Basic Questions

Options
Hello,

I just got my Fitbit Flex and sync'ed with MFP and I have a few questions and confusions.

1) Based on my weight and diet profile (-2LB a week) I am suppose to eat 2160 calories per day (lifestyle setting: sedentary) based on MFP. So according to MFP, my BMR is 3141 calories (-1000 or so a day). However I woke up and got a -400 calorie adjustment from Fitbit of -386 calories (based on projection of 2711 calories at 6:11AM). I'm confused now at that 2711 calories BMR for Fitbit vs 3140 calories for MFP, which one is right?

2) According to Fitbit I am suppose to log all cardio, so what do I include? If I walk 15 minutes to work, do I log that as cardio or does the Fitbit measure that? If I go for a 1 hour post dinner walk, do I need to log that too?

"In order for your Fitbit tracker to accurately calculate your calorie burn, you'll need to record a start time for all cardio exercises you log on MyFitnessPal. If you use a MyFitnessPal mobile app, make sure you update to the latest version so that you can record start times from the app as well."

Replies

• GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you have the settings the same for FB and MFP their estimates of the number of calories you can consume should be close (but perhaps not identical). I generally use MFP as my "master" program and then let it use the data from FB or DigiFit or MapMyFitness... rather than try to get all of them to work together on my own. That is close enough for me - it may, or may not, be close enough for you. FB figures that you use calories just by living so the -400 you see is the FB estimate of how many calories your used between the midnight and whenever you looked at it in the morning. I believe that FB is able to recognize on its own whether whatever you are doing is cardio - at least mine does - so I do not enter anything extra if I am wearing the FB. If I do cardio stuff and do not have the FB on, and am also not wearing my HRM which I use with Digifit, then I manually enter the cardio. So long as you have your Fitbit on, or in your pocket, just let it do its job. In a couple of weeks you'll know if it and MFP are working for you or if you need to tweak your settings/program.
  • SingerWang_1979
    Options
    Yes, I put in the same weight/height and lifestyle on both.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I just got my Fitbit Flex and sync'ed with MFP and I have a few questions and confusions.

1) Based on my weight and diet profile (-2LB a week) I am suppose to eat 2160 calories per day (lifestyle setting: sedentary) based on MFP. So according to MFP, my BMR is 3141 calories (-1000 or so a day). However I woke up and got a -400 calorie adjustment from Fitbit of -386 calories (based on projection of 2711 calories at 6:11AM). I'm confused now at that 2711 calories BMR for Fitbit vs 3140 calories for MFP, which one is right?

2) According to Fitbit I am suppose to log all cardio, so what do I include? If I walk 15 minutes to work, do I log that as cardio or does the Fitbit measure that? If I go for a 1 hour post dinner walk, do I need to log that too?

"In order for your Fitbit tracker to accurately calculate your calorie burn, you'll need to record a start time for all cardio exercises you log on MyFitnessPal. If you use a MyFitnessPal mobile app, make sure you update to the latest version so that you can record start times from the app as well."

Walking to work would not be considered "cardio exercise". If you are purposely walking for cadio/exercise, then set the timer to log the times, then input the cardio activity. It will override whatever FB recorded for that time period.
  • SingerWang_1979
    Options
    Okay! thanks, I'm working on it ;p
  • Gen216
    Gen216 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to this... I bought a fitbit yesterday!

If I wear my fitbit during volleyball tonight do I log anything?

And what do you mean by set the timer??