When did you have a pain free day?

Options
ceejay1477
ceejay1477 Posts: 10 Member
Hey everybody! I'm on day 4 post-op and so far gave been pretty miserable. When did you first start to think that the worst was over? And when did you have a first pain free day?

Everyday gets better, just looking for some light at the end of the tunnel!

Replies

• itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for the anesthesia to wear off and to adjust to the food (or lack there of). Took me about 3-4 weeks, but other people feel better after a week or two. The feeling of "the worst" went away for me after about 10 days. You're almost there!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. I had a friend say to me that with any surgery 6 weeks seems to be the magic number. I have to admit that at 6 weeks i started feeling much better. Up until then, after the first week or so I was better, but I felt like a patient until the six week mark. the change was dramatic when I stopped thinking of myself as a VSG surgery patient and just a person with a tiny stomach.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I agree with the 6 weeks body healing but basically the pain from surgery itself was about 2 weeks for me. It took the 6 weeks to really eat without too much pain.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I never needed narcotic pain meds, but I think it was about a week or 2 before I started to feel really "normal" again. I was back at work within 10 days without issue.
  • Cathiesunday
    Cathiesunday Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It really does vary, doesn't it? I'm 4 weeks out, tomorrow and still have stabbing, burning pain when I reach wrong or bend to put on my socks. The PA said that they had to cut a muscle and that is what is healing so slowly. It is manageable, though. I haven't used any pain killers for a week. I just gasp and wait for the pain to subside when I stretch the sore spot.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Tender incisions 7 days, only took Tylenol after leaving hospital. Back to a sedentary job in 3 days. Weak as a kitten for 6 wks though every day I would feel lighter and lighter. I never get out of breath unless I am exercising and these days I feel like superwoman dashing up and down stairs. I actually used to resent the stairs at my gym
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A little over a week for me to be pain free.