Medtronic Infusion Sets

Options
I use the Minimed Quick Sets, was using the 9mm cannula, then switched to the 6mm cannula as I have lost fat. Occasionally with the 9mm, and even occasionally with the 6mm, I get scar tissue that surrounds the cannula and crimps it closed (like seriously, I think I would need a vise to squeeze it that much otherwise). My pump does not alarm because insulin is trickling through, though I know I'm not getting it all because my blood sugar goes high. Then I bolus to correct the high and I get a delivery error.

I switched to the 6mm cannulas a few weeks ago and have had success so far. Yesterday, last night, and this morning, I've gone through 3 cannulas and now need to use a 5th. I'm getting so annoyed, and my blood sugar has been running in the 300's, so I'm very irritable. I'm going to replace this and call Minimed sometime - this one has lasted only about 2 hours.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? I've always had the issue, but very sporadically. The last couple of days just annoys me and makes me think I got a bad batch.

Replies

• AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I found the Quicksets never worked well for me and use the Sihouette. It goes in at an angle and I find it maintains its positioning better in a lower fat % body than the Quicksets do. Might be worth a shot?
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I started with the Mio infusion sets and had the same problem, they would constantly either kink or bend. If my blood sugar was high I would constantly wonder if it was due to an issue with the canula. I now use the Sure T set, which is metal but I love them. No bending or kinking and you don't have to worry if its inserted correctly. I was really hesitant about switching to a needle but honeslty I can't even feel a difference.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've tried the Sure-T's, and I can definitely tell there is a needle. I used to use Silhouettes more frequently, but switched away because they would often not get deep enough. Maybe it is worthwhile to go back to them now that I'm not as thick...

I did call Medtronic, and the rep. suggested placing on different spots - legs, arms, butt. I have tried legs, even when I was heavier, and it would get crimped when I stood up or walked. I don't have tubing long enough to reach the arms, so he is going to send a sample with longer tubing. I can try putting it in my butt also.

Ultimately, I'm just annoyed because I did not lose a bunch of weight overnight, and I didn't have my entire stomach become un-useable overnight either. But this all literally started happening about 27 hours ago. I think I got a bad batch of cannulas.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I want to order longer tubng next time as well to try to put it in my butt region. I am starting to get a lot of hard bumps on my belly and its making those spots unusable again. I would like to give my stomach a break to see if those bumps will go away.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. It happened overnight with me as well. Infusion sets were working just fine for years and then suddenly I was having issues with clogging with every set. I had good luck with the sure T but do not use those since I play soccer and its really painful if they move which always happens in a rough game like soccer. I have since been using the MIOs 9mm. I was using the quick set 6mm and find better success with the 9mm Mio. The Sure T comes in 8mm which is nice because I am not that slim and find that 9mm is too long and 6mm is too short. You might give the 8mm a try.

I tried the silhouette as well and found that just about every other set ended up getting clogged.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @okulyd - Thank you, your experience provides a lot of insight. I believe the Mios may be the only ones that I've not tried, so I may look into that.

The new one is in my back, above the waist.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've been using the Insets for a few months, and now I'm experiencing issues with my cannula completely bending within a few hours after inserting it (though it is usually on my hips only). Of course, my pump doesn't alarm, but something is clearly up when I am only at 219 with moderate ketones. :grumble:

Look on the bright side, I can always say that I am becoming too skinny for 90 degree infusion sites. :drinker: