Minor Setback

Options
boomerkae
boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
I had my final diet appointment on 9/22. I also met with the nutritionist and social worker. Once I declared I was going wiht the sleeve, they dropped the endoscopy bomb on me!
I was able to get the EGD scheduled for 10/2 and surgeon consult on 10/10. After consult, they package everything up and off to insurance for approval, and I'd be looking at surgery around Thanksgiving.

However, I got a sore throat Monday night, horrible pain Tuesday, and have been diagnosed with Strep Throat! I haven't had it in about 20 years!! My scope has been pushed to 10/16, and fortunately, I can do the consult the next day.

Like many others, I need to have surgery this year as I've met insurance deductible with my first visit and labs. I have to do it this year. I'm also in a weird situation - between listening to my nutritionist, adding exercise, and treating my narcalepsy, I've lost 20lbs. I have a minimal comfort zone of 10lbs I can lose before consult, or I won't qualify! My nutritionist switched my calorie range to maintenance mode, and I'm still having trouble some days meeting it. I've cut out exercise for now. I think most is due to the meds - they are known to cause weight loss.

Fingers crossed this yuck leaves, I get my scope done on time and don't lose too much before consult. I never thought I'd hear myself say something like that!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Wow! Praying it all goes the way you need it to! The insurance thing is just so hard sometimes! They make it so difficult to use the insurance the way we need to. I understand they need to make sure we aren't misuing it, but all those rules and regs make it so difficult for the average person.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Wow! Praying it all goes the way you need it to! The insurance thing is just so hard sometimes! They make it so difficult to use the insurance the way we need to. I understand they need to make sure we aren't misuing it, but all those rules and regs make it so difficult for the average person.

Thanks! I get it too, but man, cut me some slack! Other than being morbidly obese, the only other thing I have is metabolic syndrome. With no co-morbidities, I have to have the BMI. It's one of the many reasons I've opted for sleeve. I started dropping the weight after taking the meds. I'm sure most is due to it - but the side effects aren't forever! I need WLS as a tool for the future!