So happy to find other picky eaters!

Options
I'm allergic to mushrooms and everything in the broccoli family (asparagus, cauliflower, etc.) so that means I have to special order EVERYTHING when I go out to eat. I hate going to fancy places because I'm pretty sure I piss of the chefs and they spit in my food while they say, "That isn't how the dish was intended to be served. Ptooey!"

I'm lactose intolerant so either have to take a lactaid pill with everything I eat or make it myself.

I don't like fish that tastes like fish. Over the past couple years, I've found that I can eat haddock and mahi mahi (only the white meat). But it has to be fresh... not frozen. Very hard to find in Chicagoland.

I'm getting better, but for a while when I'd go to a wedding or other catered event, my meal would consist of cocktail olives and bread.

The new problem is my kids are becoming picky eaters. The little one won't even try anything. I see photos of my friends' kids eating sushi and I'm like, "What the hell? I won't even eat that crap. Your kids eat seaweed and raw fish?"

Am I a bad mom? I'm not trying to pass on my pickyness, but it's happening. My 3-year-old hardly eats anything besides mac and cheese, (not the blue box of Agent Orange, I can at least get her to eat homemade) chicken nuggets, and jelly sandwiches. Luckily, my 5-year-old is getting better and will try (not always like) new things.

Who knows, maybe there's hope for all three of us. I might even get the older girl to taste turkey this year at Thanksgiving. I'll have to make the other one something else because she won't even eat mashed potatoes. Ugh!

Nice to meet you guys!

Replies

• rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat Italian food or Seafood. It isn't an allergy, it's an intolerance (or so I like to say!) I also am trying not to pass my pickiness (is that even a word?) onto my son, so I always tell my husband to make things he likes that I don't so we can introduce them to our son. Danny is almost 2 yrs old and right now if it isn't mac and cheese, chicken nuggets or hot dogs he won't eat it. I'm pretty sure it's just a phase though. Don't worry about your 3 yr old, just keep introducing new foods and let them decide what they do and don't like, just don't forget that you'll need to introduce a food upwards of 15 to 20 times before they decide for sure if they like it. Good lucK!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Haha...this is an awesome group!

I've been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. I can't eat soggy cereal (oh gag me), I won't eat chicken in any form but baked or grilled (i.e. not in a sandwich, no nuggets, etc.) because I have to know that there's no fat in it, no open faced sandwiches, I generally don't like stuff on my plate touching, I can't eat Jello with any kind of "stuff" in it, no tapioca pudding...just to name a few!

Yeah, I'm a weirdo, but it's all normal for me. :laugh:
  • PandaPop87
    Options
    Haha...this is an awesome group!

I've been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. I can't eat soggy cereal (oh gag me), I won't eat chicken in any form but baked or grilled (i.e. not in a sandwich, no nuggets, etc.) because I have to know that there's no fat in it, no open faced sandwiches, I generally don't like stuff on my plate touching, I can't eat Jello with any kind of "stuff" in it, no tapioca pudding...just to name a few!

Yeah, I'm a weirdo, but it's all normal for me. :laugh:

Oh man that's JUST like me! Especially with the cereal! I can't even eat jelly eewww
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The list of foods I don't eat is staggering. No sauces, gravies, or condiments. Nothing with tomato products, except pizza with only a little sauce. No veggies except a few cold salad veggies. No cooked fruit or fruit flavored anything. Coconut gags me. Nothing that is lumpy - lumpy mashed potatoes will not get down, much less stay down. Not really in to cheeses, but absolutely no cream cheese or cottage cheese. Creamy foods are horrid - no yogurt, pudding or creamed soups. I've found a few exceptions over the years that I can handle, like the pizza thing or a chicken pot pie with no veggies and only a small amount of gravy. Thanksgiving dinner for me is turkey, a roll and potatoes if the consistency is acceptable. Nothing like cooking for hours only to eat a small plate with 3 things on it. I don't even like sweet potatoes in any form, much less all seasoned up and mixed in with marshmallows. I can't stand jello, jellies or any other spreads. I don't mind peanut butter once in a while, though.