Healthy UK food ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    For 119 calories, these are, to me, the nicest dessert I've had in a long, long time!

toffee-honeycomb-sundae.jpg

I like these too. I do kind of agree with Matt on the branding thing although, I don't mind paying a bit extra for portion control (because I don't always have the self control to take care of it myself!!). I think the key is really to check the range of products and not just assume the weight watchers or be good to yourself or whatever ones are the best - they def do have some good stuff though.
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love nakd cocoa and date bars. fantastic chocolaty taste, crumbly yet a bit gooey. also you know theres some vitamins and minerals from the dates and cashews.
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I find the M&S Simply Fuller Longer range to be very good. The Seafood Linguine With Prawns, Scallops and Lochmuir Salmon is my favourite and only 400 calories!
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I just made a really tasty healthy snack from a "recipe" in the BBC Good Food magazine so felt the need to share with the Team UK group :)

SPICY CHICK PEAS

Preheat oven to 220 deg C / 200 deg C (fan) / Gas Mark 7

Drain and dry a 400g can of chick peas. Put in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of chilli powder, mix together and then lay out in one layer on a baking tray.

Cook for 25 minutes. Take out and leave to cool, option to add sea salt if desired and then makes enough for 4 portions at just under 100 cals per portion.
  • theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've discovered Scottish Slimmers venison sausages, think they're only available at the mo in scotland but they're only 55 cal per sausage and really tasty and meaty, not like the usual low-fat sausage filled with rice etc to bulk out.
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    My favourite healthy foods at the moment:

1) Fage 0% Greek yogurt. And the version that includes a little corner of fruit compote in blueberry or strawberry flavours.

Fage 0% is amazing!

Little tip for a low cal veggie tasty fajitas...

tinned kidney beans seasoned with garlic, fresh chillies, tom puree, hot paprika, encona hot pepper sauce, dash of barons banana ketchup.
    Fage 0% greek yogurt with lemon juice, paprika and fresh chopped chives as sour cream alternative (super tasty!)
    served with rocket salad and drizzle of lemon olive oil and mashed avacado with raw garlic or low fat supermarket gaucamole.
    Can also add grilled peppers.

Also with 05 greek yogurt...Lamb Kebabs with tzatziki

mix minced lamb, fresh mint, fresh corriander, garlic, fine chopped chillies (optional), season with salt and pepper, then wrap around soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers to make kebabs, grill for 5-10 mins or heat in hot griddle pan.
    Whilst cooking make the tzatziki by stirring in fine chopped cucumber into yogurt with juice of half a lemon and garlic paste or fine chopped garlic, stir in a dash of good quality olive oil and some paprika.

Then serve kebabs on top of a green leafy salad dressed with lashings of fresh lemon juice and a dollop of tzatziki. Can also add a fine chopped red onion, mixed pepper and corriander salad. Super tasty.
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    Also for RISOTTO lovers, I made a fab creamy rich risotto by using spray oil instead of butter and low fat cream cheese stirred in at end. It tasted a lot naughtier than it was!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've discovered Scottish Slimmers venison sausages, think they're only available at the mo in scotland but they're only 55 cal per sausage and really tasty and meaty, not like the usual low-fat sausage filled with rice etc to bulk out.

Tesco also have a venison range - sausages, burgers and 'proper' meat. Low fat and tasty.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I go for the 2% or 5% fat Fage greek yoghurt now as it so much nicer than the 0%. My favourite way is to blast some frozen blueberries in the microwave for 30 seconds until they soften, then mix in the fage (it goes all swirly and purple :happy: ) and add a little drizzle of honey. I can never believe it has so few calories for how good it tastes, it's like eating clotted cream. My big bowl, 200g of yoghurt, comes out just over 200 cal, and it's all natural stuff. I'm maintaining so have few more calories to play with but even so it makes a great breakfast or desert if I fancy one.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I just made a really tasty healthy snack from a "recipe" in the BBC Good Food magazine so felt the need to share with the Team UK group :)

SPICY CHICK PEAS

Drain and dry a 400g can of chick peas. Put in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of chilli powder, mix together and then lay out in one layer on a baking tray.

Cook for 25 minutes. Take out and leave to cool, option to add sea salt if desired and then makes enough for 4 portions at just under 100 cals per portion.

I always bake my chickpeas like this, it's a great mid-morning snack in work. I like to do the same with soybeans and couple of teaspoons of soy sauce, they only need 15 mins in the oven though. It's great for snacking.
  • eireoxford
    eireoxford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This!! They also do 10 cal pots for on the go! Some really nice flavours too!

Just had a Strawberry one tonight for dessert. Much better than I thought it would be!
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    For desert I like Sainsbury's blackcurrant burst ice creams - sort of Solero type things. A cool 77cal if memory serves.

I also like twiglets, partly because they're very filling for 98cal and partly because I like the thought of upsetting the Sodium Police. I'm just contrary like that.

Can identify with the Weightwatchers complaint. Bought their carrot cake slices yesterday. They are merely disappointingly small. You'd have to eat the entire pack to feel like you'd had cake.
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

SPICY CHICK PEAS

I always bake my chickpeas like this, it's a great mid-morning snack in work. I like to do the same with soybeans and couple of teaspoons of soy sauce, they only need 15 mins in the oven though. It's great for snacking.

OMG love these ideas for quick snacks, never even thought of doing that!

I have loads of healthy recipes I love, have my own little recipe book going, here's one of my faves

Turkey Tikka Burgers

whizz in a food processor turkey mince, fresh coriander, one chilli, and a tube of tikka/tandoori/curry paste (whatever you have in). I have also made this without the paste and just put cajun spices in or whatever spices I fancy and added an egg to combine.

Shape into handful size balls and flatten into burgers. Grill on george foreman or under the grill, serve in pitta breads and a 'quick raita' of greek yoghurt and a little mint sauce mixed in.

I make this when I have friends round as it's always a 'crowd pleaser' always gets good comments how tasty they are but low fat.. I also make sweet potato chips to accompany it if I'm feeling like I want a 'burger and chips' night (but it's a healther version so less guilt :) )
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I find the M&S Simply Fuller Longer range to be very good. The Seafood Linguine With Prawns, Scallops and Lochmuir Salmon is my favourite and only 400 calories!

I love the Green Thai Curry.... yum...!!!!
    But since using MFP, I realise that although packaged food like these are low in cals.... they're quite high in sodium....

SPICY CHICK PEAS

I'm going to definitely try this.... I absolutely love chick peas... and I have so many cans in my cupboard....

I also make sweet potato chips to accompany it if I'm feeling like I want a 'burger and chips' night (but it's a healther version so less guilt :) )

I want to try this as well, do you just cut up the sweet potato and put in the oven? Do you use any oil spray?

5) ^^ Having said that, My own mince pies are under 80 cals a pop. You'd probably want to have 2 at a time though because they are tiny and very very good :laugh:

Sounds lovely.... recipe please....!

Anyway, rant over, I like to use extra light Philadelphia. It's so versatile. You can have it in sandwiches, on a baked potato, use a load of recipes. All sorts of stuff. Supermarkets all do their own brand light cheese spread too, which is cheaper and tasty too.

This is a staple in my breakfast.... I have it on toast... a way to add protein to my meal... I like the fact you can get it in mini pots, so I don't end up having the normal sized packet away when it goes off
  • KarlDR
    KarlDR Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I want to try this as well, do you just cut up the sweet potato and put in the oven? Do you use any oil spray?

When I make sweet potato chips I cut them up, boil them very slightly just to soften the outside, then drain them, put the lid on the saucepan and shake! They go nice and fluffy on the outside which then makes them crunchy when they cook. I spray a baking tray with oil and then spread the chips out, spray the top and put them in the oven on a high heat until cooked.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    My favourite healthy foods at the moment:

1) Fage 0% Greek yogurt. And the version that includes a little corner of fruit compote in blueberry or strawberry flavours.

4) Brussel sprouts - bring on Christmas, 'sans' all the mince pies and 'avec' the yummy seasonal veg.

i love the fage yogurt with with the little corner of honey. yummy :-)

i also love brussel sprouts if they are not soggy
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    some of my favourites are:

1. weight watchers fruit fromage and also their yogurts.

2. rude health fruity date oats. so far i have only found this in waitrose. it is fantastic

2. M&S deep filled roast british chicken and pesto flatbread. only 310 calories!