Introductions

Options
caitastic24
caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
Welcome to #BikeOctober!!!

For those of you that don't know, I'm Caitlin! This will be the fourth biking challenge I've made this year :-) I'm so excited to get started and kickoff this month. October is my FAVORITE month and I would like to go strong :-)

Please let me know if you have any questions. The rules are posted on the group home page and on Instagram. I'd like people to post fairly regularly (at least once a week) about their progress/frustrations/goals/etc. so we know that you're still with us!!

Go ahead and introduce yourself below! I recommend interacting as much as you can with the other members as they are a great support system! Get to know one another :-)

Thanks for joining in! I look forward to getting to know all of you. Feel free to add me if we are not already friends!

Replies

• cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Aaron here.

I ride road to keep somewhat in shape for racing cyclocross in the fall & winter.

Nothing like racing with 100 of your friends in cold, wet and miserable conditions.

Fun times for sure.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Fat, Slow, and Can't Climb to Save my Life.

I Ride a Bit, and organise a few low-key cycling challenges over in the Century-Plus Cycling Group - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3764-century-plus-cycling.

This one will make a change, just riding, not having to do all the logging and chasing up everyone else. Might give me time to organise my "Winter Omnium 2014" again (Combination of challenges, one for the commuters, one for the cyclocross/offroad guys, one for the indoor trainer freaks and one for the Rule #5 and #9 observers that go out and log silly distances even in the depths of winter)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can participate here... I don't have a bike computer and so far I only do indoor spinning classes. I do try to keep high intensity, though.

But in order to not get bored or get injuries I will change what I'm trying to improve. For example one class is to have above 85% average max heartrate, next class is to stay longer or more often in red zone, next is to keep in orange for a total of over 25 mins etc, next is to improve standing cycling time or sitting.

It seems to me you guys have goals that are mostly about mileage.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options

Well, that's pretty much what the challenge dictated - "50 miles in a month"...

FWIW, i've lots of goals that are cycling related that aren't mileage dictated.

I really want to improve my overall speed
    I need to get my FTP on an upward curve again, and as a result will be dropping in the occasional intervals session on the Indoor Trainer
    I Want to get a time of 26:38 or better for the local club's 10 mile TT course (that's the club "age standard" for my advanced years) instead of my 2013 PB of 27:22
    I want to have at least one ride per month that doesn't start and end at my back door (i.e. - get out and ride somewhere different)
    I'd really like to get over to see some of the Spring Classics in europe next spring
    I'd like to get light enough and fit enough to actually go to the Alps and climb at least one or two of the Classic Alpine Cols.

the list (like the road) goes ever on...
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options

For the challenge, yes. That's what it's about. Picking a distance and trying to achieve it.

My goals are primarily to increase my zone 3-5 tolerance. Since I race CX, distance is usually 5-6 miles per race. Not a major contributor in the grand scheme of things for this challenge.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Well - I cycle a bit. mainly commuting, 6 miles each way which I aim to do 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I have to drive if I'm going out straight from work. I do some weekend riding with my OH, weather and other commitments permitting !

I got back into cycling 4 years ago or so, a group of people were doing the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride which is about 62 miles and I spoke to someone who'd done it the year before and I knew wasn't a prolific cyclist to see if it was an achievable goal for someone who hadn't cycled for a while but had a few months to get fit, and she encouraged me to go for it. So I did. Dug out the old heavy bike I had at my folks, got it serviced and started cycling to work and then in the evenings/weekends. Did the Manchester-Blackpool with a friend and was pleased that I felt good at the end of it.

Work then started participating in the UK government Cyclescheme in which you can buy a bike up to a max value of £1,000 and pay for it over a year out of your salary but, here's the good part, before tax and National Insurance...so over the year on a £1k bike you only actually pay £650 and as it comes out monthly out of your salary before it hits your bank acc you don't even notice. So I've had 4 bikes on that scheme, one each year!

First I got a decent Specialized Vita Elite hybrid which I loved, so much lighter than the old jalopy I'd been using. Then the year after I got a mountain bike for bombing about around the tracks and fields near me. The year after that I took the plunge with a road bike, Giant Avail 1 and just last month I got a "super-commuter" Whyte Devon bike which is essentially a road bike with wider tyres (700 x 28c), hydraulic disc brakes & mudguards - which I will use for the winter and stick the road bike on the trainer. The hybrid and mtb have since been sold to a better home!

Anyway, I don't cycle as much as I like, I'm too easily dissuaded by bad weather, or tiredness or convenience of getting in the car, so I'm hoping a sturdier commuter-friendly bike might encourage me to cycle in worse weather to work and keep me riding more through the Autumn and Winter. This challenge and TBY's Winter Omnium should keep me motivated, so thanks :)

Look forward to getting to know everybody :happy:

Fran.

PS. Sorry for papping on a bit!!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I like to cycle from time to time doing the odd mile here and there and not competitive at all ...... :)

I do like the odd challenge and would like to loose a few lbs, that last stone refuses to budge atm but never give up and never surrender, I'm hoping a consistent good October will reap some rewards.

Would love to broaden my cycling horizons when time and money is not a problem, alas both are lacking for a while yet so I'm focussing on the weight and fitness thing for now.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Clive & I'm an addict :laugh:

I got back into cycling again in April 2011 through the UK's Cycle to Work Scheme & haven't looked back.

My first commute to work way back then, 20.8km's (12.9 miles) took me 1h 17mins & I was a complete mess at the end of it; legs like jelly & I could hardly lift my leg over my bike to get off... I was 127kg's back then...

My quickest commute over the same course is now is just 36mins; I am now circa 97kg's (baring fluctuations :mad: )

I've still got around 10 or 15kg's to drop realistically, by which point I hope to drop some more time from my commute, increase my average speed & invest in a lighter, more sporty bike...

So far this year (correct as of right now) I've ridden 6261.1km's (3890.5 miles) - Not as much as some, but more than many. This is set to be my highest number of KM's in a year so far (weather and staying physically fit considered.)

So far, so good :happy:
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Pam and have been mountain biking for a while, just got a road bike and this will be my 2nd bike challenge doing mostly road miles. I did 100 miles last month, think I'll be optimistic and double that for this October. Ride on!:flowerforyou:
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Hey - I tend to quit riding in the winter and that does a number on my fitness for bicycling in the summer. I saw this and decided to join to see if I can keep my miles up for the winter. Not every day is a cold weather day. Riding on the weekends, I should be able to do this. Fingers crossed for better weather than we have been having.
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm late in posting this but I'm Ronni. This is my 4th challenge with Caitlin and I love them even though I don't always get as many miles as I hope. I dropped my goal to 50 for this month since the weather is still decent enough that I'm doing a lot of hiking and other activities. Now if my bike/trip computer would cooperate and not give me problems when I try to ride it would help!