Remedies

Options
A place to share any remedies that's worked for you :)

Replies

• ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I dont know of any good remedies, but to help me from breaking out I use A TON of cetaphil creme all over my body twice a day. And I also go tanning twice a week. you might think im am crazy since I am already black but my dermatoligist recommemded it to me since I live in Alaska and so far it has worked for me alot...
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    hey arda,

when you say tanning, do you mean sun tanning? or sunbed's?

I'd be willing to give it a go even though I too have darker skin and dont need a tan!

In terms of the cetaphil cream, is there a specific one that you use?

I have ALL over my body (even my breasts) at the mo, and I'm at my wits end.
  • camckinney
    camckinney Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Over the last couple of years I have been getting eczema usually on my legs when it starts getting cold outside. Last winter it spread all over my entire body. Hoping to keep it under control this year. My doctor gave me some anti-itch cream and told me to do the following. Start a warm bath and add 2 inches (of the bottle) of Joy (lemon) dish washing liquid. Soak for 20 minutes then rinse. Then use neutrogena bath oil while you are damp before drying. Then air dry. The joy stops the itching and oil add moisture. I also use Eucerin lotion often.

Interesting about the tanning. May have to give that a try as I am fair skinned and would love to be tan :)

:) Cindy
  • camckinney
    Options
    Hello,

Over the last couple of years I have been getting eczema usually on my legs when it starts getting cold outside. Last winter it spread all over my entire body. Hoping to keep it under control this year. My doctor gave me some anti-itch cream and told me to do the following. Start a warm bath and add 2 inches (of the bottle) of Joy (lemon) dish washing liquid. Soak for 20 minutes then rinse. Then use neutrogena bath oil while you are damp before drying. Then air dry. The joy stops the itching and oil add moisture. I also use Eucerin lotion often.

Interesting about the tanning. May have to give that a try as I am fair skinned and would love to be tan :)

:) Cindy

And that would be daily until it get's better.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    my son has severe eczema and we find that clobesol ointment works which is a prescription. When he isn't having to take the prescripiton we cover him in vasoline right after his baths...minimal drying off. It's so messy, but it seems to work so well. I also found that when we would use a humidifier in his room for when his nose got stuffy, it would make the eczema worse...so we stopped that and it seemed to help.
    Other people I talk to say that the humidifier helped, so I think a lot of remedies are specific to each person. I sure hope we can all help eachother keep it under control!
  • ardavis23
    Options
    yes, tanning in a sun bed is what I do a couple times a week...I live in Alaska so I dont get much sun here! lol I as well have a precription creme but I try not to use it to much since it can bleach out your skin. The Cetaphil I use comes in a big round jar, its the cream not the normal lotion. some people may think it is to much and heavy, if so...I would just do it at night.

I have it all over my body as well, but I do a pretty good job now keeping it under controll. but when I do break out ( mostly in the winter...its on m y breast. legs, tummy ( especially if I wear belts) and also my arms and butt =( its awful
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Wow, Im about to be 42 and ALWAYS had eczema! At this moment my hands are so dry they are cracking open! But Im actually having a break....during the summer it was killing me because my sweat would aggrivate it more! And I swear Im allergic to specific shampoos, it just took an entire bottle to figure it out!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Options
    this is interesting!

I live in a very sunny place - South Africa, but stay away from the sun.

Heat and cold sets me off, at the mo its the heat :(

Will try the cetaphil cream. At the mo i'm using a thick cream with vaseline as well as a steroid cream...but it keeps on coming back.

Camc, I;m interested in hearing more about the dishwashing liquid :) Thats a new one for me. I 've heard of using bleach baths - which can help kill off the bacteria - but never dishwashing liquid.

Did your doc give an explanation as to how it works?

Thanks!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Options
    Wow, Im about to be 42 and ALWAYS had eczema! At this moment my hands are so dry they are cracking open! But Im actually having a break....during the summer it was killing me because my sweat would aggrivate it more! And I swear Im allergic to specific shampoos, it just took an entire bottle to figure it out!

i'm 28 and I;ve had it all my life too! bleh!

What shampoo are you allergic too? I'm trying to get suphyl laurate free stuff, but it's almost impossible to find here. Pantene makes me sneeze!
  • ardavis23
    Options
    ya, its sad to say that if you have Eczema, you will ALWAYS have Eczema :sad:

The heat will make it worse because you sweat, the cold with make it worse becasue its make your skin more dry than it already is...When I lived in Arizona tho, I only had one break out...but when I got my cream from the doctor I kept it under control. As long as I stayed lotioned up I was good to go. My grandma tried to use Vasaline all the time on me when I was younger but it just made me burn
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I bought Costco's brand of shampoo and I suffered the whole time! I have the steroid cream as well but we all need to be careful in the sun with it. Believe it or not, I had an allergic reaction to mascara but my Dr said it was eczema and prescribed the steroid for it. It took to reactions for the mascara to realize it wasn't the eczema! Also, I used Eucerin lotion "Calming Cream" (they have LOTS of different lotions) and it burned me! It hurt so bad but I was desperate to get relief!

That dishwashing soap idea is interesting.
  • camckinney
    Options
    this is interesting!

I live in a very sunny place - South Africa, but stay away from the sun.

Heat and cold sets me off, at the mo its the heat :(

Will try the cetaphil cream. At the mo i'm using a thick cream with vaseline as well as a steroid cream...but it keeps on coming back.

Camc, I;m interested in hearing more about the dishwashing liquid :) Thats a new one for me. I 've heard of using bleach baths - which can help kill off the bacteria - but never dishwashing liquid.

Did your doc give an explanation as to how it works?

Thanks!

I only remember that he said there was something in the lemon Joy that stops the itching (he of course used the medical terms of the chemical in the joy and how it worked). It's been about a year ago that he told me that. It did seem to help. Sorry I can't remember the exact terms of how it works. The joke with my family is that I smelled lemony fresh LOL. He also said that rubbing the towel again my skin would just aggravate it. Thus the air drying.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Options
    Makes sense!

I scratch myself raw all the time :S
  • shabba2
    shabba2 Posts: 3
    Options

Is this eczema on the hand or hand eczema ? Tops or Palms?

Would be interested to learn of any experiences and the treatment regimes being used.
  • shabba2
    Options

Would be interested to learn of any experiences and the treatment regimes being used.
  • shabba2
    Options

• Aweriah
    Aweriah Posts: 15
    Options
    I'd actually recommend not putting anything petrolatum based onto your body. Also, check your bathroom for nasties (shampoo and soap almost always contain sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, which is VERY bad for eczema). Using all natural things can help... I like coconut oil and organic shea butter. Aloe vera is great too, but make sure it's 100%, or check for bad ingredients that can make your eczema worse. I am terribly allergic to fish but found that when I took algae oil supplements my eczema got MUCH better. Hoping for support <3