WHAT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT

Options
Namaste1983
Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
TELL ME WHY YOU ARE DOING THIS?
WHAT MAKES YOUR WEIGHT LOSS WORTH IT?
WHAT MOTIVATED YOU AND WHEN YOU HAD YOUR "AHA" MOMENT?

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I HAVE SUFFERED FROM DEPRESSION FOR MOST OF MY LIFE AND, IN SEPTEMBER OF 2010, IT WAS PARTICULARLY BAD. I WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND SHE SAID THAT, IN ADDITION TO TRYING A NEW MEDICATION, I SHOULD INCORPORATE SOME EXERCISE INTO MY DAY TO RELEASE SOME ENDORPHINS.

I DECIDED THAT, IF I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO EXERCISE TO GET MY MIND HEALTHY, I MIGHT AS WELL GO ALL OUT AND GET THE REST OF ME HEALTHY TOO.

SO I DID. I DUMPED THE JUNK, REPLACED IT WITH NUTRITIOUS FOODS (IN SENSIBLE PORTIONS), STARTED GUZZLING WATER, AND GOT MY BODY MOVING.

MY BIGGEST MOTIVATION WAS MY SON - I WANTED TO SET A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR HIM, INSTEAD OF THE LAZY, GLUTTONOUS ONE I DEMONSTRATED THE FIRST 8 YEARS OF HIS LIFE.

I ALSO JUST WANTED TO BE HEALTHY. I DIDN'T HAVE A LOT OF THE HEALTH PROBLEMS OFTEN ASSOCIATED WITH OBESITY, BUT I COULD HAVE AND I WANTED TO REDUCE THAT RISK.

WHAT MAKES ME WANT TO KEEP UP THIS LIFESTYLE FOREVER, NOW THAT I'VE MET MY WEIGHT LOSS GOALS? I WANT TO CONTINUE SETTING AN EXAMPLE... FOR MY SON, FOR THE REST OF MY FAMILY, FOR MY FRIENDS, AND EVEN FOR STRANGERS.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it because I don't like boundaries and I want to be able to do whatever I want. I also don't want to be looked at differently because I am big. I want to be on a level playing field.When my blood pressure started to raise that's when I decided it was time for a change.

It's worth it because I feel like I'm doing this right and I have found something I can really be good at no matter what. I like to inspire and motivate people. I also love hearing the success stories.

My health and depression motivated me. A counselor told me I should work out 10 minutes a day 3 days a week to relieve stress and it worked. I really started to do much better with my life. I had more confidence. My AHA moment was when I got on the scale and I was near 300 pounds. That was just too much weight.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I HAD NO ONE AHA MOMENT. FOR ME IT WAS A LIFE TIME OF MIGRATING BETWEEN MORE FAT AND LESS FAT WITH LESSONS LEARNED.

HAVING COME DOWN NEARLY 50 LBS FROM MY MOST FAT AND BEING UNABLE TO KEEP WEIGHT LOSS GOING IN SPITE OF DOING THE RIGHT THING; THE "MAGIC MOMENT" WAS ACTUALLY A GRADUAL ACCEPTANCE. I'M NOT "NORMAL" PHYSICALLY OR MENTALLY. MY OBESITY IS MULTIFACETED AND EACH FACET NEEDS ITS OWN SOLUTION.

OBESITY FOR ME IS A SYMPTOM OF MULTIPLE DISEASES AS WELL AS A DISEASE ONTO ITSELF. WHAT MAKES IT ALL WORTH WHILE IS KNOWING I AM TREATING THE WHOLE SELF. I WILL ALWAYS BE OBESE BUT BY TREATING MY ENTIRE PERSON I CAN BE THIN ON THE OUTSIDE.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of crack sweat, and the less booty I have, the less sweat it will produce!!!
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Vanity got me started. I was worried my husband would start to see me as old and fat and start to wonder why he married me.

What's kept me going is how wonderful I feel, both physically and emotionally.

What makes it worth it is the pride in my husbands face when I'm on the treadmill and he tells me how impressed he is with the length and speed of my running intervals. How he finds me incredibly sexy, not because of how I look, but my level of confidence.

The most AWESOME part of it all, this is how I want to be for the rest of my life, the difference is, now I KNOW I can do it!!
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of anxiety and some depression because of that & really was tired of looking at myself in the mirror. I felt lazy, boring, and did not feel like I was myself anymore, but what really brought me here was when I started having really bad back pain. I thought it was just my back being out of alignment. I would feel sick to my stomach randomly throughout the day. I wasn't pregnant. One day I was at home and the pain got so bad that I started getting sick every 10-15 minutes and even after I had nothing left to get rid of I was dry heaving for the rest of the day. My lower back hurt SO bad & I had no insurance at the time. I had my husband take me to the chiropractor. I thought maybe he could tell me what it was and I knew I could afford to go there. He thought I had a urinary tract infection because when he pressed on my lower back by my kidneys it was sore. Well the pain was so bad I had to eventually go to the hospital. I still had no insurance. When I got there they had to give me a shot for the pain and they took xrays and cat scans & found that I had a kidney stone. It was about a centimeter at the time. Being that I had no insurance I toughed it out for the next 6 months until I bought my own insurance. I went back to get checked out and they said it had more then doubled in size. Now I had to have it surgicly removed. The Dr. told me that what I was eating and all the sodium from fast food played a big part on the fact I had the stone to begin with & at that point I decided to change my eating habits and get exercise. Also because I was very unhealthy I got pneumonia after surgery and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. Three LONG weeks. I can't let this happen again. I need to lose weight, not eat out except for every once in a while and exercise. That's why I'm here! :flowerforyou:
  • mjawesome
    mjawesome Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

What motivates me is loving what I see in the mirror. little things like last week I noticed there is a gap between my face and glasses. It use to bug me to take my glasses off and have a mark there where my marshmallow face was pudging over the arm of my glasses. now there's a gap and MY FINGER FITS IN IT!

I love feeling so energetic and not tired at 7pm. which means even more fun in the boom boom room!

what got me started was me getting sick and getting scared I had gallstones. I thought "omg I'm too young to be scared about health stuff like this" I took a real age quiz and it said I was old. scary stuff.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    IN APRIL I HAD A TUMOR REMOVED NEAR MY OVARIES. I WAS SUPPOSED TO ONLY BE IN RECOVERY FOR AN HOUR AND I WAS IN FOR 5 HOURS! I OVER HEARD THE DOCTOR TELL THE NURSE "WE CANNOT GET HER HEART RATE OR BREATHING REGULATED DUE TO HER WEIGHT". THAT SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE! I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL I WAS RECOVERED COMPLETELY BEFORE I COULD START ANY SORT OF REGIMENT. I STARTED AT THE END OF JULY AND NOW I AM GETTING A KICK OUT OF PEOPLE I HAVEN'T SEEN SINCE SUMMER BEING SHOCKED WHEN THEY SEE ME!

I AM HALF WAY TO MY GOAL. I LOOK FORWARD TO RUNNING! I DO A LITTLE NOW BUT I REALLY WANT TO BE ABLE HAVE SOME SPEED ON TOP OF IT! I LOVE MY NEW CLOTHES EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THAT THEY WONT BE AROUND MUCH LONGER.