What foods cause you trouble?

Options
cbbarge
cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
I'm still working through the pre-op part of the LB process but I'm starting to get concerned about what I won't be able to eat. What foods cause you trouble?

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I can eat toast but not bread. It gets stuck every time. Maybe one day I'll master the art of small bites and it won't be an issue, but at the moment it is.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is very day to day for moe. But I know that I cannot eat raw veggies like carrots, celery and broccoli. I also do not do well with bread, so I avoid it. Pasta and Rice are ok, although know people with a band who can eat all of these things with no problem. Once you are banded you will learn what you can and cannot eat and what works for you. I also dont do anything carbonated anymore (soda, beer, champagne, etc) and I do not miss it either!
  • soniathekitty
    soniathekitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think that it's different for everyone... I'm sure glad I don't have some of the issues that others do.. but.. a lot of people hear my "list" and cringe. I don't so much, because honestly? My take is that rather than focus on what I "CAN'T" have, I use it as a chance to learn about new things that maybe I never considered or maybe even haven't heard of.. I don't treat it like a loss, I don't mourn what I can't have. But, since you asked.. my no no list includes: most bread (crunchy is okay, toast is okay mostly..), pasta (mostly), rice (all rice, it all kills me..most of the time). Broccoli stems. Celery if not cut up real small. Potatoes (unless mashed). Chicken (mostly). Beef (mostly). Pork. Ham. Chewy seafood (like conch, even shrimp sometimes). Just about anything that is overly starchy, or will clump together, or won't break down enough no matter how much I chew it.

All that being said, I'm having awesome fun adventures exploring different ethnic foods and spices, mostly vegetarian at that. It just took a shift in my mind, and laying it down with my family because I got tired of trying to not "punish" them with my new choices, which was just silly, because it's not punishment, the only person I was punishing, was myself by making more work for me!!! I now cook 1 new vegetarian meal a week, that my family WILL eat. They remind me that I'm a good cook, no matter what kind of fare. :-)

There are some former favorite things that I can't have anymore, but who cares, it led me to be who I wasn't happy being, screw it. :-)
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can't eat bread... but that's okay, it was too much bread(starches) that got me where I am. I also have a hard time with grilled chicken breast (too dry) but I can eat dark meat. That will be nice at Thanksgiving, everyone wants white me so there's more dark meat for me. But basically, that's all. I can eat whatever I want within reason. I can't even come close to the volume though and that's why this works. I have to stop and think about what I am eating and if I really think it's worth the calories, fat, carbs. There is nothing "easy" about the band, but it makes it easier to make good decisions.
  • vdegraff
    vdegraff Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    After reading your posts, I am getting a little nervous about what to expect after next week.
  • chicken, chicken, and chicken.
  • grinningchook
    Options
    i can eat chicken, rice, pasta, english muffins, salad inc lettuce, hot chips even, curry, fish

I am only 6 weeks banded so haven't tried a lot of things yet but I know all of the above I can eat.

I have had trouble with strawberries, pineapple and meat.. mainly because I haven't chewed it small enough.

Most foods if prepared the correct way are edible, you just have to find the correct way, food processors and slow cookers are your best friend.

White starch foods are not recommended for weight loss i.e rice pasta bread potato
    You are better going for mainly protien and fruit and vegies with a small amout of the starches if required.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I struggle with things that are dry... dry bread, dry meats, etc.
    Most things I am OK with these days, so long as I chew and eat them slowly
  • elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with red meat and dry chicken,,and lettuce it can never go down right and thats cuz i love lettuce.. its a learning process as i go but so far that is all of them so far.. :smile:
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    had trouble with turkey over Thanksgiving, to dry I think. Also have trouble with hot dogs, OMG they are the worst.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    Options
    I can't get chicken down regardless of how I cook it. Funny I only have trouble at night. I can eat chicken during the day with no problem.

My band is so picky. But I still love it!!
  • TriciaAllen7251
    Options
    Thought I had one the battle between Chicken and the band last night. Found a wonderful recipe for oven fried chicken that used light mayonaise instead of an egg or buttermilk wash. I was actually able to eat about 1/2 a chicken breast last night. Well, lunch today was another story. I guess the microwave really dries it out. Oh well, at least I have cold protein drinks at the office for the rest of the day. Gosh I hate getting stuck!
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    I can eat anything.... as long as the bite is small enough and more importantly, I take my time.