Insurance approval

Options
Hi everybody,
I'm considering getting the vsg procedure done. I'm a little concerned about getting approved by my insurance. I meet the bmi but I'm super healthy, I'm just chunky so I feel like I will be denied. Does anybody any advice or experiences that could share with me about getting insurance approval?

Thank you!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    All insurances are different, but I think in general, the more comorbidities or weight-related issues you have, the more likely you are to get approved. The only problem I had was high blood pressure, but I was 382 lbs, and because of that my BMI alone qualified me for surgery. It's really hard to predict if your insurance will approve you or not. When are you supposed to find out?
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    I'm considering getting the vsg procedure done. I'm a little concerned about getting approved by my insurance. I meet the bmi but I'm super healthy, I'm just chunky so I feel like I will be denied. Does anybody any advice or experiences that could share with me about getting insurance approval?

Thank you!

Contact your insurance approved Bariatric center. Most of them have an orientation meeting, and they will have someone very familiar with your insurance plan. That insurance expert will be able to tell you the realities of your plan and which steps you will need to take.

I went the approval process on my own before contacting my Bariatric center and cost myself 6 or so months. The bariatric center work could have been done in parallel with the six month doctor's weight loss program, but I did it in series instead. I don't regret it, because the slow boat to surgery worked very well for me, but I would recommend talking to the bariatric program first.