Recipes

Options

Replies

• Rivah67
    Rivah67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    the chickpea patties recipe was really nice i just made one and had it in a roll with salad and onion. all i can say is wow it was yummy:flowerforyou:
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just made this and it rocked! Serves one very hungry person. No idea about measurement conversions but there are plenty of websites that can do that :-)

60g red lentils
    1 small cauliflower
    1 onion
    300g button mushrooms
    1 tbsp curry paste of your choice
    Veg stock

Cook lentils and cauli (chopped) in enough veg stock just to cover - add more if needed, you want it to end up nearly dry. Meanwhile fry onions and mushrooms, chopped, in fry spray then add curry paste and cooked lentils/cauli. Spice it up with chilli if needed. Yum!
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Kale Pesto

1 c walnuts
    1 bunch of kale
    3 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1 TB dark miso paste
    1 TB olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

all in a food processor and blend till desired consistancy, sometimes I'll add a bit of water to get it a bit more creamier

I love this on toast or as a dip. Great snack...high in protein and loaded with vitamins. My favorite way to eat kale raw
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My favourite dessert at the moment is a small tub of non-dairy yoghurt, with a scoop (25g) of chocolate protein powder and a teaspoon of ABC nut butter (regular almond or cashew butter would be fine) mixed through. It has the consistency and taste of chocolate mousse. My concoction comes out at 277 cals, 17g carbs, 10g and 28g protein. SO GOOD.
  • geekyrunner
    geekyrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Strawberry, black pepper and balsamic vinegar ice cream:
    Ice cream base
    ½ can low-fat coconut milk
    1 cup soya milk
    ¾ cup agave nectar
    6oz silken tofu
    2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Strawberry syrup
    500 g strawberries, washed and chopped and divided
    1/4 cup water
    1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
    2 tablespoons sugar
    Freshly cracked pepper
    balsamic vinegar

Prepare the ice cream base first by zipping everything in a blender. Put in the refrigerator to chill.

Take 1/2 of the strawberries tip them into a small saucepan, along with the water, arrowroot powder and sugar. Heat gently whilst stirring (you may need to add a little bit more water if it gets too thick), about 7 minutes or until a sauce develops. Take off heat and let cool. Add cracked pepper (I used about 12 twists but add or subtract to taste) and then blend it with the ice cream base. Toss in the rest of the chopped strawberries and chill with a fancy pants ice cream maker if you have one or toss it in the freezer overnight like the rest of us.

Serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Variations: To the base I have also added a bar of melted vegan chocolate and omitted the strawberries to make chocolate ice cream.

I get most of my recipes from Veganomicon, The Vegan Scoop and River Cottage Veg.
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I created these mung bean patties myself (they are similar to falafel):
    1/2 cup dry mung beans, boiled until tender
    1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    2 Tbsp brown rice flour
    2 scallions, chopped
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp curry powder
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    Combine everything in a mini food processor and blend until a thick paste is formed. Form into patties and cook in a skillet, a few minutes each side. This is enough for 4 little patties and probably could be doubled for a larger batch.

Additionally, here is a sinful dessert that I love: http://vegweb.com/recipes/easy-vegan-chocolate-cake
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Kale Orzotto - delicious, easy, low GI food. It's based on a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall recipe. You can spice it up with onions and various other veg but it's great as is.

Ingredients (for 2)

120g spelt/barley

250ml stock

100ml white wine

curly kale

1. Add the spelt or barley to a heavy bottomed pan, just cover with stock and leave (covered with a lid) to simmer for 30-40 minutes until al dente. You may need to keep adding ladles of stock as you don’t want the spelt or barley to catch on the bottom of the pan.

2. Add the wine and simmer with the lid off.

3. Slice a couple of handfuls of curly kale and steam for 4 minutes in another pan.

4. Add the curly kale to the speltotto and stir through
  • DannyeF
    DannyeF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Taco beans
    2 cans black beans rinsed & drained
    1 can pinto beans rinsed & drained
    1 can diced tomatoes in rich juice slightly drained or 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes. juice slightly drained
    1.5 teaspoons each of cumin, coriander, cilantro
    0.5 tsp garlic powder
    dash salt & pepper

Heat/simmer and serve in tortillas with dairy-free guacamole, chopped tomatoes & peppers, salsa, lettuce, etc.
  • CortneyDub
    CortneyDub Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi I just joined this group recently, I'm always keeping my eye out for clean vegan recipes. I also am not a big fan of meat substitutes and don't typically eat tofu, seitan, or vegan dairy products, so I try to think of different ways to use fruits and vegetables. This is a recipe for stuffed bell peppers that I made, pretty simple because everything I make is usually something I can do on a lunch hour :)

Stuffed Peppers:

Red bell pepper (or color or your choice)
    Beans (I used black)
    Scallions
    Red Onion
    Diced tomato
    Diced zucchini
    Cumin
    Oregano
    Olive Oil Spray
    Any other mix of mexican seasoning you'd like
    Salsa (I used a pineapple mango salsa)
    Avocado

Cut bell pepper in half, scoop out seeds and membranes. Roast in oven until just tender. Saute beans, scallions, red onion, diced tomato, zucchini,and seasonings together, then fill each half of the pepper with this mixture. Top with vegan cheese if you like (I didn't), top with any other seasonings you'd like to add and a spray of olive oil, return to oven to bring it all together for a few minutes. Serve with avocado slices and salsa on the side.

This is just a general plan of something simple I like to do, you really can add whatever combo you like :)
  • uhhuthatsright
    uhhuthatsright Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is for when you want a treat but you don't want any leftovers to tempt you.

Homemade pb treats.

1 tablespoon field day organic smooth peanut butter.
    Half tablespoon powdered sugar.

Mix with a fork. Form into a ball and put it in the fridge for a few hours. To me it tastes like peanut butter fudge! I don't eat many sweets though. If you like things sweeter add more sugar. I think this has about 116 calories.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Lately most of my meals have been coming from OhSheGlows or ADashOfCompassion. Both websites have killer vegan recipes and many of them improvise really well. Most are also written in blog form with lots of photos, or you can choose the simply recipe view as well.

So far I've tried many OhSheGlows hot breakfasts & vegan overnight oats. The overnight oats are nice and chewy & ready to go right when you wake up. & her carrot cake oats are such a great twist on oats. Really, I improvise any of her hot cereal recipes with whatever I feel like that day, be it oats, amaranth, quinoa, cream of wheat... or any fun mix & match.

Other great recipes on OhSheGlows that I've tried:
    "burger" recipes
    macN"cheese" sauce (or try the pumpkin version... so good)
    pancake recipes
    spelt crackers (I think that recipe could easily be done with less oil)
    avocado pasta sauce
    soft serves
    broccoli "cheese" soup
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Tried this last night and was soooo happy with it! Family loved it (for the most part)... I did the no oil and margarine option and added some mixed veggies...

Hearty Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients
    8 large or 10 medium potatoes
    2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine*
    1/2 cup rice milk
    Salt to taste
    2 tablespoons olive oil*
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    6 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms
    Two 15-ounce cans lentils, lightly drained but not rinsed (or about 3 1/2 cups cooked lentils with a little of their cooking liquid)
    2 tablespoons dry red wine, optional
    1 to 2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or Bragg’s liquid aminos*
    2 teaspoons seasoning blend (such as Spike or Mrs. Dash)
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
    8 to 10 ounces baby spinach or arugula leaves
    1 cup fresh bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs (gluten-free if needed)

Instructions
    1.Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a small mixing bowl.
    2.Stir the margarine into the potatoes until melted, then add the rice milk and mash until fluffy. Cover and set aside until needed. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    3.While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
    4.Add the lentils and their liquid and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in the optional wine, soy sauce, seasoning blend, thyme, and pepper. Cook gently for 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve in a small container. Stir into the lentil mixture.
    5.Add the spinach, a little at a time, cooking just until it’s all wilted down. Remove from the heat; taste to adjust seasonings to your liking.
    6.Lightly oil a 2-quart (preferably round) casserole dish, or two deep-dish pie plates. Scatter the breadcrumbs evenly over the bottom. Pour in the lentil mixture, then spread the potatoes evenly over the top. If using two pie plates, divide each mixture evenly between them.
    7.Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to turn golden and slightly crusty. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into wedges to serve.

Susan’s Notes

*This recipe comes out equally delicious without the margarine or olive oil. Mash the potatoes with the rice milk only, and use a non-stick pan to sauté the onion, adding a splash of vegetable broth if needed to prevent sticking.

Most regular soy sauce contains gluten. Look for a specially-marked gluten-free version if you’re cooking for someone who’s gluten-sensitive and omit if soy is an issue.

Preparation time: 15 minute(s) | Cooking time: 1 hour(s)

Number of servings (yield): 8

Nutrition Facts

Nutrition (per serving, as written): 338 calories, 63 calories from fat, 7.1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 361.1mg sodium, 1319.2mg potassium, 57.5g carbohydrates, 11.2g fiber, 4.2g sugar, 12.7g protein, 9.6 points.

Nutrition (per serving, margarine and oil omitted): 283 calories, 8 calories from fat, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 331.1mg sodium, 1319.1mg potassium, 57.5g carbohydrates, 11.2g fiber, 4.2g sugar, 12.7g protein, 8 points. (Nutrition courtesy of FatFree Vegan Kitchen–any mistakes are mine.–SV)
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite slow-cooker recipes. I adapted it from a traditional Indian recipe made with loads of oil. I eliminated the oil, however, and added the sweet potato. It is hearty and delicious over brown rice.

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry

1 Large Onion, Diced
    1 T. Garlic Paste
    1 T. Ginger Paste
    2 t. Garam Masala
    1 T. Coriander and Cumin Mix
    1 t. Red Chili Powder
    1/2 t. Tumeric
    1 T. Amchur Powder
    1 15-oz. Can of Tomato Sauce
    1 15-oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
    1 15-oz. Can Chickpeas, Drained
    1 Sweet Potato, Diced

In a small bit of oil (or water), saute the onion until clear. Add the garlic and ginger; saute one minute. Dump everything else into the pot and add water, if necessary, to cover the sweet potato. Simmer on low for an hour until the sweet potato is soft or cook on low in a slow cooker for 3 to 4 hours. Serve over brown rice.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    some one gave me a Pressure Cooker. Please Advice.
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Banana Ice Cream

If you have a good juicer with a rottery thing that mushes everything, and yes that is the technical term.

Put in frozen banana chunks.
    Juice into a bowl
    Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg etc

shockingly delicious
  • britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Vegan ranch dressing: http://www.food.com/recipe/best-vegan-ranch-dressing-132916

Just made this and mixed in with chopped caulflower, sliced grape tomatoes, fried and drice tempeh bacon, and green onions. so good.
  • sl0622
    sl0622 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    MAKE THESE! You will NOT be sorry. SOOOO delicious and super easy and such a really rich, perfectly sized dessert. You do need at the very least a blender - you can certainly blend up the oats and nuts to make a nice textured flour, then hand chop the choc chips/oats and mix in the almond milk and syrup by hand...

Also - I subbed brown rice syrup for pure maple syrup - might work even better b/c brown rice syrup is super sticky.

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/08/07/no-bake-peppermint-patty-bars/
  • sl0622
    sl0622 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite slow-cooker recipes. I adapted it from a traditional Indian recipe made with loads of oil. I eliminated the oil, however, and added the sweet potato. It is hearty and delicious over brown rice.

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry

1 Large Onion, Diced
    1 T. Garlic Paste
    1 T. Ginger Paste
    2 t. Garam Masala
    1 T. Coriander and Cumin Mix
    1 t. Red Chili Powder
    1/2 t. Tumeric
    1 T. Amchur Powder
    1 15-oz. Can of Tomato Sauce
    1 15-oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
    1 15-oz. Can Chickpeas, Drained
    1 Sweet Potato, Diced

In a small bit of oil (or water), saute the onion until clear. Add the garlic and ginger; saute one minute. Dump everything else into the pot and add water, if necessary, to cover the sweet potato. Simmer on low for an hour until the sweet potato is soft or cook on low in a slow cooker for 3 to 4 hours. Serve over brown rice.

That looks great! Am going to try this week!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - LOVE this post topic!
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just made the ice cream and it was great.I often make it without the peanut butter but put dried fruit and nuts through it once the banana is blended.