Intro thread!

Options
2»

Replies

• 50poundmonkey
    Options
    Hey from Texas! I play year round at 4.0 and 4.5 levels and am on many teams. Have played off and on since I was 10. Very busy soccer mom, wife, and sales rep. Trying to lose 50lbs... woops I mean 45 now! :-) I'm pretty fast on the court and have a big forehand and play singles, dubs and mixed. Love playing and would do so everyday if my life and job permitted. Love hearing stories from the courts!
  • ryoryo
    ryoryo Posts: 5
    Options
    Also from Texas. I'm about a 3.5 player, and play singles and doubles. I've only really been playing for about 4 years, and I love it! I'd like to develop into a 4.0 player, but I have trouble with my mental game in matches -- I play so much better in drills, even when I don't know what's coming. This is also a good motivation for me to lose weight. I haven't been able to play as much as I like lately, but hopefully this summer I can get out on the court more.

If anyone is in the Dallas area and would like to play sometime, message me!

R
  • javierdjeu
    javierdjeu Posts: 1
    Options
    If there is anyone in the socal area that would like to hit some time! message me!
  • kutari
    kutari Posts: 1
    Options
    Why hello everyone! Im in good ol San Antonio TX! I started playing in 2011 November, but I believe I've improved so drastically it's insane! I almost wonder what if I had played during highschool and college? Now I'll never know, but I'm having the time of my life out on the court. I guess I would consider myself a 3.5? I'm gonna be signing up on USTA to finally begin my ranked games! So excited!

I played when I was younger, but never had formal training. My form was horrible and I was incredibly inaccurate and inconsistent. Now after highschool (5 years ago) A friend of mine from the team started teaching me cause I really wanted to learn. Then, after 4-5 days a week practicing on a wall or just serves, and many youtube videos later, I'm now able to keep up with him and other players that started when they were much younger!

Hope to meet some of u guys out there! 加油!
  • psanoja
    psanoja Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I played when I was younger, but never had formal training. My form was horrible and I was incredibly inaccurate and inconsistent. Now after highschool (5 years ago) A friend of mine from the team started teaching me cause I really wanted to learn. Then, after 4-5 days a week practicing on a wall or just serves, and many youtube videos later, I'm now able to keep up with him and other players that started when they were much younger!

Hope to meet some of u guys out there! 加油!
    Sounds familiar. I also started playing last year. It would a year to this date. Congrats on your dedication. Practicing really pays off. When I started playing it was so hard to get partners to play doubles. nobody wanted me in their team. Now I can pick and choose--although what I like is singles. My advice, find a USTA certified trainer and take some lessons. You wouldn't believe what a difference it makes. I took lessons for about six months with a division II college player. It helped somewhat. I joined a tennis club and now am receiving lessons with the club pro, and every lesson improves something in my game: footing, pacing, then backhand and forehand. If you have the natural ability and determination to get better, it will improve your game dramatically and rapidly.
    Good luck, and welcome to the group.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I love having found this group. I am addicted to tennis. I have been playing since I was 12 and converted from being a baseball player all of my younger years. Played on the NELTA tour for a bit when I was just starting college and played on a division 1 college team for a year - well practiced more than played. Living in New Hampshire and I do get to play year round outdoor/indoor clubs. Play at a high 4.0 level. I haven't played in any tournament in a while but maybe at the end of this summer although I am playing in a singles/doubles weekly league at the club. I follow the pro game quite a bit and compete in all kinds of on line grand slam brackets predicting matches and have a few friends here who do the same.

I have been to the US Open a handful of times, Penn Pilot Tennis Tournament in Conn, Stowe Mtn tournament in Vt where I saw Agassi when he was first starting out with the acid wash jeans (although he lost to David Wheaton) and saw Michael Chang for the first time up close - his thighs are huge. Got to Rhode Island this year to the Hall of Game grass tournament where I have found a job for next year - volunteering as a tennis model and playing tennis on the grass court in the entrance. Models dress in early tennis clothing and play with wood racquets, jazz playing in the background, interesting atmosphere.

Currently coaching a high school team and love being back in the mix.

Talk to you all soon.
    Michael
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    How do I sign up to be a tennis model at the Hall of Fame tournament, that is soooo cool and it would be a huge motivator to keep on track. We made the pilgramage to Newport a few years back and my husband Loved playing on the grass courts because he is king of the drop shot. Did you see the Isner/Hewitt final? I hope John has the same results back at Wimbledon for the olympics. Congrats for being so close to goal.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hello guys! I'm Veronique and I'm from Oregon (probably the saddest place weather-wise for tennis). I've played at the varsity level all through high school. I played mainly doubles with a great partner who is also my best friend. I also played some singles my sophomore year. I don't care what I'm playing, I love the game! I am starting college in the fall and am planning on playing club tennis there.
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi I'm Anne from Marietta, GA and was so happy to find this group! I'm a tennis junkie for sure and play 2-4 days per week. I play Alta, USTA and sometimes Ultimate Tennis and love singles for workouts and doubles for fun. The reason I joined MFP was because my usta team was going to states the spring and I was pretty nervous about sustaining 5 matches over 3 days! So I set off to lose some weight and get stronger. My usta level is 4.5 and my goal is to keep improving my net game and footwork in 2012. I've been lifting lately and that's helped my serve become stronger - yeah! So I would love some tips on good footwork!

My favorite tennis advice is: doubles is good for your singles and singles is good for your doubles. Playing both can really help your over all game.
  • gullee
    gullee Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi. I am from Texas as well, like several others who posted.

I played tennis from 8-19 years old, ending it after one year in Div1 which sapped the love of tennis from me.

Last July, after 8 years out of the game I started again, 70 lbs heavier. I now play 4-5 days a week, including USTA 4.5 league tennis. In the meantime, I have lost ~25 lbs.

Recently I have been suffering from injuries. I have strained my hamstring a couple of times during the last few months, which forced me to sit out several weeks. Currently I am forced to sit out because of a wrist injury. I have now started lifting weights to strengthen my muscles in order to avoid injuries.

PS: I have often received compliments on having an elegant single-handed backhand, but I have never liked it much because it lacks the power required to really move the opponent around on the court. I finally decided to switch to a two-hander, and was in the process of switching before the wrist injury happened. The power I was getting was amazing, but the finesse was lacking because of the newness of the stroke.