Argh!

Options
Kalici
Kalici Posts: 685 Member
Why do I constantly make the mistake of reading threads on this website? I know that ignoring things and pretending they don't exist doesn't fix them nor will it make them go away, but I know exactly what I'm going to find when I read them.

I only just started reading them and we've already got racism, sexism and denial of privilege all while being racist and sexist. I'm personally on here for my health, but some days I end up feeling sick to my stomach and like my head is going to explode.

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't very encouraging, but I sometimes feel I'm the only one to feel like this, so it's good to read your post.

What to do? Sometimes I challenge it. Sometimes I just close the thread because I don't have the reserves for the vitriol that will inevitably come my way.
  • Kalici
    Options
    I know what you mean. I end up feeling a little better when I know someone else feels similar as well.

As for challenging them, I try sometimes, but people don't respond to my posts and I don't think they even glance at the links I provide. Most of the time I don't because I feel it is just going to be an episode of bashing my head against my keyboard.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The threads on this website driving me ****ing batty. I was a member about six months ago and went apoplectic almost daily reading some of this stuff. I had hoped the forums had improved, but have already run into male tears: "Hey, I'm a woman looking for experiences of other women for advice" "WELL DID YOU CONSIDER THAT I, A MAN." /head.****ing.desk.
  • Kalici
    Options
    The threads on this website driving me ****ing batty. I was a member about six months ago and went apoplectic almost daily reading some of this stuff. I had hoped the forums had improved, but have already run into male tears: "Hey, I'm a woman looking for experiences of other women for advice" "WELL DID YOU CONSIDER THAT I, A MAN." /head.****ing.desk.

Yeah, I saw one earlier today that said being a straight white man is the toughest thing in America. I seriously worried my eyes were going to roll out of my head and down the street.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

If it's the one I'm thinking of, in Maintenance I think, there was a reassuring post from someone defending the right of the woman to ask for women-specific experience. But otherwise, yes, it was very "Behold! A man has come to give his manly view".
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    There's been another one where a woman is talking about her husband sabotaging her diet plans, and she mentions that he eats donuts and TAUNTS her about it, and PUSHES FOOD TO HER LIPS, and everyone is just like, "LOL everybody's husbands do that!!" GROSS.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I saw one earlier today that said being a straight white man is the toughest thing in America. I seriously worried my eyes were going to roll out of my head and down the street.

tumblr_nakffdYtjp1rrb1gzo1_400.gif