Favorite Sub-Genre?

Options
elvb
elvb Posts: 423 Member
We all know we love Paranormal/Fantasy books. But what's your favorite type/sub-genre?
Urban Fantasy?
Romance?
Epic?
Mystery?

My favorite will always be Urban Fantasy (Harry Dresden is amazing). However, I tend to get into Romance when the "mood" strikes :love: (who doesn't love those Dark Hunters???) . I've never been a fan of Epic Fantasy....swords and such don't do it for me. lol I also love Mystery and Horror with Paranormal aspects.

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is Epic Fantasy. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is my ultimate favorite set of books. But then, I love anything in this genre - I cut my teeth, so to speak, on Terry Brook's Wizard at Large series then his Shannara series. Love them, always will.

Considering the next and last WoT book is coming out late next year, I ought to get started on another read-through. There are 12 books in the main series so far with 1 prequel so it will take me a couple months to do another read. Oh and if you donate to the Mayo Clinic (who was treating RJ before he passed), you get to be in a drawing to get your name in the final book. I need to make my donation this weekend. I would love to be part of it because I am a nerd like that.
  • LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    Options
    I started reading the Robert Jordan books back in 1993, and I think I got distracted around book 6 and never went back....

These are more from my teen/20s years, but I love anything by David Eddings - The Belgariad, The Mallorean, the Sparhawk series - love them all!

I also read a lot of older science fiction - anything by Robert Heinlein is top of my list! Oh, and I LOVE me some Anne McCaffery!!!!

I don't have bookcases in our new home, everything is in boxes in the basement - I need to get my bookd organized so I can re-read some of my favorites.....
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My favorite would have to be epic fantasy. I've written 5 myself, not published (yet). and it seems that most of dreams are epic fantasy.

I'm with you on David Eddings. I adore everything that he wrote, and was sad when he passed because I would have loved to
    read even more!

And I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings books. They were my favorites waaaaay before any of the movies came out. It's sad that some of the younger crowd these days don't even realize that they were books first.
  • ShannaDBowser
    ShannaDBowser Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    And I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings books. They were my favorites waaaaay before any of the movies came out. It's sad that some of the younger crowd these days don't even realize that they were books first.

When I heard the movies were coming out, I made sure to read the books first. My dad has original copies in his collection. I fell in love with the series.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options

When I heard the movies were coming out, I made sure to read the books first. My dad has original copies in his collection. I fell in love with the series.

I agree. These books were by far one of the best series I have EVER read.
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We all know we love Paranormal/Fantasy books. But what's your favorite type/sub-genre?
    Urban Fantasy?
    Romance?
    Epic?
    Mystery?

My favorite will always be Urban Fantasy (Harry Dresden is amazing). However, I tend to get into Romance when the "mood" strikes :love: (who doesn't love those Dark Hunters???) . I've never been a fan of Epic Fantasy....swords and such don't do it for me. lol I also love Mystery and Horror with Paranormal aspects.
    The Harry Dresden books are the only books i will buy hardcover. Im a fan of the Paranormal as well
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The Harry Dresden books are the only books i will buy hardcover. Im a fan of the Paranormal as well
    I don't tend to buy books (I'm a library geek), but I've purchased these and Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series when I have extra money. I have shelves specifically for these books. :smile: