October 1, 2014

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
Welcome to October everyone!

Hope your day is going well.

Anywho. I was thinking about some old posts we have had in the past and one of them was about parts of our bodies we like or dislike. I remember I, and several other people, found little to enjoy about really any part of our bodies.

While I still avoid looking at myself in the mirror, I can say I've been revisiting those thoughts. Can I say, I really like my legs. Who would have thought going 700 miles on a bike would give you some nice legs. But they do. I can look at them and like that part of me. Even when I lay in bed I can feel my body and muscles underneath the fat of my stomach now. Instead of feel like a part of me, it now just feels like some unwanted baggage that is slowly falling off.

Thats about all I wanted to say. Bikes give you nice legs.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    What an awesome thought, Patrick! A friend finally got me to start a plank challenge with her...of course I had to calculate back to ridiculously short numbers (the max I could hold it my first try was 5 seconds. 5 very shaky seconds...lol) so I'm about 2-3 weeks behind her, but by the second day, I could actually feel my abs being worked under all the flab. It was disconcerting, to be honest.

Since then, in only a week, I've already doubled the time I can hold the position and almost tripled it before I start shaking and drop. It is kind of cool, especially considering it is an exercise I've never done before...

I like the idea that fat falling off is our unwanted baggage, our fat suit, as it were. This reminds me of the Jillian Michaels quote, "You are not fat, you have fat. You have fingernails, but you are not fingernails." Kind of the same thought process. What an uplifting thought to end my work day!

Looking forward to some pictures of those nice legs to continue inspiring us all!!
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree biking is worth it for the improvement in legs. I am no where near 700 miles but I do my fair share and it is all on dirt, sand, mud and uphill, downhill and obstacles so my legs do get a good workout. There is some toning happening there.

This is weird but the only part of my body that I can really see a drastic change in is my shoulders. It seems I am losing weight from the top down. My shoulders have been rounded for so long that the other day when I glanced in the mirror and saw that there were angles I just about cried. I noticed my purse wasn't sliding down as much and my backpack was getting easier to carry but this was the first time I actually have seen a noticeable change in myself. Granted I can't show them off because I need to keep my arms covered due to the amount of drooping loose skin but I know they are there and that is enough for me.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Lets see the legs then :)

I like my shoulders and arms. I am an ED (ER in america) nurse and I used to be a kickboxer/karateka and have pretty toned arms and shoulders. I proudly informed hubby the other night I might be overweight but I dont have bingo wings, he looked at me like I was mental. But I digress, I am planning on getting my shoulders back to the way they used to be with clealy defined trapezius muscles. But for now those are about the favourite bit of me

I dislike my stomach. I have had 2 c-sections prior to gaining all this weight and hate the way my stomach hangs likes a poorly designed church roof from y c sec scar. Its getting smaller though I can finally start to see a teensy difference
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It was just surprising me to see the tone and definition that was going on even though I still have plenty of weight to loose. I will defiantly have some loose skin on my stomach and thighs (I can see it when i look at myself in the mirror after a shower, I may enjoy the weight loss but it aint a pretty sight). I think it's just inevitable, but only time will tell. My original goal was simply to be a healthy weight though I may have to do a little more strength exercise to build some muscle mass and see if I can't fill in some of that loose skin with muscle.