Holidays and Dieting

Options
bhicks014
bhicks014 Posts: 50 Member
As amazing as it seems, the holidays are quickly approaching and this will be a tough time for many members who are trying to reach their goals. I thought this thread would be a great way to share some ideas on holiday meal planning or visiting family members during that time. With all those wonderful foods, temptation can get the best of us. Let's get the ball rolling and figure out strategies to get through these final months of 2014.

I'll start with this... As colder weather sets in, some may find it difficult to endure the colder weather and go for those walks, jogs, and runs. Going to the gym is one option, but are there others?

Also, during the shorter days of winter the level of depression among people begins to rise. Part of this is considered "Winter Blues," and can make for some bad choices. Those that are depressed typically eat more and it's usually unhealthy things to make matters worse. What are the best ways to battle depression on the cold, dreary days that lie ahead?

Congratulations to all of you on your hard work and continue to strive toward your success. It's not always easy, but think of the sense of pride and accomplishment you will have when you reach that goal. I'm rooting for you!

Replies

• mistytobefit
    mistytobefit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Working out indoors is definitely possible--treadmill, videos and tons of workouts of all types on YouTube. The only excuse is one's self!

This is definitely my worst time of the year for eating unhealthy. I've signed up for some group challenges on mfp to help keep me motivated and accountable.

One indulgence that I found that is still doable is a recipe for low-fat, low-calorie pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Since they're made using wheat flour, it helps keep the calories in check and they still taste amazing!

I'm nervous about my apple cider drinking habits though. Hopefully, I can handle it less sweeter than normal this year!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight resistance training is excellent when you can't get out to the gym.

It is also a good transition time of year to get used to colder weather and more precipitation. The dog has to be walked anyway, why not enjoy it with an umbrella? While he stops to sniff - whatever - you can see the daily color changes in each tree. One day, the leaves will start dropping without any breeze around, revealing the brilliant architecture that supported them.

Holidays can be even more depressing with so much expected of you. I try to look at it this way - food is one less thing to worry about. (Que?). Yes.

Instead of preparing a massive smorgasbord, I now feel I can prepare a few things and spend more time talking with people. I can have that pie and stuffing and sage-brine-soaked turkey, and not stuff my gut until it hurts. it is wonderful to really savor each bite and leave yourself wanting a bit more. It is more relaxing to listen than to focus on food.

Frankly, isn't it secretly entertaining to hear Aunt Lucy complain about (body aches, overweight, grapefruit diet, everything) and know you are doing something about it and feeling better? And you know she would never believe you or even try if you told her your non-miracle method?
  • bhicks014
    bhicks014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good points by both of you. I suppose when I'm at home I always see things that need to be done. A thorough cleaning, flower beds need weeding, garden needs turned for the winter, and so forth. It seems like I get overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done. Even at the fire department there are so many things to do. Rooms need painted, floor needs resurfacing (both the living area and the bay), etc. Perhaps I'm just horrible with time management...

I see your points about holiday eating. I really don't over eat per say, but there are so many people to visit and I hate to offend someone by not eating something they worked hard on. I think I need to simply just snack or invite them over to my house. I usually do a lot of cooking anyway, so why not? At least then I can control what is being made and I know exactly what's in it in terms of tracking my caloric intake. Then there is cooking for the guys at the fire department and they eat like starving horses... I have been doing exceptionally well on avoiding sweet treats and that surprised me. Then again, maybe it doesn't. I never thought I could go so long without a soda, tea, juice, etc. Nothing but water for 119 days and counting. I must be insane...

Thank you both for your wonderful post and the ideas on staying on track for the holidays. Let's have an awesome day today!