from GA), but come on. It makes you smile, and it makes you feel good. That's what we all want, right?

If you want to join me, comment "I'M IN" and put your 3 (plus) traits below :D

Replies

• BreakingFree07
    Options
    I'm in!

Positive thinking is the most amazing and most powerful things!

Three things positive about myself, a lot harder then I thought. haha

1. My eyes, I like the shade of my blue eyes and especially when I am done up and ready to go they pop.
    2. My curves, especially when I am at my goal weight.
    3. My smile, each time I smile big I see my mother. People always say we look so similar.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    I'm IN! I need to do this, had a lot happen in August, spent September trying to get back on my feet and have done a lot of thinking, now for October, it's time for action!
    So, here's mine and I will admit this is tough, I am not used to thinking about myself in positive terms:
    1) I am strong, not Olympian strong, but strong none the less, both physically and emotionally, yes I still have plenty of room for improvement in both areas, but I have over come so much and am still standing
    2) My hair, I have baby fine curly hair that 95% of the time I hate because I can't style it, can't do much with it, and it looks like I have a bald spot in front (I have a scar from where I hit my head when I was learning to walk as a toddler right near the crown of my forehead so my hair parts funny there, there's nothing I can do to cover it up and I have yet to find a style that it doesn't show), but I have the COOLEST curls!
    3)I know this isn't a physical characteristic (hey I'm working on it) but I think it's important to recognize: I'm determined, I spent a year eating right and working out, all the while I gained 40 lbs, but never gave up, I was finally, after a year of searching for answers diagnosed with hypothyroidism and insulin resistance, in the past year I've been receiving treatment for both while still exercising and eating right and have only lost 6 lbs, and I haven't given up, I am still in the process of getting adjusted with meds and know that this will be a lifelong fight for me but I am determined to get through this
  • nunas2014
    Options
    First challenge, first post ever actually. Just created this account actually :)
    1) My hair. I have naturally straight, thick soft hair. Sometimes I wish for curls, but I have never had to straighten my hair a day in my life :)
    2)My breasts. Not to brag, but their just great. Tips on how to workout without losing my D cups would be most welcome!
    3) My eyes. My brother and I are the only members of the family who have brown eyes. I have moved across the country from my family and it concentrating on my eyes reminds me of my brother, who I miss the heck out of.

I'm such a dork I kinda teared up writing this. Thanks :)
  • DorseyJ618
    Options
    I'm so glad to see people joining in!!!
  • DorseyJ618
    Options
    It starts tomorrow! Join us!!! :)
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Just saw this today and I have to think about my 3 things but I would like this. Thanks for the idea.
  • DorseyJ618
    Options
    Ok, it's day 1!

It was great to read all your wonderful traits. We sound like a good looking bunch :)

Today's challenge: List all the reasons your glass is half full. I know you've heard the saying. And even though we all have things that stop our glass from being entirely full, there are plenty of reasons why it's not empty.

Here are some of mine.

1. I have a full-time job with great co-workers and great benefits.
    2. I have a boyfriend who loves and supports me in all that I do.
    3. I have a dedicated mother who would do anything for me and is always there for me when I need her.
    4. I have friends who also love me and are always there for me.
    5. I am healthy and capable of reaching my goals.

Throughout the day I challenge you to remember all the wonderful things in your life. There's ALWAYS gonna be bad, but there is also ALWAYS gonna be good.

HAPPY 1ST DAY OF OCTOBER!!! :)
  • stephbroadbelt
    stephbroadbelt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

Mine are pretty similar, but here it goes!

1) I have a great group of girl friends who I've known for years. Even if we don't get to see each other as much as we used to, we stay in touch and laugh constantly when we're together.
    2) My boyfriend is awesome! He's a great influence in my life and we have so much fun together.
    3) I love my apartment and my kitten and it makes me happy to come home everyday!
    4) My job is fun and exciting and allows me the chance to connect with people from all over.
    5) I have a side-job coaching at a high school with my best friend. A lot of times it's the highlight of my week to see them improve, and to have some "mandatory" quality time with her.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Ok - for the previous which I didn't get back to you on...

1) My eyes - they are nice hazel eyes and I've always liked that my eyes are part of my favorite color - green.
    2) My Calves - they are so big I can't wear any of those knee high boots but I don't care - they are strong and solid.
    4) My hair - its always been a good feature and as I age, it is still healthy.

For Oct 1st:

1) I have a loving husband who works with me to support our family.
    2) I have two beautiful and talented daughters who are moving on into the adult world.
    3) I have an amazing son who is growing up even though its tough for him.
    4) I live in a good community, a lovely state, a democratic nation and a beautiful earth that feeds my soul all the time.
    5) I'm lucky to have a job and health insurance.
  • jane21480
    jane21480 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have been logging on MFP for a while , and also use Fitbit. I haven't joined any groups until today. When I saw this
    group it called out to me !!

I truly believe in positive thinking, yet sometimes we get lost in daily life to remember to be positive about ourselves.
    Here are my three :)
    1) my eyes... they are brown. When I was young I was told they looked like chocolate chips :)
    2) my freckles... like others I also was told they were Angel Kisses... I hated them growing up. My husband always tells me
    he loves them.
    3) my legs... I have long legs (a little knock knee..LOL ) but long legs and I can still pull off a pair of short shorts.
    So when I get down about my "fluff" around my middle I am going to be positive and remember these 3 things...
    Now where is that mirror ? I need to pass it and be positive today :)
  • Sivangj
    Sivangj Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Found this a little bit late but do love the Challenge. I so believe in positive thinking. So I'm in.

Hehe still it's hard to find the 3 Things about my self to list.
    But here we goes:
    1. My eyes. I have green eyes that change color due to emotions and surroundings :) My grandma use to say that I smiled with my eyes when I were really happy.
    2. My legs. They have always been and still are slim and muscular. Like a dancers legs.
    3. My hair. It is soft as baby hair, typical Scandinavian hair I guess.

And the october 1. chalange
    1. I have a 100 % job that I like. And great co-workers that understand and support
    2. I have some great friends. They know how to get you laught how ever you are feeling, they take you as you are, always tell their true oppinion but support you even though you dont agree.
    3. I have 3 soon grown up boys, who have become responsible, hardworking young adults
    4. I have a dog that is full of energy that help me get out and walk ever day, she always light up my days
    5. I just love the place I live, with its changes in the weather, midnight sun in the summer and northen light in the winter :)
  • DorseyJ618
    Options
    So sorry I did not post yesterday!

Today's challenge is something that has really changed the way I think daily. For this one you don't neccesarily have to make a list, you just have to make a commitment to trying it out.

Throughout the day, the month, and beyond, try to turn around every negative thought you have. Consciously think "what is the positive counter thought to this statement." For some it is much harder than others, but you already have two great lists to help you out.

Here are some examples :)

1. Negative thought: I am so fat. Positive counter thought: I am working diligently to make myself the healthiest me that I can be.
    2. Negative thought: I'm NEVER gonna reach my goal weight. Positive counter thought: If I continue eating healthy and working out, I will eventually reach a healthy and maintainable weight.

Feel free to write some out. It doesn't only have to be about weight. Here's a real life example.

3. Negative thought: That driver is such a d*ck. Positive counter thought: I have no idea what that guy is going through. Thank goodness he did not hit me and I send prayers (or positive vibes) his way.

When you stop negative thoughts from invading your mind and force them to turn around, you will eventually start thinking more positive thoughts automatically.

:)
  • DorseyJ618
    Options
    Note: I know I keep repeating myself on "replacing negative thoughts with good ones" but that's the whole point of this challenge for me. I want to give you several different ways to change your thinking. So... it might get a little repetitive :)
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

What I like about myself (not necessarily in this order):

1.) My thick, fluffy, unmanageable, curly red hair. Hated it for most of my life, but have finally decided to embrace it. Basically, I'm letting my freak flag fly! The only time I get compliments is when I flat iron it every few years (boo).

2.) My personality: smart, inquisitive, unconventional, feisty, well-read, articulate, liberal, funny, with an inferiority complex.

3.) I raised a great kid: kind, conscientious, polite, and lots more. He just left for college and I miss him.

This topic is a life-affirming idea - thank you!
  • mjohnson1twenty
    mjohnson1twenty Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    three physical traits i like about myself:

my hair... it's always been thick and straight until the last several years. now there's a bit of curl to it. i've always liked it's graying too. the gray has almost taken over.

my eyes... they're blue.

my hands... not so much for their looks but for their strength.

glass half full:

1. spending time with my husband and daughter
    2. my spiritual growth in God, church
    3. time with nature and wildlife
    4. kayaking
    5. friends
    6. watching my daughter grow into a beautiful woman
    7. the little things...

negative to positive thoughts:

Dorsey J i love how you used the negative thought of a bad driver and turned it around by saying a prayer to them. i've actually used this when i see myself getting frustrated with a driver.

negative thought... i will never get better from this illness. positive thought... i'm exercising again to see healthier results.
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Oops, just realized you were looking for p-h-y-s-I-c-a-l traits.

Well, I already mentioned about my crazy red hair that I've finally come to accept & embrace. Two others would be...hmmm...

- My muscles, even when they're not toned. I've always been sort of muscular which I used to think of as a curse. Fitness teachers would always say, "You don't want to lose muscle", and I'd think, Yes I do! But now that I'm older I see that my musculature will come in mighty handy in going about the tasks of daily living. It behooves me to keep them firing.

- My blond lashes and make-up-free face. I gave up mascara and make-up about 20 years ago and I've never regretted it. It saves money and hassle and I'm proud of being low-maintenance. Instead, I spend my beauty dollar on good skin care products. I use SPF 50 every single day, and people say they're surprised to learn that I'm 54.

I really had to dig, but I found 3 physical traits that I like about myself. They make me ME. Thank you for suggesting this exercise.
  • jane21480
    Options
    Positives for today.
    1) I have a great husband and 2 great sons , also a wonderful daughter in law
    2) I am taking a Barre Up class with my daughter in law
    3) I am have wonderful friends
  • AuroraD82
    AuroraD82 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm In!

1) My dark healthy brown straight hair
    2) My face when I genuinely smile
    3) My but!

1) I am grateful to have family around, living nearby
    2) I Have wonderful children that surprise me everyday with their strength and resilience and growth
    3) My boyfriend, and the father of my children
    4) I get to stay home and be home for my family
    5) I am taking steps to become the person, I always wanted to be

My stomache is wobbly, but not as wobbly as it was even a month ago
    I AM OVERWEIGHT, but my butt is shrinking...
    My but is SHRINKING!, but so is the rest of me
    I don't have alot of time to make new friends and enrich new friendships for myself, but MFP friends, my family, and the genuine friends that don't let me or themselves drift away are worth a hundred friends that don't have time for eachother.
  • jane21480
    Options
    10/9 positives for today
    1) I fit in a pair of shorts I thought I would not fit in :)
    2) I am proud I could keep up with with the "younger gals" in a exercise class Monday and Wednesday. :o
    3) I am proud of my 34 1/2 year marriage <3
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Okay, gotta catch up!!!
    glass 1/2 full:
    1) I have a job that I really do like, even if it does drive me half crazy sometimes
    2) I may be "still" single, but I have accomplished so much more than the people who keep throwing it in my face have (and I don't mean to offend anyone who is happily married, you don't know how much I wish I could join your ranks)
    3) I have better friends now than I did growing up
    4) No matter how bad things seem, there is always light at the end of the tunnel, I just have to step back and squint to see it sometimes and as long as I remember to do that, I'll always come through the situation.

Negative to positive thoughts for 10/9 (boy did I need this one yesterday, I really don't like how they have the forums set up!!!)
    1) when one thing breaks, everything breaks (had a plumber out to fix my toilet yesterday, he fixed the toilet, the kitchen faucet and discovered that my water heater has a slow leak)... positive thought: at least once it's fixed, it's fixed for a while and sometimes things are found early enough (like my water heater) that you have time to plan for the repairs/replacements when they're going to be big cost items rather than finding it out when it's really bad
    2) I'm the fattest at the gym (having PMS day, deal with it)... positive thought: I may be fat, but I'm the fittest fat chick there!!!
    3) Sometimes my friends drive me absolutely nuts when they do things that I don't want them to do.... positive thought: I may not always like what my friends do, but their hearts are always in the right place when they do them, I can't help but love my friends because they are so great!