Greetings from the Captain / Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Colleen and I'm an animal health technologist (part time now, since having kids) and I love biology. I am more familiar with the A & P of animals, though :ohwell: I enjoy learning the "whys" of successful weight loss and I've enjoyed the Captains posts in the forums and I'm excited about this group.
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am studying a B. Medical Science, only in my first year, but loving it so far. I am working toward entry into medical school. I'm originally from a graphic design background. I was really excited to find this group as I am always looking for opportunities to learn new things and I enjoy discussion about science and healthcare.
  • DebbieEdwards1020
    DebbieEdwards1020 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm a SAHM of two boys, and work from home as a Human Resources/Benefits Administrator for a small company. No science schooling to speak of...just curiosity with the brain and how it relates to weight loss. :)
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    Hey folks! Name is Tim. Although my "specialty" in science leans toward the astronomical, I'm interested in a wide variety of the sciences. Biology in particular, since it not only directly relates to my current endeavor to become healthier and more fit, but also may help explain how I was sidelined a number of years ago with arthritis, and how I might mitigate its effects to lead a more active and fulfilling lifestyle, and if I dare to dream, perhaps permit me to re-enter the work force.

In my former "lives", I've done everything from public relations to residential mortgage banking to quality improvement for a large health care facility. My educational background is actually in history and languages, but you do what you have to in order to bring in a paycheck, and there isn't a big call for historic-minded linguists these days.

I'm also single (never married) but there's a certain terrific young lady who's working real hard to remedy that little problem! :bigsmile:
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ashley. I'm a pharmacy school student and also have a B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics. I love the sciences and enjoy applying them to my weight loss. Going to have to check out the blog, seems like everyone really enjoys it!
  • nrdevers
    nrdevers Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    HI I'm Naomi - and I'm an RN on a med-surg unit. I'm currently working on my master's in nursing education. I'm currently neck deep in pathophysiology.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Greetings. My name is Alan.

I have a 2 year degree in computer programming.
    I am a Licensed Massage Therapist.
    I work as an outside field technician for Verizon.
    I am a BeachBody coach and P90X graduate.
    I write a scathing, sarcastic, and harsh blog here on MFP which attracted the attention of this group's creator, as well as a few of the members.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

My name is Melissa, also with a nickname "Missiles" like the other Melissa on here--because a child I used to babysit couldn't pronounce my name either. I'm about 3 classes away from finishing my Geography BA, currently a SAHM to an 11 month old son, happily married.

I've always been fascinated by the body and science--and in fact would love to go to medical school, if it weren't so competitive and expensive. This seems like a really interesting group.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm Linda. :smile: My degree is somewhat stale now - a BSc in Food Science with a minor in Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals (from UoG, for my fellow Canadians) - I've retained just enough of what I learned to annoy my friends and frustrate myself! In order to get my minor I got to touch on many areas that fascinated me - pathology, nutritional toxicology, epidemiology, etc. I worked briefly in the food industry (product development, regulatory and risk management) but returned to my true love, horses. I'm directly involved with Thoroughbred racehorses and enjoy the nutrition and exercise physiology involved, and inevitably compare it to human health. I would love to do a masters in that area, if I can ever pry myself away from the horses. :tongue:
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody !

My name is Jose, and I am an electronics engineer, with a strong interest in biology and the human body.
    I am pretty sure I would have elected a career as an MD, should electronics not had been such an interesting field to me.

I love to find out how things work, and the human body is no exception.

I am looking forward to read posts from you and others at this group, in particular for nutrition and weight reduction subjects !
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Alicia :flowerforyou:

I work as a drafter for a civil engineer. Although I don't work or study in the sciences my youngest is interested in pursuing a career in neuroscience. We've had some interesting discussions on brain function and chemical reactions and in so doing, I've found a great fascination with how the body responds to nutrition and exercise as well as other outside influences.

I have a great appreciation for intellectual discussion and am a life long student <albeit not at school>. Thank you to Steve for your humourous, insightful, and most importantly, informative blogs - and for creating this space to further my education :bigsmile:

<ps...wish there were more teachers like you out there>
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Christina...a 1st year law student OBSESSED with all things health, fitness, and nutrition related.

My knowledge comes from reading peer-reviewed research articles, observation, and experimentation. I don't buy into the bologna that many mainstream health "professionals" spew.

I'm looking to learn some more, engage in intellectual/friendly/useful debates about human physiology and weight management, and hopefully make some friends along the way! :)
  • mom12
    mom12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Molly, I love to learn the underlying science behind the way things work. I am a nurse (mostly in the ICU) and have 2 kids. My whole life I have been off again on again physically active. Last january I had a syndesmosis rupture of my righ tnakle and also broke the fibula up near my knee snowtubing with my kids. This slowed me down...stopped me actually for a long time, and I am still recovering from it. I gained weight, lost strenght, and I am now trying to get back at least to where I once was, but hopefully even better because I have almost always been overweight.
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My name is Louisa, I'm an accountant and auditor. Which means I do everything by the book and I need to understand the process before I can apply a solution.
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just realized I never introduced myself. My name is Angela. I am an Audiologist. Two beautiful boys. Married to the Captain. :love: That about covers it.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Mandy! I'm a medical laboratory scientist at a small community hospital in northern Indiana. I love the sciences! My friend joined this group and I found it through her, so here I am!:happy:
  • moonshadow07
    Options
    Hi I have been a physical therapist for 30 years... Fitness...When I graduated they called it jogging and Jane Fonda exercises... most people just thought it was a fad. How things have changed. Most of my newly graduated peers have been well schooled in exercise physiology and nutrition... something I am still trying to learn more about. Hope I can learn more here.... Willing to help if anyone has a question I can answer, have 10 years experience working with acute injuries, 10 with special needs pediatric and 10 more in geriatric.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm an environmental research scientist. Obviously, nutrition and physiology aren't my areas of expertise, but I do like to know that my dietary information has solid scientific backing, as there is so much mumbo jumbo out there! I think I have a pretty good eye for what is legitimate science and what is nonsense, and I always appreciate information from those who really knwo what they are talking about.
  • MizTashers
    Options
    Hi!

I am Tasha, and I am currently a Biotech major at a community college in Athens, GA. After I get my biotech degree, I plan on transferring to a larger college to eventually obtain my doctorate in Biochemistry (I know it is going to be extremely difficult but I am determined). I am working my butt off in school to keep my 4.0 (and my hardest classes right now I actually have an A and one of those I am the only person in the class with an A). I look forward to meeting some other scientists.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My name is Datenshi. I am a Technology Support Analyst. I went to university and took some courss in biology, nutrition, psychology, and community health before I had to drop out for health reasons. I am here to learn more about those areas so that I can make informed choices and decisions regarding weight loss, nutrition, and leading a healthy lifestyle.

Take care,
    Datenshi