Ice bath or Hot Bath for Recovery?

Options
jstrun
jstrun Posts: 70 Member
Just wondering what everyone does after a long run for recovery? i've heard some people do ice baths, some do hot baths with epsom salts and some are crazy and do nothing out of the ordinary?

What do you do and why?

I usually have a hot bath with epsom salts and then ice the muscles that hurt afterwards (i.e. i have a bad knee so ill ice that for a bit)

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what everyone does after a long run for recovery? i've heard some people do ice baths, some do hot baths with epsom salts and some are crazy and do nothing out of the ordinary?

What do you do and why?

I usually have a hot bath with epsom salts and then ice the muscles that hurt afterwards (i.e. i have a bad knee so ill ice that for a bit)

For info about epsom salts, you might find value in this posting:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/a-seal-of-approval/

I've been reading sciencebasedmedicine.org for about 10 years and consider it a trusted site.

In a nutshell - if our body absorbs more than tiny amounts of foreign substances through the skin, it could very well kill us. The body functions within pretty narrow ranges concentrations of chemicals and if we were to bring even more than trace amounts of sodium, for example, the body will do what it's evolved to do for the past 3 - 4 million years - dilute it, excrete it, or vomit it up.

This is not to say that we don't enjoy the sensation of Epsom salts or the warmth of a hot bath but physiologically there's very little impact.

A hot bath after a long run is not something that I've seen recommended. Most write ups on post run recovery discuss a warm shower after cooling off and eating. Personally, I don't sit in a bathtub unless it's with a friend. :-)

ice baths seem to be getting more press but I have seen any science behind it. It will be interesting to see what data other posters provide.

My post run SOP "is" (I've been off running for a few months due to vein problems in my legs) to cool down, load my Garmin .FIT file into FirstBeat Athlete and review the data, grab a snack, get my feet up for a while, grab a shower, and get then get with my day. Once I go over 10 miles or so, there's more "sit time" than a 6 miler, for example, but that's 'cause of age/fitness level.

Insofar as "restocking" glycogen, I've followed the conventional wisdom to take in 3:1 carbs:protein within 30 minutes but that's a habit not a necessity for most folks. There may be some arguable merit in pulling in a little protein but, unless you're cranking out at least a dozen miles, roughly speaking, we have so much glycogen left after a run that there's no physiological need.
    This point was finally "discussed" in the latest Runners World (finally found something good in it…) by a comment by Amby Burfoot who said, paraphrasing, that there's no need to suck in a lot of carbs post run unless you're doing two a days or unless your a tri athlete.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I do neither. I've tried hot baths before when my legs were sore, and it feels nice to soak, but it didn't do anything for recovery. For the most part, I just rest up and eat all the food.
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I tried to put my foot in an ice bucket after a long run and I thought that hurt worse than my foot. Couldn't imagine taking an ice bath. I take a cold shower after long runs just to feel refreshed and maybe lower my core temp.
  • GreenEyedTrailMonster
    Options
    Standard advice is that if you need to (you shouldn't 'need' to, as it were, if it is just a normal long run but some people find it helps after they have worked hard racing) but pretty much universal advice is ice bath/run into a stream/the sea etc. Hot baths would be fine the next day but can increase the amount of time it takes your legs to recovery if you have one straight after a run.

You shouldn't really need to though. You should run, refuel with the appropriate carb:protein ratio within 20 minutes of finishing; then comes some stretching and remain well hydrated.

If you feel a need for an ice bath it may be that you are running too hard for what should be your HR Zone 2 endurance run. Your long run should be a steady state run at a pace where you can talk.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I do neither. I've tried hot baths before when my legs were sore, and it feels nice to soak, but it didn't do anything for recovery. For the most part, I just rest up and eat all the food.

I agree with this. After longer runs (18+ miles) I enjoy getting into a warm bath and reading for a while. I do find it soothing whilst I am in there, but I couldn't honestly say I jump out and my legs are feeling any better than when I went in.

After that I rest, eat all the food and later on do some chores that get me walking about a bit.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, there is no science behind ice baths aiding recovery, just anecdotal evidence.

My long runs haven't yet been above a half marathon so my experience is limited, but I find using my marathon Stick after a long run reduces stiffness/soreness. Otherwise it's just a warm shower, rest and some food.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Beyond the fact that this is totally a personal choice and what works for you, one thing I do pretty religiously is flush my system after long runs. (over 13 miles). Basically I drink Cytomax, usually 3 to 4 bottles until I pee close to clear. Every time I've done that, I've felt so much better the next day, over not doing it. I like a good Epsom bath too! But again, I believe in trying things and sticking with what specifically work for your body. :-))
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    There's no way I'd do an ice bath. I can't stand the cold weather as it is.

I love to take a hot bath after a long run. So relaxing and soothing!

Then I'll either have a protein shake or breakfast and then jump right back into bed.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    After a cool down period I get into a hot tub (set at 101 F) and stretch and relax after all of my runs (and gym work outs for that matter). I find this to be very soothing. Having put my feet into ice water many times in the past I can't even imagine taking an ice bath.....
  • jstrun
    Options
    thanks for all your responses!! its very interesting to read what everyone else does!
  • jstrun
    Options
    really not a bad idea about drinking lots...i find that i really dont drink enough after a long run...i will try it and see if it helps!