What are you doing to reduce your carbon footprint?

Options
My family, we started a green cleaning service. Our motto is cleaning the earth one house at a time. We also recylce and donate to shelterd. I sew clothes using old material or clothing. Jeans really make nice skirts :) These are a few things I done. I would love to know what other members are doing:)

Replies

• SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    Dreadz,

Best of luck with the cleaning service. I am so happy when I see organic cleaning services or lawn care companies.

Personally I try to by most of my foods raw from local farms. I also purchase clothing and other products that are eco-friendly. Since I am an IT engineer, I do a lot with power consumption, etc. One tip for everyone here trying to reduce their footprint, you can download this free software that will help conserve unneeded computer power when it's turned on. Check out their site for more info: http://grano.la/

Cheers,
    y.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Off topic but, 159 lbs., that's amazing.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    Off topic but, 159 lbs., that's amazing.

Thanks my friend! It's been an amazing journey. I have some before/after pics here: http://tinyurl.com/d54kmwx

Cheers,
    y.
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a transformation and a lovely way to show it too. I appreciate the numerous ressources you present on your sidebar. Thanks!
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    Thank YOU Jujubie!!!
  • Jujubie
    Options
    To answer the original question... I carpool to work and my DH takes the bus. We have a garden and compost all we can. I collect rain water for all gardening purposes. Those are the ones that come to mind right now.
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting an eco friendly business!

I work for an environmental non-profit, we put out some amazing videos ( like this one...almost 1 million views! http://www.youtube.com/postcarboninstitute#p/u/1/cJ-J91SwP8w). At home I do the normal stuff, recycle, buy reused, changed all light bulbs to LED's, low flow faucets and shower heads. I garden for some of our produce in the summer. I'm trying winter crops, but they aren't looking too good! I also shop our farmers market for the rest of our produce. We were doing a CSA, but we quit because we weren't getting enough food for our buck...but I think that was just that CSA, I will find a new one in spring. We also buy organic as much as possible...especially meat since we do consume it (and since I have a 2 year old). Trying to reduce as much consumption as possible, but it's a real struggle, esp this time of year! But I've tried to be good about buying local as much as possible for the holidays...or at least buy US made goods so they don't get shipped from China. I do pretty good on clothes...but I'm fortunate that I have a sister-in-law who is a similar size (a bit smaller actually...gives me motivation to keep up the weight loss!) and has a lot of clothes, so I get a lot of hand me downs.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    I work for an environmental non-profit, we put out some amazing videos ( like this one...almost 1 million views! http://www.youtube.com/postcarboninstitute#p/u/1/cJ-J91SwP8w).
    Very interesting videos, thanks for sharing!
  • Jujubie
    Options
    We are now doing our own carbonated water. We were going through at least one bottle of fizzy water per day so this should be helpful.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    We changed all of our lightbulbs, we use re-usable bags at the grocery store, I try to use bulk bins and bring my own baags so I am not using plastic, and by doing that I cut my trash from 3 bags to 1 bag a week. I try to buy local when it's available, I live in a place that only has farmers markets for 3 months a year...I make my own cleaners, I use cold water to wash clothes and hang dry them. I saved all my first childs clothes and am reusing them, also passing clothes back and forth in the family.... I shop at goodwill when I can...
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    We changed all of our lightbulbs, we use re-usable bags at the grocery store, I try to use bulk bins and bring my own baags so I am not using plastic, and by doing that I cut my trash from 3 bags to 1 bag a week. I try to buy local when it's available, I live in a place that only has farmers markets for 3 months a year...I make my own cleaners, I use cold water to wash clothes and hang dry them. I saved all my first childs clothes and am reusing them, also passing clothes back and forth in the family.... I shop at goodwill when I can...

Great commitments!