"Fat, Sick and Nearly dead"

Options
Hi,
On October 3rd I saw "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." I was so inspired that I pulled out my Champion juicer and started juicing the next day. The champion yields a lot of juice but it heats up quite a bit. To overcome this I tossed in a couple icecubes a few times while juicing. I then bought a Jack Lalaine juicer but took it back after the first couple days. It gave me only about half the juice as my champion. I got a breville juice fountain on ebay and it works great. No heat issue and it gives me almost the same yield as the champion. I juiced for 10 days. Nothing but fresh vegetable and fruit juice. Some tasted very bad but most were pleasant. GET RECIPES BEFORE YOU START! I lost 22 pounds in ten days. The first three days were BAD. Can you say "HEADACHE"? After that it was easy. I would have done it longer but wanted to try some vegan recipes I had been reading about. Dr Fuhrman, in the movie has several books on nutrition. I was reading them at the same time and the food sounded delicios. It is!. When I started eating solid foods again I gained about five pounds due to food in my digestive track.

Replies

• mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've done a few day fasts and was about to start a week fast, but immediately broke my juicer with a beet....

I need a better juicer and am totally ready to give it a shot. I hear that the more dependent you are on sugar, caffeine, and the like the longer the bad phase at the start lasts. I guess that is the reset..?
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    I would have to agree with you as I was drinking coffee right up to starting the first time and it was B A D. But this time around I have had nothing processed, sweet or caffinated for almost a month and have had no ill effects.
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Last winter I always made fresh juice! Mostly I drank the juice during the day and had dinner in the evening!

I plan to start this again in the next weeks!
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    I think the key to staying with it is to picture all the fresh fruits and veggies that you are drinking. Think about how bad you felt when you weren't juicing. How good is it going to feel after 2 months of giving your body great nutritian? I just walked 1.5 miles. That is a feat since my feet have hurt in the resent past so badly it has limited my outings.

Good health to all!
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    Well, This is day 11 0f 60. I feel pretty good. Ihave lost 14 pounds this go round. Last night (sleeping) was tough! I woke up a couple times thinking I had just been to a buffet... I was clearing my table when I realized I was supposed to be on a juice fast.
    [wake] OH IT WAS JUST A DREAM!!!!
  • stormchaser3
    stormchaser3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was on the juice diet for 21 days. Lost 20 pounds. It really did reboot me. I no longer crave bad food. 80% of my health problems went away. I am juicing now until Thanksgiving
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    I was on the juice diet for 21 days. Lost 20 pounds. It really did reboot me. I no longer crave bad food. 80% of my health problems went away. I am juicing now until Thanksgiving

When did you do the 21 days?

I am on day 14 today. Yesterday was tough. I almost broke. EVERYTHING smelled wonderful and every injury I have ever had seemed to ache. Did you have any such experiences?
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    Day 14 of 60,
    I have lost 16 pounds as of this morning. I am fitting into some of my old clothes. The pants I was wearing last month would hit the floor if I hadn't punched some new holes in my belt.

I am not really experiencing hunger as I have known it. However, yesterday I wanted to eat everything I saw or could smell. I think that this may be because I juiced quite a bit of produse 3 days ago and have been drinking this for the last three days. Perhaps the nutrients weren't as high as they would have been freshly juiced. I will be making fresh juice today.

I would really like it if people would post thier experiences in detail. Was/is your sleep being affected? How were/are your energy levels? Do you think it was worth it? Unexpected side effects? How long did you make it compared to your original goal?
    What have you done since your juice fast to maintain your health?

My feet which have been rough for over 20 years are getting softer. However my elbow is getting dry. I don't know if these are from the juice fast or the weather. Also, it feels as if I have a small rock in the back of my throat. It is not painful, I can just feel something there when I swallow. My plan is to eat 80-90% vegan meals with the other 10-20% Fish and /or chichen with the occasional beef or pork. But, of course, It won't be a 20-ounce porterhouse. It might be 3-4 ounces in a stirfry. (oilless)
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    Day 15 of 60

!/4 the way there. I have lost another pound this morning. I was getting a little discouraged a couple days ago but I have made it 25% of the way already. It is not that hard if you keep your eye on the prize. I looked at my legs today. I have vericose veins...well I used to. I can't see them any more. I can feel the spot that they used to be in but they are not red and purple.

Anyone else can just jump in here!
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    Day 16 of 60
    Well, I was out all day and so I made the mistake of not juicing today. Of course, I didn't eat either, since I am on this 60 day commitment.
    I was bent down looking on a lower shelf, stood up quickly and you guessed it. "OUT GO DA LIGHTS" I caught myself before I hit the floor. I will remember to take juice with me next time!
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    Day 17 of 60
    WOW! that was a shocker. I stepped on the scale this morning and had lost almost 3 pounds since yesterday! I was sure that my weight loss was slowing down. That is 18.6 pounds in 17 days. I am almost possitive I will not see another loss for a couple days now. But I will keep checking each morning. Any aprehension I have had with keeping to my goal is gone today.
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    day 19
    I am a little low on energy. Not hungry so havent been juicing enough. I need to drink more juice! lost another pound today. I am getting some pimples. I have been told that may be toxins working thier way out. The rock in my throat has lessened.
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    Day 20of 60
    WOW. Last night I dreamed that I ate everything in sight! I was so upset with myself for ending my juice fast. I wasn't sure when I woke up if I had eaten or not. Until I stepped on the scale. NOPE, must not have. I lost another 1.6 pounds. One more and I will have lost the same already as all last month! It seems every time I get discouraged I lose more weight. :happy:
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    Day 21
    I thought about giving up yesterday. I got dressed and was on my way out the door to go get some sushi. I stood there for a minute and decided that if I still needed to get sushi today I could do it. I don't think so this morning. Last night I watched Man v. Food on NetFlix. I watched about 6 episodes. Some of the food looked good until he started eating it. I had never noticed how many of the people that appear on the show are way over healthy weight. In one show he ate a 72 ounce steak in one sitting. I could make that last two weeks in stir-fry’s or on salads. (for two or three people) When I used to watch the show it always made me hungry. Last night it had the opposite effect. I went to bed thinking I will never feel the need to eat like that again. I once ate a big burger challenge in Las Vegas. It was about 5 pounds I think. It took me 34 minutes and my name is on the wall there. I was miserable. I also ate a 54 ounce steak dinner also in Vegas. Today (two months from now) give me a big salad and it will satisfy me much better.

Today I hit a milestone. 50 pounds! I was wondering if I would ever see this weight. I have a long way to go. I am not sure about my final goal weight though. The lightest I have been in the last 20 years is 238. I have a goal of 170. Every person I tell that goal says that is too much to lose. I will stop trying to lose weight when I feel I have lost enough. People tell me that at my height I should weigh 220. That is a 50 pound gap. Well, I don't have to worry about it today. I will worry about it next year.
  • stormchaser3
    stormchaser3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

When did you do the 21 days?

I am on day 14 today. Yesterday was tough. I almost broke. EVERYTHING smelled wonderful and every injury I have ever had seemed to ache. Did you have any such experiences?

8/22/11 was when i started and have been dieting ever since
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hello--
    Thanks for posting your updates. My partner and I just started the Reboot Standard Program on Friday. It's 5 days of eating, 5 juicing and 5 eating. We are both vegan, so the changes we had to make were minimal, but still significant, no processed food so that means no tofu tempeh or veggie burgers. Cutting down the caffeine and white sugar the week before really made a difference, i can't imagine jumping in from my 'normal' diet to juicing. I like this transitional period.... Just wanted to say hi!
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! I am currently trying to detox from caffeine as I drank nearly a pot of coffee a day. I am currently on day 3 and it is SO hard. I want to start my juice fast after Christmas. I am eating more fruits than usual and waiting for my omega masticating juicer to arrive in the mail. I am excited, I feel so sluggish and cloudy headed and run down, I think this will give me a refreshing new start to refocus on my goals.
  • Mikelan
    Mikelan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great thread guys. I did a 21 day juice fast in September. Great way to kick off a "lifestyle" change when wanting to get healthy. I have lost almost 70 pounds since September. I am down to the 230 area. I have been focused on weight training mostly recently. I still have some weight around the middle but not much. Starting to see abs form. I am rebooting starting today so I am glad I found your thread. I am new to mfp so I am looking forward to interacting with people that have the same goals. Keep it up Bungee it is so worth it when you succeed. Trust me I know how it feels to watch those scales fall daily. Very rewarding.
  • ak_honda
    ak_honda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread and highly motivational!

I started drinking Naked Green Machine, 8oz for breakfast each day about a month ago now. I felt so much better, and finally got my hands on a brand new Juicer (1st one never, thanks to my parents for xmas). I just made my first juice this morning and OMG I can't believe I never did this sooner!!

I am definitely going to keep coming back here and look for motivation from you!!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! Just found this group! I have been a health researcher for the last 14 years or so, and had the information to transform my life, but after hitch hiking around when I was younger and having three kids ( been nursing and/or pregnant for 7 years) I haven't yet made a big change. In Sept I did Kris Carr's crazy sexy cleanse, well 14 days of the 21. And felt amazing, I recommend everyone read her book! But then I started eating the same as before, lots of flour and eggs and sugar. I am a lacto vegitarian... Over Christmas break I watched fat sick and nearly dead, and my dh and I said Jan 1st is going to be the day!!! We have a green star juicer (the one raw chef juliano recommends) I am still nursing though so I can't do a full fast so I am juicing bfast and dinner and for lunch having a totally vegan, unprocessed no flour no sugar meal. My husband is doing a full 60 day fast. and I will keep up my partial fast in support all the way to march 1st!!!!