Long-Distance Relay Advice?

Options
saskie78
saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
Hey runner pals!

I am running a 200 mile relay on a 6-woman team next weekend. It looks like it will be just over 30 miles for me, running over the course of 28 hours. I'll be doing about 5-7 miles every 5-6 hours. All 6 of us stay in one van over the course of the race, meeting each runner at exchange points.

Has anyone done something like this before? Any advice? Anything you wish you would have done or did that was helpful?

I'm trying to figure out nutrition and how much clothing to bring (do I need 5 outfits?? Will I smell bad if I keep putting the same outfit on again and again?). This is new territory for me, so any insight on any of the logistics of the race are welcome.

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have done a 12 person team, never a 6.
    - One of the coolest things I saw was the ladies packed all their outfits, shorts, shirt, socks, etc., for each leg, in individual plastic baggies. Seemed pretty convenient.
    - As for food, eat what you want that you know you can keep down while running. You have a little time to digest so eat first then do the rest, sleep, change, stretch, etc, afterwards. I'm a big peanut butter and jelly fan so I brought a loaf of bread, and a jar of both. Worked great. And don't wasted time stopping to eat somewhere while the other person is running...truly just a waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere.
    - Since it's short legs you dont have to worry about fueling but may want a small water bottle just in case...no aid stations and no help from your van while running typically. Rest when you can.
    Hope this is what you were looking for.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    No experience with this...

But, I would be worried about clothes being wet with sweat if I was wearing the same thing over and over again. Totally not cool to wear wet cold clothes when you start a new leg. I would totally pack 5 outfits lol.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I did the Market to Market relay about a month ago. Personally, I did three legs of 5, 4, and 4, and our team covered about 70 miles in 10 hours.

Bring flip flops. When you're not running, you'll want to air the dogs out. Bring extra socks because the ones you just took off will be gross. Also, a change of running shorts/shirt and some warmups/pullover in case it's cold when you're standing around waiting at the relay point but not running. Bring a rolly stick to roll out your legs while you wait on the other runners. Bring plenty of food and drink. Toilet paper. Air freshener. Foot powder. Face wipes/hand wipes. Towel.
  • saskie78
    Options
    All good stuff. Ok, lots of clothes!
    Glad to hear on the pbj, because that was along the lines of what I was thinking.
    I also totally would have forgot about bringing a foam roller...
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    You should also get some insights from Davemunger... He is also a veteran. I'd suggest just messaging him. He is pretty cool and awesome.
  • saskie78
    Options
    You should also get some insights from Davemunger... He is also a veteran. I'd suggest just messaging him. He is pretty cool and awesome.

That's right; he just did something like this, I think!