4 days post op and wondering what I have done....

Options
jrnguyen
jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
I'm struggling. Experiencing severe buyer's remorse over here! I am to continue on a full liquid diet for the next 2 1/2 weeks and it honestly seems impossible. I didn't even struggle this much with the pre-op diet, perhaps because I felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

I guess I wasn't expecting to feel this... normal? Which is great, don't get me wrong. I'm glad I'm not having issues with the surgery. But it is really difficult to stick to the liquid diet when I feel like I could tolerate normal foods. I'm not hungry and I have no desire to eat an entire.... well anything. But dang what I wouldn't give to just taste something decent. I crave NO junk. I want chicken, cauliflower, fish, cottage cheese, heck, anything green.

I know in the grand scheme, 3 weeks is nothing, but I'm seriously doubting my ability to push through and stick to the liquids. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling really good on the liquids, I would contact your doctor. My doctor moved me from clear liquids to full liquids sooner than planned and again from full liquids to purees sooner than planned. But don't do it without your doc's go ahead. Also, once I started on purees and soft foods, I really started to feel the restriction. When I was on liquids, I felt certain that he didn't really cut out most of my stomach. Once real food started going in, I was 100% sure that the surgery was a success!! Liquids are so so much easier for our healing stomachs to handle. Eating "real" food too soon could be very dangerous (and painful if you overeat, even by a little bit.) You said you're not hungry so I think you really need to work on controlling your head hunger. That's not going to go away and that is the biggest obstacle to your success.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    congrats on your surgery, it can change your life. I want to comment, hopefully you won't take my comment the wrong way.
    I'm worried about your mindset. If you are not hungry and have no desire to eat, you need to get past your desire to eat. That is how a "thin person" thinks and acts. Food needs to become something you do to survive - like breathing, drinking water etc. Not a reward, not something to do out of boredom. Eat when hungry. Not just for the taste. Find that type of stimulation elsewhere.

My concern for you is that if you don't control head hunger, you might not be as successful as you can be. I am sure you have heard it a million times already but it's worth hearing again - The sleeve is a tool. Not a magic bullet.

Good luck!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I found I had to be really creative with my liquids. Coconut curry broth ( beef and chicken so you get two different flavors). Vietnamese beef pho broth. Egg drop soup, hot and sour soup ( just whiz the solids into the broth so it passes thru a sieve) . Chocolate almond milk, decaf sugar free lattes if allowed by your MD. Asian seafood or crab broth. I was allowed to whiz up healthy choice soup and pass it thru a seive- just added more broth. Also thinned pea and lentil soup and thinned whizzed chili. Jello. Dannon light and fit vanilla greek yogurt thinned with kroger carbmaster milk. Just clear them with your team
    Miso soup comes in a few flavors too
  • juliebccs
    Options
    Well I can say it will get better but you already know that. So what I suggest you do is as Mangopickle said,, get creative.
    Vary the tastes. I was travelling post op so I had to do with whatever I could buy in an Indian supermarket. I bought packet soups in many flavours,,some spicy some not. I also had juices in every flavour you could imagine. I also was allowed to have a light milk flavoured drink. I was actually placed onto soft foods such as watery scrambled eggs or watery kedgiree within about 2 weeks which was just before we left India. But even though I was not hungry I always felt that tummy discomfort you get when your hungry. But that was just healing going on. It is hard to get that feeling to go but eventually it does. Be patient and mix it up. I probably never want to see packet soup again my life but it worked at the time.