...and your story is...

Options
dcmat
dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
Did you set a goal this year and are you on track?

I wasn’t expecting too many miles this year as I was so unfit when I climbed back on the bike after 4 ½ months off following major knee surgery. The biggest problem was eating the same number of calories whilst being non-weight bearing. So, bearing in mind that the furthest I had ridden I a year was 4500 miles, I set my target at 3000.

Slowly, over time, my daily commute increased. 20 miles became 25, 25 became 35 and finally 35 became 41 miles. I was also going out more on the club rides, 60 miles became 80, which in turn led to 4 100+ rides, I had only ever ridden 75 before and that nearly finished me off! 3000 miles came and went, as did 4000, 5000 & 6000.

So here I am now – I still have 2 ½ months until my 12 months is up and have ridden 8800 miles and am over 4 ½ stone lighter. So my target is now to breach 10K.

There is no moral to this….as my children say, I need to get out less!

Replies

• broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I set only two cycling goals this year really. One was to climb Pixley Knob (a pretty steep incline near here) without bailing. The other was to get in a century. I got both done in September. It may not seem like much, but for me, they seemed like lofty goals when I started back cycling again after many years of doing nothing and getting fat. There is no way I could have done it without everything else falling into place. Now I have set more goals, and above all else, feel this addiction to being on the bike. I tend to think an awful lot about it...but sometimes the best thing is just to not think about it, and get out and ride! So that's what I am gonna always try to do!
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Didnt have any real goals in mind when I started cycling in June other than to use it as a means of getting fit and losing weight. Also in the hope my efforts would encourage my boys to cycle more and get off their PS3 for a whie.!

But now ...well I am addicted. I joined a cycle club, got new bikes for me and my sons, have done several 60 miles rides with the club and am doing my first 100 mile ride this Sunday. I cycle to work every day I can (25 miles return) and rearlly miss it when I cant.

So I think my goal now is to do the 100 miles and continue to commute as much as I can this winter. Also to enjoy and support the Hainault Road Club and enjoy ride outs and social time with the fantastic new friends I have made there.