race day hydration

Options
So I stupidly didn't look to see what fuel was being offered at my next race and low and behold it is powerade when i train with gatorade. This will be my 5th marathon since last october so not my first rodeo. I could fill a handheld with gatorade but frankly don't like running with it and the idea of carrying it for 4-5 hours is not appealing at all (ive only ever done so with trail 1/2s that don't have much support). So carry a handheld which ive never done for that distance or risk a new hydration source on raceday??? Both are sucky choices imo. I've taken the new hydration risk for halves but not fulls........

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to carry liquids with me when I race because all that extra weight will affect a time goal, and carrying enough for an entire marathon definitely will. I would personally just do some training runs with poweraid and, if they go well, just use the race aid.

If I absolutely had to carry the liquid, I would do it in a two bottle racer belt (nathan or feul belt) and just use more gels to replace the carbs lost from not getting as much sports drink along the way. If I could manage it, I would switch to an all water and gels fueling plan, but my tolerance for that many gels is just not there yet!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Personally, Powerade irritates my stomach. I dunno why, but I can only tolerate Gatorade. I'd bring the handheld or experiment with gels/blocks. They're the same principle, just a different delivery method.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Do you have a sensitive stomach? I typically don't, so whatever liquid they serve at marathons or ultras, I just drink it. I don't really "train" with anything but water. I'm not advising you do this, but if you typically can eat/drink stuff without having issues, I wouldn't worry about it or overthink it.

However, this is coming from someone who has done 3 beer miles
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's best to train with Powerade one day and Gatorade another day just to get used to both of them. I remember one time reading someone's account of a race where they trained on the beverage the race site said they would offer and found out during the race they were offering the low carb diet version of the drink which meant many running the race didn't have the carbs they were used to getting and ran of energy.