Keeping Motivation without Weight Loss

Options
jrueckert
jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
I don't know about other pregnant ladies, but for me, it's been really hard to want to workout and eat healthy when I'm not seeing results. I know I shouldn't be losing weight right now, but that was a big motivator for me when I was losing weight before I got pregnant. It kept me motivated every day just picturing that scale dropping. Now, I've had to find other motivators, like my baby's health and having an easier pregnancy and such. Those are super important, but not super instantaneous. I can't see the results of those things right NOW. So in the end, what actually gets me to the gym is looking in the mirror and seeing that, not only is my tummy growing, but the cellulite on my butt is too ;)

Replies

• SheaHF
    SheaHF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We are TTC, and I am super worried, not only about gaining weight during my pregnancy, but not having the strong motivation--just like what you are talking about! Seeing the scale drop is a huge motivator for me (maybe more than it should be), so I am worried I will want to give into the temptations of letting go a little during those (sometimes LONG) 9 months! I am very curious as to what works for others!
  • Melatonin
    Melatonin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm still having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I shouldn't be loosing. Plus my doc told me that I can only gain 15 pounds, which I think might be hard. My first two I gained 50lbs and this time around I know I can keep it limited but before I was smart too.

I know I gotta do whats best so I'm gonna watch it really close and even if I'm exhausted I still put the clothes on and go to the gym. Its a start right :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    jrueckert, I totally understand the motivation seeing the scale drop (before prego). Now I'm still trying to use the scale as one of my motivation - don't go up too fast. :-)
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I started eating healthy and working out like crazy in Jan. of this year. Eating right wasn't the hard part, but OMG the workouts in the beginning almost killed me. Was sore for days in the beginning. After about 4 months of working out for over an hour sometimes twice a day I had great results and lost 28lbs. That is a huge motivation for me. I know I will have to up the workout mode again, but I don't want to feel like I did in the beginning of my journey. That was hard work and I refuse to let myself get that out of shape again.

I also aim to only gain 1 - 2 lbs per month and so far so good. I'm 27 weeks and I've gained 10 lbs. Hoping I will only gain 10 more by the end. It is super hard to watch the scale go up after I worked so hard and actually became obsessed with it going down............but it's all for my lil' baby girl who will be worth it all in the end.
  • Jessaamine
    Options
    I'm having trouble eating enough. I've been pretty happy eating my 1200-1400 cal per day for the last year so trying to suddenly double that has been daunting. Any idea what has potassium in it besides bananas? Prenatals don't have it and I hate bananas.
  • DaNcNChIc24
    DaNcNChIc24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    www.vitammins-minerals-in-food.com/potassium-rich-foods-list.php is a great website for explaining which foods and how much of each to eat
  • faithhergy
    Options
    For motivation, I think of what I want to look like after the baby comes. When I want to give up, I just think about what size jeans I want to wear after the baby comes and repeat that in my head.

There are definitely days that I'm not motivated, but as a mom of an 11 months old and being due w #2 in 2 months, I want to stay in shape not just for my body, but for my girls...I want to be active and make it part of our life so that they are active, so that I can live a long healthy life and enjoy them, I want to be able to keep up with them without feeling exhausted. I want to set an example for them.

There are so many ways to stay motivated...yes, they are long term, but starting now to be healthy so that our kiddos grow up healthy is a great motivation.

Keep up the good work! Remember to ask your doctor where your heart rate should be. Mine recommended keeping it below 140 while I'm preggo...this was an adjustment for me, but if it's best for the baby, I'm willing to do it!
  • SheaHF
    SheaHF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am pregnant! My first pregnancy was filled with morning sickness and working hard to eat and not LOSE weight. This pregnancy is the exact opposite--even in my first trimester! I am SOOO hungry ALL the time! AND I am tired a lot, which makes it hard to be motivated to exercise. Because of this, I am finding it hard to be motivated too! I want to stay fit, but I just feel like eating and sleeping all the time. Any recommendations?
  • kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was really tired my first tri as well...I had to find a good prenatal and I slept when i could not much else. I would go to bed early and then on my at home days sleep when my son takes his afternoon nap ( I still do this) and on work days sleep at lunch or if I got to work early...hang in there the energy will come back soon.