Advices needed: 2 marathons, 14 days apart...

Options
JustWant2Run
JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
Hi :)

I posted this on my wall and got a mix of answers from my friends... I am posting it here to see if some of you, with whom I am not friend with, may have some useful information to offer.

I am currently registred for my second marathon Oct 19 (My first one was last May... 3:49). I am not planning on attempting a PR, I kind of want to just enjoy the race. I am thinking about running another marathon Nov 2, 14 days later. I know I can't race both, I know it is not the conventional way to do things, I know it's a dumbass idea... But I can't get it out of my head.

Some background info: I've been running consistently all year, and I'm peaking at 60 mpw for this training cycle. My last 20 miler went super great; 9:14 pace, negative splits, could have kept running.

Anyone ever here has ever done it ? Any advices ?

Thanks!
Josée

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Race the first marathon hard, after the finish get yourself into a freezing cold body of water, and then either run or elliptical the next day for 30 minutes. After that repeat the last two weeks of your previous training plan (which should have been taper). The second race take it easy and treat it as a well supported long run with friends.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My only advice is not to do it.

I'm sure you've seen me post enough to know that I'm conservative about this type of thing.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Race the first marathon hard, after the finish get yourself into a freezing cold body of water, and then either run or elliptical the next day for 30 minutes. After that repeat the last two weeks of your previous training plan (which should have been taper). The second race take it easy and treat it as a well supported long run with friends.

This, my only adjustment is... if you are feeling good and rested for the second marathon, also race that one as well. :-)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    What are you going to do? Bandit NYC?

If you do it we can be November 2nd marathon buddies!
  • JustWant2Run
    Options
    What are you going to do? Bandit NYC?

If you do it we can be November 2nd marathon buddies!

LOL nooooooooo way I would ever bandit a race!

My NYC plans were cancelled.. My friend is apparently not breaking up with her boyfriend and is staying in Texas instead of coming back to live here. I'm pretty sad about it... :(

Another race, near Toronto actually. Still haven't made my mind about all this lol.

Which race are you doing again?
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    That's the lowest entry level to Marathon Maniacs (2 Marathons within a 16 day time frame). Since you can't throw a rock into a start corral these days without hitting someone in a yellow MM shirt, this doesn't seem to be that out of the ordinary anymore. Race the first one and chill on the second or take it easy on both and just have fun.
  • JustWant2Run
    Options
    So I decided to do it and registered for the second one.

I'm pretty excited about it now :)
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Best of luck, make sure and let us know how you get on!

I have a neighbour who does back to back marathons on a regular basis, there was a week during the summer she did four in a row ( the medals were amazing they all clicked in together).

No bother to you :)