going out alone

Options
Do you do it? Eat alone, movies, etc...

Just curious ... I know some people have issues with it.

Replies

• _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. Movies, dinner,, whatever. I did this even when I was in a relationship.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i do this because it's EPIC fun times. seriously. i have the most fun by myself.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I don`t but that is more because I live out in the middle of nowhere and anything to do in the evening is close to an hours drive one way.
    If I am away from home on a trip I have no problem going out to dinner alone or other things.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Sure, I do it all the time. I'd rather go out by myself than not at all.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'll go out alone. I'm going to the Miranda Lambert concert in January by myself because anytime I ask friends, sister, etc, I always get excuses. Why should I miss out on fun things when everyone else wants to sit home on their bums!?
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'll go out alone. I'm going to the Miranda Lambert concert in January by myself because anytime I ask friends, sister, etc, I always get excuses. Why should I miss out on fun things when everyone else wants to sit home on their bums!?

yeah I am starting to get this a lot too. It is so irritating and I have noticed that the more weight I lose the more I want to be out and not at home! Ugh.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Some things I've never minded doing alone, like errands, shopping, long drives just because I like long drives. Other things, not so much.

I have been trying to be better though and decided to tackle eating out alone as my first project. :tongue: Yes, I did put that much thought into it, but it's hard for me to break out of my comfort zones. I am 'in town' a lot, which is too far from home to run back for a meal and I used to get drive through and eat in the car all the time and that's pretty pathetic. I was delighted the other day when I walked into Wendy's (got the healthier stuff, of course), and sat down and ate, for the first time, without feeling all weird. So, now I'm trying to figure out what my next project should be.

One thing I really wish I could do alone is go out for a drink or maybe to see a live band play somewhere! I like to do these things when my kids are with their father, but the majority of my friends are married and really kind of boring (which I didn't notice until I was no longer married and boring :laugh: )...they like to be home early and stuff. I don't think I'll EVER be able to do that, though, so if no one is available, I don't go, and feel :frown: about it.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I actually just got home from seeing a movie by myself. I have no problem doing some things by myself. I go out to eat or to a movie all the time. One thing I wont do is go have a drink by myself, but im thinking I might just bite the bullet and do it otherwise, I wont get to go. Im working on it.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It took me a try or two to get comfortable with it, but I'm completely OK with it now.

Some establishments clearly are not though. I went to Chang's Mongolian Grill two Fridays ago (I go there once a month or so and the staff know who I am). The hostess seats me in a far hidden corner, in a 4 person booth where pretty much no one could see me.

So I said "hey can I get one of those two people tables like I always get? I'm a people watcher. And I'm alone and don't need this huge table."
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've been single long enough to do it all on my own, but I'd rather share :flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I've gone out to the movies, out to dinner, out to bars, even to concerts alone! I don't want to miss out because no one else wants to go!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've never gone to the movies on my own, but I have taken solo trips to Miami...three times. :drinker:
  • rockthehourglass
    rockthehourglass Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm weird about this....I'll go to the movies alone with no problem. However, I won't go out to eat or to a bar alone. Just way too self conscious!! If I'm meeting someone out I'll even wait in my car till they get there, I won't go in alone. I'm just shy I guess.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would rather go do the things I love doing alone than sitting at home missing out on life because tv, magazines, and society tells me I am a freak for being single.

To be honest, I have gotten to where I prefer seeing movies alone. Especially the ones I've been waiting to see (yesterday I saw Immortals alone). I can put my whole focus on the movie.

Eating out alone is kind of nice too. Strange though, waiters/waitresses always sit down to talk to me when alone.

The zoo, art museum, and conservatory are also very nice when alone. You can sit and take your time. Not so much when with someone.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I used to never do anything alone I would always believe everyone was looking at me, and talking about me. Then I realized like so what if they are. If I am always afraid of what someone might say then I will miss out on many things in my life. Now I can do things by myself and love it.
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I rarely go out. Occasionally during school, I go to the cafe nearby to get out for a walk and get away from school for a while. Things like that, I always have my head down and am reading notes for school.

I am a divorced mom, if I go to the movies, I always go with the kids.

I consider going to movies or go out just to get a break from the kids and treat myself to something, but it hasn't happened at all. I've been alone with them since 2004. That's a long time. And I have rarely gone out with other adults either, seems pretty abnormal??? The kids have been able to stay home alone in this past year. Hopefully things will change.
  • jaxnjojosmama
    jaxnjojosmama Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Some things I've never minded doing alone, like errands, shopping, long drives just because I like long drives. Other things, not so much.

I have been trying to be better though and decided to tackle eating out alone as my first project. :tongue: Yes, I did put that much thought into it, but it's hard for me to break out of my comfort zones. I am 'in town' a lot, which is too far from home to run back for a meal and I used to get drive through and eat in the car all the time and that's pretty pathetic. I was delighted the other day when I walked into Wendy's (got the healthier stuff, of course), and sat down and ate, for the first time, without feeling all weird. So, now I'm trying to figure out what my next project should be.

One thing I really wish I could do alone is go out for a drink or maybe to see a live band play somewhere! I like to do these things when my kids are with their father, but the majority of my friends are married and really kind of boring (which I didn't notice until I was no longer married and boring :laugh: )...they like to be home early and stuff. I don't think I'll EVER be able to do that, though, so if no one is available, I don't go, and feel :frown: about it.

I've noticed the same thing about most of my friends.. they think I'm crazy that I want to go out and do things, but I believe it is just because they have that companion to talk to and don't realize what a huge difference it makes. I'm leery of going out alone too, I think a lot of it has to do with my lack of confidence. Once I can get some of that back... look out!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'll go to a movie by myself, and might do a quick dinner at a place like Panera Bread where I can eat and leave. I love to go out and see bands and stuff but just can't bring myself to go by myself. It sometimes is rough having only friends in a relationship. For example, I passed up a chance to go to Atlantic City with two other couples for a free weekend at a hotel.... didn't want to be the 5th wheel. That's when it is a bummer being single.
  • leslyta
    Options
    I've gone shopping alone, but never really tried to go eat or movies alone!! Im definitely gonna try it sometime, I rarely get some alone time..
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I usually will go to a movie, out to dinner, shopping, hiking and just about everything by myself. I don't go to bars, but if I did, it would not be by myself. All these things are great, and I would enjoy going with a someone, but I don't let being alone stop me from doing things that I love.