POLL: Public or private group

Options
Thomasm198
Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
At the moment the group is public. I'm considering making it private so that only members of the group can view it.

The thing about switching it to private is that new members would have to be invited rather than just joining it directly.
But on the other hand, if the group is private we can be more open about what we post knowing that only the members of the group can see what we post.

Opinions please.

Yes or no on changing it to private?

Edited to add: the third option is that I create a second group and set that one to private but leave this one public. I would create a sticky in this telling people to PM me if they wanted to be invited into the private group.

That way, this group would still be visible but the second group, being private, would be where people who feel uncomfortable about being fully open here could post as openly as they want.

So, new vote:
Option 1. Leave this group as public
Option 2. Set this group to private
Option 3. Leave this group as public and create a second private group.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    hmm...tough one. Both have merits.

But I'm leaning toward private. I just won't get very specific unless it's private.
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    I'm probably the only one who may feel this way, but I say public. My reasoning is other people may want to join-- people who really, really need the help the other members can provide. KWIM?
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. On the one hand..it's easier to be more open if it's private. But on the other, people who need to be here wont find it. Also, unless it's out in the open the stigma against mental illness will continue. Not that it will ever go away. People can be ignorant, but we shouldn't feel ashamed either. With knowledge comes acceptance..sometimes. The more it's openly talked about the better.

That being said, I fear people will hold back some if it's public. I just dont know Tom.
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've nothing to hide, no fear or hesitancy, though there is the potential for trolls/abuse if you keep it public.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Public allows people who need it to join, or even just read for support.

Private allows us to open up more than we would otherwise.

Tough call, but I think public is better. I wouldn't be opposed to a private group as well.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i'm considering option 3 for a different group - i think that for these groups, it's probably the best option. members can feel safe, but ppl in need can find the group.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Option 3 - two groups. That way we can have general discussion in the public group, and people can find us, but we also have our safe zone with the private group, for our more personal needs.
  • chellesky
    Options
    I agree with option 3
  • gerink
    gerink Posts: 50
    Options
    Would prefer option 3 - both a public and private group. Everyone would then feel welcome.
  • modernsoul
    modernsoul Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I vote for private.
  • justonebutt
    justonebutt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Option #3.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    option 3
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    With the new vote, definitely Option 3!
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    I would say keep it public, so that people can join. But also make clear, obvious rules that are regularly enforced. So, public, but heavily moderated. This will create more work for you, so only do this if you have the time and resolve to put up with the inevitable headaches. No point in stressing yourself out when there are better options.

But this way, everyone gets to use the group, but you can make sure the content is regulated.