How do you keep your exercise fresh?

kristinkt
kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
I really like to use my eliptical everyday, but I am concerned about my body adjusting to this one form of exercise. What do you do to change it up a bit on the eliptical?

Replies

• achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    well i change the elevation and the resistance throughout the workout......i make it very hard for my legs and then i make it very easy for them....i sprint on the elliptical more than go at one setting.....
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    I have been increasing the resistance & working in sprints, but I will try changing up the resistance too. That sounds like a good idea. I have to get off to change the elevation which makes it harder to change up during the workout, but maybe I will change that up some too. Thanks!
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    i put on the pandora and keep the beat of the song of the moment. If that doesn't change it up and pass time quickly, you've gotta get more variety in your music!!

Another good idea I found is to do intervals. Do 60 seconds on a harder level, then do 60 seconds on an easy level for you. Next workout, vary the intervals. I personally like the 30 seconds on level 17 and 30 seconds on level 10 on a Startrac elliptical. The keypad is fast for changing the level. Good luck with it. :)
  • lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    I've changed my to interval training at a very high level of resistance. It seems to be working!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    I also do the music thing! I have a pretty good mix of music, and I pedal to the beat. If it's a slower song, I increase the resistance; for a faster song, I decrease it.

Sometimes, I'll put the resistance and the incline as high as I can stand and go as "fast" as I can. It's really not that fast, but it burns calories like a boss, lol.

I recently saw a tip that said DO NOT watch tv while you exercise, because you wont push yourself. It's definitely true for me, which is why I like to keep some challenging songs on my workout playlist!
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    My machine is easier to change then yours... But I do different settings, Hill, Random, Cardio, Muscle Toning, intervals increases and level changes. IF your machine is manual - you can always add ankle weights.
  • RoadkingDavid
    @ rharris - it's funny when people look at you because you have started dancing on the machine to really good tunes. lol
  • sdguy2002
    sdguy2002 Posts: 84 Member
    A couple things. first i like the changing movement to music idea. 2nd I think working out while watching tv isnt a bad idea because otherwise I would just be sitting which i do for 8 hours a day at work anyway. 3rd. I always runat full resistance on the eliptical., is this bad? If so why and what other approach should i take? I figure im going to be running for a certain amount of time not for calories or to hit a certain zone. Oh and lastly I am starting to try and run even though i dont like to because of kness is there something special i should do? Thans to all for any Future input :-D
  • RoadkingDavid
    I did intervals on the elliptical today: Startrac elliptical at the gym. I did a 10 minute warm-up from Level 10 to 18, then did 30 minutes of intervals of 60 seconds alternating between Level 13 and 18. Finally, I did 20 minutes of steady level 15. Total burn: 1021 calories. It was awesome!!
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    I use the precor elliptical...how do you increase the incline? Is that the cross ramp?
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 788 Member
    I use the precor at the gym and I use a diferent mode each time I go in. but my favorite is the interval training and I push hard on the 2 min of the most resistence and then slow down and catch my breath on the least. Oh btw I am watching tv while doing this for 60 min then a 5 min cool down. It seems to be working
  • mindymoe78
    mindymoe78 Posts: 1 Member
    I change the resistance throughout my workout. I also use Netflix to pass the time. I don't think TV is bad to watch while exercising. It is my motivation actually. I recently started watching Sons of Anarchy. I made a deal with myself that I could only watch that show when on the elliptical. Little did I know how AWESOME the show is! I am eager to start my workout everyday so I can start a new episode. Sometimes the episode ends so good that I watch 2 in a row...double the exercise =)
  • sirpilsofd
    sirpilsofd Posts: 16 Member
    To keep the exercise fresh I listen to music, but lately Ive been getting to 10 minute mark before I break out in a sweat, even when I drastically increase the resistance. My sister in law suggested reverse pedaling but in 5 min intervals. So I started out in forward pedal for 5 min then reverse for the next 5 min. After 20 mins my legs were wobbly. You will work muscles you don't normally work on.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    I've lost almost 50lbs doing nothing but my Elliptical... I've maxed out my programs it. Cardio, Fat Burning, Hills & Manual so now I've added wrist weights and dumbbells that total about 5 lbs... I try and keep my arms moving (dumbbell presses and punches) 30 out of the 60 mins I'm on the machine.

I also stare at the wall and try and make faces appear in the cracks to keep me company... 60 mins is a long time!
  • javimendoza
    javimendoza Posts: 52 Member
    I change the resistance throughout my workout. I also use Netflix to pass the time. I don't think TV is bad to watch while exercising. It is my motivation actually. I recently started watching Sons of Anarchy. I made a deal with myself that I could only watch that show when on the elliptical.

Hiii.... same as you i like to do my workouts while i wacht one of my favorite shows.... it seems like the time flow faster .... Also I entertaint myself while i reach my goals.... Actually.... i like "House of Lies" ( 30 min episode ), "New Girl" ( 22 min episode ) and "Girls" ( 22 min episode ), Obviusly no adds.... On 30 min workouts i burn around 500 calories and on 20 to 22 min i burn 350 to 380 calories.
  • hollyberry9639
    hollyberry9639 Posts: 3 Member
    I totally do this too! I watch "The Dollhouse" which is only 2 seasons but I can only watch it when I go to my apartment gym, my other gym doesn't get good enough coverage for Netflix to work. I like the non-coverage elliptical better but I REALLY want to watch my show so I wind up going to both. Whatever motivates you and makes you move!
  • Marpo08
    Marpo08 Posts: 6 Member
    I use the BeatBurn Elliptical Trainer app to keep my workouts fresh.
    Based on your burn profile, fitness level and desired workout length, the app designs a program for you, which progresses session by session - and the built-in beatsync technology adjusts the tempo of your music to your desired pace.

However, there's one downside to it: Once you reach a certain fitness level, the program stops progressing in favour of maintaining status quo.