Gone bonkers

so I was wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences.

If I'm cooking a meal now I will weigh all my ingredients write it down and eel out the calorie content of it, add it all together as I cook and put the meal together and divide it by portion size so I know what calories I'm getting and because I don't want to stop eating things like carbs and pasta even though they rocket up the cals. Essentially it helps me keep a track on what I'm eating which is pretty normal (I think) in mfp world but not so normal for the casual observer.

My bf is used to it let's me get in with it an rolls his eyes when I insist on telling him how much iv managed to cut off the calorie content off a lasagne. But my mother was round for tea the other day and was quite upset about it she thought it was VERY strange and in fact her exact words were "that's what anorexics do"

I just think it's the only way I can make sure I stay within my cal limit and also iv spent so many years shoving food in hand over fist not even thinking about why might be in home cooked food (turns out it's ALOT) that knowing hat I eat is important to me now. But I suppose it does seem a bit obsessive if you dont do it.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Once I was making 50g pasta to have with dinner (which is my usual serve) and my flatmate's friend commented sarcastically 'Are you really going to use a fork for that tiny amount?'

I wouldn't worry about it. As you get used to weights you could learn to eyeball it but I always just prefer to use my scales because it makes it easier. The silly thing is, if you were making a cake and weighing for the recipe, nobody would think it were strange at all! I like my meals to be properly portioned too :)
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Peope who don't count calories will never understand! You are perfectly normal!

Over the years, I have had so many insulting comments so I just ignore them. I remember when I lost over 6 stones in 2006. I felt good about myself for the first time in many years. I went to my uncle's house and he was looking at me like I was dying!
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Ha, I have had some funny looks getting out calorie counting apps in starbucks / chain restaurants to help me work out what to order. I wouldn't worry too much.

But maybe try and relax a little, by now you could have got used to measurement sizes by just looking so you could relax a little with guests/when ya mother is round and do it by eye not scales.

Do what is right for you, after having recent experiencing of seeing someone with an eating disorders habits it is a worryingly thin line as weight loss can be all consuming, but the difference between losing weight sensibly and having an eating disorder ultimately seems to be that with the latter there is a real fear of food. Doing your best to get some of your favourite carbs in isn't the actions of an anorexic as you're not running screaming from the lasagne!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    I still weight ingredients when I'm putting a meal together and it helps me visualise who much 100g of onions looks compared to 100g of chicken. That way, when the hubster cooks for me, I can guesstimate what's in a portion. Moreover, It helps when eating out because I know how much I should be eating and when to stop shovelling food down my throat.

As Panyg said:
    Peope who don't count calories will never understand! You are perfectly normal!
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Your not doing anything wrong at all - you are doing what is required to help control cal consumption, that in turn will help towards healthy eating and a healthy weight.

Many people are able to eat "normally" and keep their weight under control. But there are an awful lot of people like us that can't, and with the obesity epidemic that is sweeping the Country it seems the number of those sort of people is increasing rapidly. Based on that I think a lot more people should be counting their cals - They should teach the use of MFP in schools !!!! :happy:
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    I do the exact same thing.
    I make my own pasta sauces, soups, & chilli which like you I weigh & add all the calories together. Then I split this into pots to freeze & divide the total calories by the amount of pots then I write on the pot the calories - My lot are used to it now - & it gives them something to joke about over dinner !!!!!!
    - but it works & it doesn't mean you have an eating disorder - it means you are being concious of what you are putting into your body which is a great thing :smile:
  • Hi all
    My story is a bit crazy. My wife lilinlove (on MFP) drove me crazy weighing everything she was cooking or eating. One day she made me a account just to she me what junk I was eating and why I was loading weight(I was cycling 100 miles a week) I lost about 7lbs. That I didn't want to lose. So I decided it was time for me to get back to the weight I was 10 years ago while I was in the gym 200-210lbs.
    Then I started to use MFP to get my 4000+ kcals aday to help get to my goal.
    I weighed all my foods even those I took to work and people started to ask why I'm eating so much and why I'm logging it onto MFP so I explained. A few people even ask me to see what there meals where running at. I remember one guy eating a takeaway chicken korma and when I told him it was over 2000 kcals he stoped eating it lol
    So all in all I would not say we have lost the plot just they. We'd to find it lol