Friday, Ordinary 26/Proper 21-- Sept 26

ChapLynne
ChapLynne Posts: 31 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Meditation
Friday, Ordinary 26, Proper 21 along with the Psalmist’s recognition of the Exodus and the miracles of God, who saved his people from Egypt, the Old Testament lesson in Numbers spoke of the Children of Israel arriving at the Wilderness of Zin (different sources say different locations some on the Sinai Peninsula; some in the Arabian desert and some in Southern Israel/Northern Arabia) and complaining because of their lack of water.
God told Moses to take his walking stick—the one used before when he struck the rock—and go to the rock and speak to it. Moses took the rod and went to the rock and tapped it like he had done the time before. Water gushed and gave the people their needed replenishment, but Moses’ disobedience cost him his chance to enter the Promised Land.
Some might regard the distinction of tapping the rock and speaking to the rock as seemingly insignificant. Why would there be such importance given to the action? The Scriptures told us the reason.
12 But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “You did not trust me enough to honor me and show the people that I am holy. You did not show the Israelites that the power to make the water came from me. So you will not lead the people into the land that I have given them.” ERV
By tapping the rock, Moses implied that the power was within the rod or Moses, instead of coming from God. If Moses had spoken to the rock, the Children of Israel would have been given a clear indication that the source of power was not in the rod, but the power came from God. This was why it was so important. Who was to receive the recognition and glory? God or Moses. The way Moses did it, he was receiving the glory or his walking stick appeared to be the ‘trick’ instead of it being obviously God.
Someone else taking credit for something one did is often a source of pain in people’s lives. Bosses have taken credit for my work and left me to look like I didn’t do anything. It didn’t feel good. God didn’t like it either.
Lucifer took credit for things that were from God and God cast him out of heaven. Arrogance takes credit for something one hasn’t done. God despises arrogance.
The New Testament lesson spoke of the Hebrew escape from Egypt, and how the law of Moses was fulfilled by Jesus. However, there were scoffers who denied the truth of Jesus and Luke quoted from the Old Testament prophets which declared
Look, you scoffers! Be astonished and die!
For what I am doing today
is something that you will not believe,
even when someone explains it to you!’”
God demonstrated in the Old Testament with one miracle after another, but some missed it. They didn’t get it. New Testament unbelievers didn’t get it either, no o=matter how much it was explained to them.
Miracles happen all around us today. God moves in mysterious ways and yet there will be people who deny that God is at work in our lives. Avoid arrogance and taking credit for the things that God does for us and great things can happen.
Thanks be to God.
All Scriptures printed below are in King James Version for copyright purposes. However, clicking on the verse locations will take you to Biblegateway.com where the text is linked to more contemporary versions.

Prayer: Almighty God, Open my eyes that I might see. Open my mind that I might understand. Open my heart that I might make your words a part of me. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight. Amen

Ordinary 26, Proper 21
Bible Readings
http://legacy.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm 78:1-4, 12-16;Numbers 20:1-13;Acts 13:32-41&version=KJV;ERV;GNT;NCV;NIV (multiple versions)

Friday, Ordinary 26, Proper 21

Psalm 78:1-4 Psalm 78:12-16
Numbers 20:1-13
Acts 13:32-41

Daily Bible Verses to Memorize for Meditating

Philippians 1:21
King James Version (KJV)
21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Single Bible Study chapter to study

Numbers 20:1-13
King James Version (KJV)
20 Then came the children of Israel, even the whole congregation, into the desert of Zin in the first month: and the people abode in Kadesh; and Miriam died there, and was buried there.
2 And there was no water for the congregation: and they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron.
3 And the people chode with Moses, and spake, saying, Would God that we had died when our brethren died before the LORD!
4 And why have ye brought up the congregation of the LORD into this wilderness, that we and our cattle should die there?
5 And wherefore have ye made us to come up out of Egypt, to bring us in unto this evil place? it is no place of seed, or of figs, or of vines, or of pomegranates; neither is there any water to drink.
6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto them.
7 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
8 Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.
9 And Moses took the rod from before the LORD, as he commanded him.
10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?
11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.
12 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.
13 This is the water of Meribah; because the children of Israel strove with the LORD, and he was sanctified in them.

OBSERVE:

Take a moment and write three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

APPLY:

Today, I learned _____________________________________and apply it to my life.

Prayer of Encouragement

Almighty God, the Children of Israel complained and you gave them water. Help us to not complain and be grateful for the many things you give us. We want to be faithful and give you the honor and glory for the great things you have done. In Jesus name, Amen

Conclusion
Friday, Ordinary 26, Proper 21 reiterated the need for obedience, with the express purpose of demonstrating the power of God. God tried to teach the Children of Israel that he was holy and that he was the power they could rely upon. He wanted them to trust and obey him.
They failed miserably. Even Moses failed to obey God. As a result there could be misunderstandings of the source of the power of the miracle. Was it the rod? Was it Moses? No. It was God. God was the source of power…in the Old and New Testament lessons and we are to obey his guidance so others can see God demonstrate that in our lives.
Go out and be ready for God to do mighty things in your life—for the glory of God.*
Thank you for visiting ChapLynne’s Daily Encouragement and Bible Study. God bless you.
*If you do not know the Lord as your personal Savior and you are seeking, please contact me. A genuine and simple prayer, asking God into your heart for the forgiveness of your sins will also do.