Thanksgiving?!?!?

Options
I am searching out Paleo/primal recipes to re-make the holiday favorites. Some will be full on caveman grub and other will be adapted to be GF to make the family happy.:ohwell: not much you can do primalize mac and cheese and green bean casserole lol... what's your Thanksgiving meal going to like?

Replies

• momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    So far this what is on the menu for our family
    Cornbread stuffing for the family
    and low carb sausage and mushroom stuffing for me and my sil
    Roasted broccoli
    tradtional but gluten free green bean casserole for the family
    smashed cauliflower
    regular mashed potatoes for those who don't like cauliflower
    mac and cheese- gluten free for the family
    bacon wrapped cabbage
    homemade cranberry sauce- gotta have cranberries
    pecan crusted pumpkin pie with whipped cream
    greens
    veggie /fruit and cheese tray
    Turkey drenched in butter ..drool
    Dr Bork Bork's protein nog..oh yeah I am looking forward to this one!

I am not real fond of making 2 versions of some of the dishes but with kiddies and extended family at dinner I want everyone to be happy and I want to be able to stay on track myself. Oh and I know my husband is going to want rolls-will be gluten free also for our kids.

will post the paleo/primal friendly recipes in the recipe section as I find them
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I ordered a Free Range Turkey from a local grocery store in St Louis.

Also on the menu is:

Sweet Potatoes
    Collard Greens
    Cranberry, Walnut salad
    Pumpkin and sweet potato pie with a almond meal crust
    Almond Meal Stuffing (will post recipe at the bottom of my post)
    Gluten Free Mac and Cheese and yeast rolls - both for my husband.
    Wine

Here is the recipe for the Almond Meal Stuffing

Paleo Southern Style Dressing (Stuffing)

Bread
    3 1/2 C almond flour
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp sage
    1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
    4 eggs
    3 Tbs bacon fat

Preheat oven to 300.
    Combine all dry ingredients. Whisk eggs with bacon fat then add to dry ingredients. Pour in well greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until bread is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

While the bread is baking, you can start the dressing...

Dressing
    2 tsp poultry seasoning
    1/2 tsp rubbed sage (more if you like)
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    3 stalks celery
    1 large onion diced
    1 large green pepper diced
    5 Tbs butter or ghee
    2 Tbs bacon fat
    1 Tbs arrowroot
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 can coconut milk
    2 large eggs slightly beaten

Increase the oven temperature to 375.

When the bread is complete, allow to cool then slice. Toast half of the slices in the oven about 5 mins per side. Crumble the other half into a bowl and set aside. When toast is finished, break it up into the bowl with the rest of the bread then set aside.

In a skillet, sautee veggies in bacon fat.Add Arrowroot mixing to be sure its dissolved in the bacon fat. Add spices, salt, pepper, coconut milk, and butter. Simmer until thickened. Add thickened sauce to bread mixture. Add eggs, mix well and pour into greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. After 20 minutes stir dressing down from the sides of the pan so that it cooks uniformly. Cook for another 15 minutes. Enjoy!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I don't know the full meal yet, but these are some recipes that have made an appearance in the past and likely will again.

Veggie stuffing- gluten-free bread and nut flour versions are just too much so I just left out the bread from my old recipe
    1c onion, chopped
    1c celery, chopped
    8oz pkg button mushrooms, sliced
    2-3tbs butter,
    1tsp poultry seasoning

sautee veggies in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in poultry seasoning. I have also stirred in steamed cauliflower in place of the bread too.

Caramelized Onion Gravy- from Oxygen Magazine. Can be a little on the sweet side but I think it's a brilliant gravy without flour.
    2 lg onions, thinly sliced
    enough butter or oil to sautee onion
    1c total- chicken/ turkey broth, cream or half & half- either one or the other or a combination
    1/2tsp rubbed sage, thyme or rosemary
    salt & pepper to taste

sautee onions until caramelized, stirring frequently. Remove onions to blender cup. Add liquid and seasoning, blend until smooth. Add more liquid if needed. Add salt & pepper to taste.

turkey and ham
    Scratch green bean casserole w/ sour cream sauce
    Green beans w/ Garlic & Bacon- for dairy-free daughter
    possibly sweet potatoes now that I can handle them again
    green salad
    homemade cranberry relish
    Balsamic roasted brussel sprouts & red onion

Pumpkin Cobbler- I'm a bit tired of nut crusts and half of my family doesn't like them at all. I wanted a coconut flour crust but I haven't really found anything. I stumbled across this cobbler topping and I love it! So much easier than shaping a crust in the pan, just sprinkle it on top instead.
    1 recipe of pumpkin pie filling- I think mine is just adapted from the Libby's can
    topping:
    1/2c coconut flour
    1/2- 3/4c coconut sugar
    1tsp cinnamon
    1/4tsp salt
    1/2c butter, melted
    1tsp vanilla
    1//2c chopped walnuts or pecans

combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the butter and vanilla, stir in the dry, stir well to break up any lumps. Let sit for a minute or two, the mixture will become crumbly. Stir in the chopped nuts. Sprinkle over the top of your pumpkin filling in a pie pan or 8 x 8 square dish. Bake 350 for 30 minutes until filling is mostly set.

Pecan pie used to be my downfall. I amended a recipe for pecan tassies that satisfied the craving without killing me with the sugar. My recipe card isn't where it should be, I'll have to keep looking for that one.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    all of that looks amazing.. Do all mind if I copy and paste your recipes and put them in the recipe section?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    all of that looks amazing.. Do all mind if I copy and paste your recipes and put them in the recipe section?

I don't mind.