Someone had to do it!

HMonsterX
HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
C'mon people...best game ever? How do you judge it? What makes a game the best ever?

For me, It's either Zelda: Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy VII. Based on first playthrough fun, lastability, secrets, gameplay, and value for money.

WoW would ofc be high, but the value for money part is dubious, and too much of the grind...

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    My husband seems to think that Final Fantasy 10 was one of the best along with Zelda.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    As far as MMO's -- nothing will ever compare to original Ultima Online with the world pvp, house robbing, body stealing, pick pocketing, adrenaline filled nights of carnage :)
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    My favorite would have to be Final Fantasy Tactics. That's one of the few ones I can fire up and play through and still enjoy it just as much as I did the first time.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    I would have to say Ocarina of Time or Kingdom Hearts.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    All time? A Link to the Past. Probably just nostalgic, but that's always my preference before Ocarina. Although there are no bad Zelda games.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Sounds like Ocarina of Time is a heavy favorite and can't say I disagree. Personally I would place FF7 over it, but to each their own... I may get criticized for this because its not really a single player or campaign style game and there is NO story-line... but I could play Goldeneye or Mariokart on N64 with my friends for days (and I have...)
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Well, Ive played a LOT of Fallout 3.
    I'm the only person ever to fall in love with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I swear. (the newer one wasnt that good tho)

I adore the FEAR series. I loved a lot of Sega games.

I'm not the one to ask, really. I like unpopular games (save for Fallout)
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Best game ever? Probably Tetris. It's so simple, yet can keep anyone entertained for hours.

My personal favourite game? Now that's a much harder question. I wrote a list of my top 50 games of all time a year or so ago, and Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus was at the top of it. It's still up there somewhere, but Final Fantasy 6 is probably up there too. And LoZ: Wind Waker. I don't know. There are too many great games to choose from.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Final Fantasy VII. Though my boyfriend insists VIII is better but I never played that one.
    Other than that alot of my old favourites are from the PS1, Crash Bandicoot, Oddworld, Spyro haha.
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Half-Life 2,

And Discs of Tron (arcade game from the 80's)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    As far as MMO's -- nothing will ever compare to original Ultima Online with the world pvp, house robbing, body stealing, pick pocketing, adrenaline filled nights of carnage :)
    I'm heard many stories about Ultima Online. :)
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    I can only offer up my favorites.

Online games:

Call of Duty games minus World at War - didn't care for that one much
    MechAssault....yes the original, all those years ago.
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Left 4 Dead
    Rainbow Six games...any and all Black Arrow was pretty awesome back in the day and I was a fan of the first Vegas one.

Offline:

Fable...all of them
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Splinter Cell
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Tales_of_Symphonia_Front_Page.jpg
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Favourite Games... hmmm, tricky.

Boardgames:
    Talisman, munchkin, any of the catan ones.

Single Player RPG:
    I think planescape torment for the storyline & the fantastic selection of companions - a floating skull with a thing for zombies - brilliant!. All of the elder scrolls for sheer size & freedom. I'm also enjoying Fallout NV at the moment.

"Other" Computer-based:
    Civilisation, for that addictive "just one more turn because I'll get ...." then looking at the clock & realising it's 3am & there's work the next day!!

MMO's:
    Hmmm. I'm waiting on SWTOR - I'll answer after I've played that!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    The PC Best games ever:

HomeWorld and Cataclysm
    Oblivion
    StarFleet Command II and III
    Delta Force
    Civilization III and IV
    Wolfenstein
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Doom 3
    Wing Commander
    Space Quest (all of them)
    Halo
    SWKOR II (The Sith Lords)
    Command & Conquer
    Legion 7
    Need for Speed
    Splinter Cell

many more I can't think of right now.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Hmm...tough.

Oblivion
    Diablo 2
    Ultima Online
    Everquest (first one)
    World of Warcraft
    Star Wars Galaxies (pre-cu)
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Civilization 4
    Mount and Blade

..the list goes on.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    I don't know about the best game ever, but my personal favorites are Animal Crossing (the original GC version), FFX, and The Sims: Medieval. There are plenty of games out there that I think are better games, I just don't happen to enjoy playing them. I think Bioshock is possibly one of the best games in the last decade, but I can't play it because it's scary.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I missed the fun in Ultima Online but started in MMO's with EQ1. EQ2 was crap and then I transitioned to WoW until 2009 when I quit for good. I played more than I worked.

MW's are hella fun and I prefer them now since I can just pop in, play a couple of matches and quit. I haven't tried the new BF yet.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Are there no Assassins Creed fans out there? C'Mon guys - no-one fancies themselves as Ezio reborn? Bring on the 18th!! WOOT WOOT!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    This is tough! I would have to say Oblivion and EQ2.