Introduce yourself!

Options
Hi, I'm Rebecca. I live in Central Florida so I get to play tennis year round! I usually play singles, either with my husband or in an informal competitive league (mostly men). I have a strong first serve and reliable backhand. I love how my weight loss has made me a better (faster) defensive player!

Just noticed someone else posted an intro thread at the same time - let's use the other one!

Replies

• FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was really glad to see this group. I'm an avid tennis player who's game has suffered greatly from weight gain. I played some D2 College tennis in Pennsylvania in a little over 10 years ago. Following that I played for fun, then stepped up my game in 2005-2006 to start playing some Mens Open tournaments in Philadelphia. I was 25 at the time, working out a lot and weighed between 155-160. The was the peak of my game. Since then, I finished law school and got a job as an overworked underpaid attorney, got married, and got a dog. In the midst of all of that I lost my workout habits and stopped playing competitive singles. I'm now weighing in at around 210, and my singles game is in SHAMBLES! My knees bother me after a hard court match and I even find myself tired after competitive doubles. I would love to play some more mens singles tournaments before I turn 35 (I'm now 32), because i feel like I could still compete at a high level if my weight were closer to 165-170. I could really use some help and support to get there.

Nick
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Phil and I live in South Mississippi. The weather is usually warm enough to play tennis year round. I'm a recreational player and play in a league locally. Tennis anyone? :-)
  • psanoja
    psanoja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Pedro, and I live a few miles from Philadelphia, in Drexel Hill. The weather here is not nice, but I play year round regardless of conditions--except for wet, snowy, or exceptionally windy days. I re-started playing 9 months ago. I became a member of two nice tennis communities close by. One is formed by people of all backgrounds, but mostly very experienced senior players. I'm 46 and I'm by far the youngest of them all. They taught me everything I know about tennis. The second community is by far more challenging, formed by mostly 4.0 players. I'm a 3.0, although I've been told that I rated myself too low, and that when I start playing in leagues this summer I may be re-ranked.
    I play every day, two to three hours a day. In addition, I take lessons once a week with a University of the Sciences NCAA Division II tennis player. I have improved in leaps and bounds and can't wait to shed the excess weight to improve my game. When I started playing, I was 246 pounds. Today, I'm 218 and I have noticed improvement in court coverage, speed, and in my overall game--particularly my footing.
    I just noticed this thread and can't tell you how excited I am with the prospects of exchanging views on weight loss and tennis.
    My regards to all!
  • Steph40uk
    Steph40uk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Stephanie and I live in North Berwick, Scotland. You may not believe it but even in Scotland w get to play most of the year, the only time we can't play is when there is frost on the courts, but we play in snow, rain and win. I joined fitness pal three weeks ago and am really loving it!

My biggest problem at the moment is running out of energy, I think because I'm not eating enough protein and carbs, if anyone has any low sodium, high protein recipes, I'd be interested to have them.

I have a Babolat XS 109 racket and am finding it a bit like a trampoline at the moment, any suggestions as to another racket, same weight and balance but more control would be welcome too!

Steph