The Steam Room- vents, problems, questions here

Options
If you have a question, need to vent, need help with a problem or need some advice here is the place to post.

Please everyone let's operate on the Golden Rule- be kind, respectful and treat others how you want to be treated .. no bashing.

Replies

• momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Is it normal for raw pastured butter to smell like cheese after a week or so in the fridge?
  • nmbasilico
    nmbasilico Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the butter, sorry. Hopefully someone knows!

My question is how do you get enough fat into your day? I can't get enough in. Suggestions? I use coconut oil but I can't seem to find many uses other than frying/sauteing. Thanks!
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    I'm not sure about the butter, sorry. Hopefully someone knows!

My question is how do you get enough fat into your day? I can't get enough in. Suggestions? I use coconut oil but I can't seem to find many uses other than frying/sauteing. Thanks!
    I have trouble with this also..I was putting coconut oil in my coffee but I found it very unpleasant.. a protein shake whey or egg white is nice way to get in some good fat.. mix in your liquid of choice- coconut milk, almond milk, water , add a scoop of protein powder and 2 tbs of coconut oil..blend first then add ice and blend again. I plan on having at least one shake a day when I can get some more egg white powder in the house. also If you like avocados.. adding them to your meals or some guacomole mixed with salsa and a bit of olive oil makes a very nice salad dressing... I don't like avocados but I can eat like that.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I don't like coconut oil in tea or coffee (coconut milk, on the other hand, I do like), but I have no problem just slowly eating a spoonful of coconut oil. Too much gives me nausea, though.

Also, I made coconut butter the other day and OMG! I could eat about a billion calories worth of that stuff. Just put some unsweetened dried coconut flakes in a food processor or blender and pulse until it is runny. YUM!
  • nmbasilico
    nmbasilico Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oooh that coconut butter sounds delicious. I might have to try that tomorrow!

I'll have to try that dressing too. None of us are real fans of avocado but if you can stand it with oil I might as well try :)
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    I like to nibble on a slice of butter sometimes because the kerrygold brand is really yummy. Does that sound weird? :blushing:
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I like to nibble on a slice of butter sometimes because the kerrygold brand is really yummy. Does that sound weird? :blushing:
    Nope. Been there. Recently stopped as I decided to be really strict about dairy for a month, but I have totally taken little slices of Kerrygold. SO. GOOD.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Nope. Been there. Recently stopped as I decided to be really strict about dairy for a month, but I have totally taken little slices of Kerrygold. SO. GOOD.

Guilty! I got some pastured butter that tasted a bit cheesy, didn't see anything wrong with it. I nibbled on slices of it and no one was the wiser.

Getting enough fats in your diet- nuts, egg yolks (one of my favorites) and fattier cuts of meat. I like coconut butter too, I find it very filling.
  • iluv2travel
    Options

Guilty! I got some pastured butter that tasted a bit cheesy, didn't see anything wrong with it. I nibbled on slices of it and no one was the wiser.

Getting enough fats in your diet- nuts, egg yolks (one of my favorites) and fattier cuts of meat. I like coconut butter too, I find it very filling.

My husband had a funny look on his face when he saw me eating a slice of butter :laugh:
    jamk1446, do you make your own coconut butter or do you have a brand that you like?
  • jamk1446
    Options
    My husband had a funny look on his face when he saw me eating a slice of butter :laugh:
    jamk1446, do you make your own coconut butter or do you have a brand that you like?

Mine did too but he's learned not to question me anymore. I was thinking of the people at work, they didn't know it was just butter!
    I really like the Artisana brand, it's super smooth and creamy but it costs more than the Nutiva Coconut Manna which is still very good, just not as smooth I found. I checked iHerb, I'm not sure I remember them carrying both brands but they do now. I made it on my own just to try it. It came out very similar to the coconut manna. I don't eat it too terribly often and I'm pretty much the only one in the house who likes coconut much at all so I don't mind buying rather than making it. I do like it in my morning shake sometimes.
  • iluv2travel
    Options

Mine did too but he's learned not to question me anymore. I was thinking of the people at work, they didn't know it was just butter!
    I really like the Artisana brand, it's super smooth and creamy but it costs more than the Nutiva Coconut Manna which is still very good, just not as smooth I found. I checked iHerb, I'm not sure I remember them carrying both brands but they do now. I made it on my own just to try it. It came out very similar to the coconut manna. I don't eat it too terribly often and I'm pretty much the only one in the house who likes coconut much at all so I don't mind buying rather than making it. I do like it in my morning shake sometimes.

Ooohhh, the artisana brand comes in packets!! That would come in handy when I go on vacation. I can bring that plus almond butter packets and jerky as in flight snacks. I'll check out that Nutiva brand, I think I saw some at whole foods the other day... P.S. Looks like i'll be ordering some more goodies from iHerb! :bigsmile:
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    Coconut butter?? Please share the recipe. So I guess it is normal for the pastured raw butter to smell and taste a littly cheesy.. that will take some getting used to - the taste I mean. I can totally see eating by itself though lol
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    wow ladies, No question here and hardly any answers but sure enjoying reading yours. Very informative :)
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Coconut butter?? Please share the recipe. So I guess it is normal for the pastured raw butter to smell and taste a littly cheesy.. that will take some getting used to - the taste I mean. I can totally see eating by itself though lol

Yes, in fact because it was cheesy, I only liked to use it in certain dishes so I ended up switching back to my regular organic butter for cooking and just ate the pastured stuff by itself. I also liked it with apple slices for some reason.

Not really a recipe for the coconut butter. Get unsweetened coconut flakes and put them in your food processor or blender. Don't use the reduced fat flakes, the fat is what is needed to become butter. Blend like you would with nuts until they turn into butter. I added a spoonful of coconut oil to help it along faster, it seemed like it was taking a long time.
  • momof8munchkins
    Options

Yes, in fact because it was cheesy, I only liked to use it in certain dishes so I ended up switching back to my regular organic butter for cooking and just ate the pastured stuff by itself. I also liked it with apple slices for some reason.

Not really a recipe for the coconut butter. Get unsweetened coconut flakes and put them in your food processor or blender. Don't use the reduced fat flakes, the fat is what is needed to become butter. Blend like you would with nuts until they turn into butter. I added a spoonful of coconut oil to help it along faster, it seemed like it was taking a long time.
    when I first got the butter it did not smell or taste like that but it was fresh from the cow and just churned. I wonder if storing it in the freezer in small batches until needed would keep the cheesy thing from happening?.. I am curious about using the butter in everyday things if it would taste odd. I am going to try the coconut butter.. thanks it sounds great.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Hmmm, if it's changing, then it might be going off. Mine didn't do that. I found this on joyofbaking.com about freezing butter:

"It should be stored well-wrapped in foil away from any strong odors and in the coldest part of the refrigerator. Foil is used to prevent exposure to light and air which can cause the butter to oxidize and become stale. Check your butter's freshness by cutting a small slice and the outside of the butter should be the same color as the inside. If the outside is a darker color than the inside the butter has oxidized. You can freeze butter for around six months. Just make sure you defrost the butter overnight in the refrigerator before using it. It is best not to use butter that has been frozen for baking, as freezing can affect the texture of the butter and change its moisture content. When the butter thaws it can be grainy with droplets of water."
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OK i have topic we dont really eat breads pastes etc.. so for me my calorie intake its about 7-800cal sometimes lower
    im not hungry at all but mfp says you have to eat 1200 a day...what should i do? i have alot of energy so eating below the recommended cal is it ok?
  • jamk1446
    Options
    OK i have topic we dont really eat breads pastes etc.. so for me my calorie intake its about 7-800cal sometimes lower
    im not hungry at all but mfp says you have to eat 1200 a day...what should i do? i have alot of energy so eating below the recommended cal is it ok?

Going under occasionally isn't going to hurt you but long term, eating this little isn't sustainable and the effects will catch up with you. Especially since you are working out. I saw in your diary this went back a few days, I didn't look beyond that. You have youth on your side and your body may be more resilient than some of us that our older, but this will eventually catch up with you. Even if you have to step it up gradually, make it your goal to eat 1000 calories making good choices. Then step it up again to 1200 and so on. You will not stall your weight loss by eating nourishing foods in reasonable quantities.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Guys, I just need to vent/moan a bit. (Backstory. My husband and I just started TTC and have realized that my cycles are even more out of whack than I originally thought.)

I talked with my OB/GYN today about my lab results. My TSH and Free T4 are both well within normal range, but my progesterone was incredibly low, confirming what I already suspected, I didn't ovulate last cycle and I probably am not ovulating in general.

I know that it isn't going to help to compare my experience with others but but but....

I have always been concerned with trying to eat well and take care of myself. I've had problems with a big of excess weight from time to time, but I've never been a big junk food fan or a heavy drinker or whatever. I've eaten mostly whole, un-processed foods for YEARS! Never so much as smoked a cigarette. I am active, etc. Heck, I have tried to limit pesticides and endocrine disruptors like BPA, etc.

It's just.... seriously? I know people who eat virtually nothing but Wonder Bread and Pop Tarts, smoke like mad, drink heavy.... and have no trouble having multiple children. :huh:

IT JUST ISN'T FAIR!!! (<--pity party).

Anyway. Thanks for listening. I know full well that some of these things are just not in my control. And I certainly don't mean to imply that people without "perfect" eating (not that mine is or ever was "perfect") shouldn't be able to have kids. It's just that I feel like I have tried so hard to take care of my body and now I feel like it is failing me.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    kaitlin- I've been there too, probably lots of us can relate. For the most part my health has been on an upward track for the last several years but it has been by no means linear. I try to take setbacks in stride but every once in a while I get frustrated and ask "why me???" Then when I calm down, I have to remember that it doesn't matter, this is who and where I am and I know what I need to do to keep things from getting worse and usually better. But I'm not facing difficulty having a child, that's an emotional road I haven't had to take and I don't mean to minimize your feelings.

I also have low progesterone and take supplemental progesterone during part of my cycle so I have to track my cycle like someone who is TTC and have been for years. I wish I could figure out the missing link in my health that will change it but as I only have one ovary now, it just may not be possible for me. Are you familiar with Erin of Pretty in Primal? She is facing a similar struggle with low progesterone and fertility and is trying some of the same approaches as you to correct it. http://prettyinprimal.blogspot.com/