Planning for the New Season

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
Anyone else come up with their plans and goals for 2012's riding yet?

At the moment i'm looking at my mileage mainly...

I'm shooting for 5,000km in the year - a bit of a step up from this year, and obviously subject to avoiding injury etc. Targets on a month by month basis as follows...

Jan 300km
Feb 350km
Mar 350km
Apr 500km
May 500km
Jun 500km
Jul 500km
Aug 500km
Sep 500km
Oct 350km
Nov 350km
Dec 300km

which, if I've got my maths right should come in at 5,000km. Not a massive amount by some of your standards I admit, but it's a 20% step up from my targets this year, and I've failed to achieve them for the first 8 months of they year (admittedly due to injury and illnesses) so I think any more might be a little optimistic.

My other goals are

1 - to continue losing weight at a sustainable level, working towards the weight target goals as specified in my profile i.e.

Mini Goals:
SW - 397.7lb - 23rd July 2011 :noway:
Mini Goal 1 - 350lb - Achieved 27th September 2011 :drinker:
Mini Goal 2 - 315lb - under way :ohwell:
Mini Goal 3 - 280lb - hey, 20 Stone is a landmark to me
Mini Goal 4 - 240lb - recommended max weight for Campag. - Buy a DeRosa c/w Record 11
Goal weight - 210lb - back to my fighting weight.

2 - to try and organise a local version of the "Dunwich Dynamo" - a night ride from our local pub, setting off at midnight, and riding to the coast, hopefully getting there just in time for the sunrise on the shortest Saturday night/Sunday morning in summer... so around 75 miles in around 5 hours. I've a couple of mates who like the idea, but need someone to do the organising - if it happens, I think that it'll be because I did the grunt-work.

3 - just to generally ride longer and further - increasing the time and distance of the rides - if I'm increasing the mileage, I know i'm going to have to get better recovery time as well. This year my mileage and ride time has been "capped" on doctors orders, which means I've been riding 6 days a week to get my "fix" and running around like a madman on the 7th day, to get all the regular errands etc. run. If I can ride 4 days a week, for twice as long, I can have a "mad errand day" and 2 days of recovery...

So, that's it for me at the moment - has anyone else got any plans underway yet?

Replies

• broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I didn't really start riding in earnest again this year, after a multi-year hiatus from riding or doing anything healthy for that matter (long boring story), until around late May. I started keeping a ride log online around that time, and I am about to cross 2,000 miles on the year. If I could triple that amount next year, I would be on cloud nine. Double that amount, I would be on cloud eight and a half. But my goals, like yours BigYin, are not just about distance. I have a few others:

1. Climb Dow Knob. One of the steepest climbs in my area. A friend of mine sent me a cue sheet and route that includes it. I plan to make an attempt at summitting it standing up and in one piece in the spring. For some of yall, it may look like nuthin, but for me, it's gonna be a challenge. Here is the route, with elevation chart: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/738678

2. Do a multi day bike tour. Everything I have done this year has just been one day rolls.

3. Do some serious night rides. (The Dunwich Dynamo sounds awesome!)

4. Learn to ride my newly bought mountain bike, and ride it well.

I have my 2012 bike log all set up and ready to go. I am totally looking forward to riding more next year! Link to my 2011 and 2012 log is here: http://tinyurl.com/someguyonabikesridelog
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I didn't start riding until April of this year, and since I was so out of shape, it took me a while to really get going. I've logged 3200 miles this year, and hope to finish with between 3500 and 4000 miles. My original goal was 1000, so I've shattered that a long time ago.

Next year, I plan on riding 6000 miles. I'm physically fit enough now, and I have the equipment.

I also plan on riding the Mississippi river from the bottom south of New Orleans to Itasca park in Minnesota with my two oldest sons (13 and 16) and a friend from Oregon. We're planning on riding the Louisiana segment in December between Christmas and New Years, if the money works out. Then, maybe the state of Mississippi in February, and just work our way north.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to both push through the 8000 mile mark again as well increasing my 110 miles in a day to around 150.

My middle child (10 yo) wants to go on a mini cycle camping tour and beat his younger sister (7 yo) summer holiday record of 501 miles!

Still looking at cycling the Loire Velo with the family....
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think about my goals. Last year I rode 3500 miles and ran 1000. This year I'll be getting in somewhere over 4000 on the bike and running maybe 750.

Next year I'd like to have my running miles back around 1000 for the year (mostly in preparation for a Spring half marathon with friends and a trail relay a month later). I'm planning to scale my bike miles back, maybe to *only* 3000, since I'm putting in more time on the CX and mtn. bikes and those make it harder to bang out the kind of miles that I have been doing almost entirely road miles.

I still want to do the One Day Ride Across MI. Instead of 3 sprint duathlons I will target 2 (they are $$ and I'm already sinking a lot of money into the half marathon and the relay weekends). I'm contemplating riding Iceman in a year, too, childcare dependent. DH and I may have to agree to alternate years, though he is considering doing the Lumberjack 100, so if he does that, then I think I could probably talk him into letting me do Iceman, this year, then he can do it the next year.

And I want to learn to mount/dismount in CX without looking like I'm drunk or a total clod.

Not sure how many miles I will target each week through the Winter months. I already would like to commit to 10-15 outdoors, then maybe another 25-35 on the trainer. Perhaps some yoga and/or weights (this all gets tough with a small living room and 2 bikes on trainers), and 15-20 miles on-foot, for much of the Winter, until HM training really starts to build, probably to the tune of 30-40 miles/week.

Gonna be a busy 2012!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Some excellent stuff everyone - it's always great to hear others plans for the year - anyone else got plans yet, or am I just being a bit early asking ??
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm a new cyclist. Here are my plans for 2012.

BEGINNER -> INTERMEDIATE
    - learn about cycle maintenance. Be confident changing inner tubes so I can go on longer rides without being scared of a puncture.
    - get some panniers and properly kit of my bike for touring.

DISTANCES AND TOURS
    - cycle commute every day from when the ice melts (probably February) onwards
    - do some 50 mile day expeditions (Oxford to Cheltenham, Newbury, Buckingham, Banbury)
    - do a multi-day tour (Oxford to Exeter)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    anyone else come up with a master plan for 2012 yet ??
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    My grand plans for 2012

-Ride the Moab Skinny tire routes in March (not doing the actual Skinny Tire Event, too expensive)
    -average 200m per month from May-August
    -Ride the Venus de Miles Century route in August

I also need to find a few more charity/organized rides for the summer.
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is not too early to start 2012 bicycle planning - those spring and summer rides will be here before we know it!

My plans are still in "draft" form and likely will be updated as some other information/commitments for 2012 become known.

1) Rides:
    a) Barkfooey Ride (the 5th anniversary ride from Seattle to Vancouver BC in late July - we may do custom jerseys for this ride! (http://barkfooey.blogspot.com/)
    b) RATROD (a made-up name - Ride around the Tatoosh Range in One Day - goes from south side of Mt Rainier, Washington through the National Park and back to the start - 85 miles w/o Cayuse Pass and 102 miles w /Cayuse Pass)
    c) Ride up the side of Mt St Helens again - on a good early July day, this may be the most scenic ride in the US - the snow covered volcano is on your right and visible all the way up! Stunning ride when the snow clears off the roads
    d) Ride across Oregon (early July right now) - Vancouver, WA to Crescent City, California - 6 days riding with one rest day in the middle - my bride has agreed to SAG me for this one
    e) Lead 6 rides for absolute adult beginners in Seattle to help other riders learn how and where to ride to get started
    f) Train as if I were going to do RAMROD again (although I am not!) - incorporate weekly a 100+ mile training ride with 5k-8K feet climbing by early June
    g) Schedule and lead 6 additional rides for friends and acquaintances - 40-80 mile distances

2) Weight goals are to move my power to weight ratio for biking from 2.38 to 2.76 (about a 33 lb weight loss from current weight and yet holding power) by September - a really big longer term stretch goal would be to get the power to weight ratio to 3.0 which would entail a further 17 lb weight loss - a region I was last in probably 30 years ago!!

You might as well shoot high now as there will be plenty of reasons things won't happen exactly as you plan!

By the way, some of the goals people have put out are quite amazing - congrats to you all!! - it isn't the absolute size of the goal but the size of the personal challenge to you that matters!
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't have quite as lofty goals as some of you, I am still a beginner really myself.

For 2012, I want to increase my mileage to 1,500. Mainly 1 to 2 rides during the week between March and October and one long one on Saturday or Sunday.

I plan to ride two century rides next year:
    One Helluva Ride, Chelsea, MIchigan www.aabts.org/ohr
    Shorefire Century, Middletown, Delaware http://www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org/Events-WCBC/shorefire.htm (cancelled last year because of the hurricane)...

Once I am at my goal weight I want to treat myself to a "normal" bike right now I am riding the hybrid. It works for me but can't wait to get a road bike.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I don't have quite as lofty goals as some of you, I am still a beginner really myself.

For 2012, I want to increase my mileage to 1,500. Mainly 1 to 2 rides during the week between March and October and one long one on Saturday or Sunday.
    Once I am at my goal weight I want to treat myself to a "normal" bike right now I am riding the hybrid. It works for me but can't wait to get a road bike.

Hey, you're maybe 7lb lighter than me, and I've had no problems with riding a road bike - okay - it's not a all-singing-all-dancing carbon fibre flying machine, but it's still under 19lb on the scales, and runs on 700c/23mm tyres in summer (25's at the moment, though I've a pair of Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG Clincher Tyres (24mm) waiting to go on the bike for the winter stuff...)
    Road bikes are surprisingly tough - provided you buy decent quality components.

I have to say though - the new bike does figure in my plans somewhere down the line too... if I get down that far (i.e. lose 158lb!), I reckon I deserve a BIT of a treat...
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Hey, you're maybe 7lb lighter than me, and I've had no problems with riding a road bike - okay - it's not a all-singing-all-dancing carbon fibre flying machine, but it's still under 19lb on the scales, and runs on 700c/23mm tyres in summer (25's at the moment, though I've a pair of Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG Clincher Tyres (24mm) waiting to go on the bike for the winter stuff...)
    Road bikes are surprisingly tough - provided you buy decent quality components.

I have to say though - the new bike does figure in my plans somewhere down the line too... if I get down that far (i.e. lose 158lb!), I reckon I deserve a BIT of a treat...

Thanks yes of course but part of it is money too... I am proud that I have already ridden 2 centuries at 300 lbs plus on that hybrid. Will be happier to do it on lighter bike and with my weight gone, of course. Can't wait.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    ....Thanks yes of course but part of it is money too... I am proud that I have already ridden 2 centuries at 300 lbs plus on that hybrid. Will be happier to do it on lighter bike and with my weight gone, of course. Can't wait.

Eddie, these are awesome goals, and you are right to be proud at what you have already accomplished too. There is nothing better in my opinion than setting a goal, then doing it, especially bicycle goals. It's a total thrill and a super satisfying experience. Keep us posted sir!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I put 5000 miles / 8000 km as my goal to track in Garmin Connect for next year. I am going to try to do it evenly on a month to month basis with just over 400 miles a month. It should be doable here in California with the correct equipment. We don't get snow and it doesn't rain on cold days.

I'm also going to get my recumbent repaired sometime next month which will allow me to do some centuries on the weekends in comfort.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I rode over 3000 miles this year and my goal was 2500 so I will try for 4000 in 2012 and I really want to ride my first century ride in 2012. 60 miles is my longest so far. I recently started running to try and keep some endurance during our 2 months of cold weather so now I have a few 5k and one 10k planned for the upcoming year as well.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My first year of riding was last year and I did 1250 miles on my Mountain Bike. This last year I did just over 4100 miles. I am planning on doing 5000 miles this next year. However I have a wife that is getting jealous of my time away on the bike. That may hinder things a tad bit.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Learn to not fear hills any more.
    Use my MTB a whole lot more!
    Do at least 2 century rides.
    I won't better my total annual milage from this year (stands at around 6900, so far) but try not to be less than 6000.
    Perhaps do a 10 mile TT, assuming I continue to lose weight and don't look so ridiculous alongside cone-heads in lycra :)
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Communte to work = 3400m
    Pleasure cycle = 1200m

So a stretched target of = 5000m in 2012

....other targets - do a 100miles run, support the cycle club, get my kids on their bikes more, new Colnago Ultegra, keep my weight below 13st, walking in the Lake District, prepare for my very early retirement end 2013.
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Perhaps do a 10 mile TT, assuming I continue to lose weight and don't look so ridiculous alongside cone-heads in lycra :)

See if your local club run any "sportsmans time-trials" - no aero aids - helmets / tribars / disk wheels - mine even give you a "fine" of 10 seconds for every spoke less that 24 in the front wheel and 28 in the rear...
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, apart from the spoke count fines. My good road bike has a mere 20 on the rear... how they have not yet pinged is quite beyond me. My track record with rear wheels and broken spokes, is sketchy at best ;-)