Any DMV Cyclists?

Options
Hi guys! I was just wondering if anyone in the group likes cycling?

Replies

• horror_hamster
    Options
    i went on my first ride yesterday in two years! 7 miles from Leesburg toward Purcellville and back. my butt hurts but heck YES i loved it! just have to do it more often (great time to pick up an outdoor habit this close to winter, right?)
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm horrified of cycling on the roads in this area.. I'm not opposed to trail riding though.. but then I'd need a bike.. *adds to Christmas list*
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    @horror_hampster; You were on the W&OD trail? That is a great bike path! Sounds like you had a good ride. Unfortunately it is quite a hike for me to get over there frequently but I did a charity ride on it earlier in the year and I really enjoy that path.

@liveinthemix; I know what you mean. The roads can be a bit scary for cyclists. I have recently joined the Potomac Pedalers cycling club. There are a bunch of club rides that have been developed to stay on bike routes or minimally traveled streets. They also accommodate to many different ability levels.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    I was on the W&OD trail. it's BEAUTIFUL. i forget that going west is all uphill though so it was a challenge for a first ride. It was great, however, and I will be riding it again.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I bike to work everyday-- a little over 1 mile each way. It's even faster than driving! The street I take is wide and has a bike lane, so I'm not too scared about sharing the road with car commuters. I certainly don't look like your typical biker (pencil skirt, heels, giant purse and rusted beater bike) but I do wear a helmet. :)
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    @horror_hampster; You were on the W&OD trail? That is a great bike path! Sounds like you had a good ride. Unfortunately it is quite a hike for me to get over there frequently but I did a charity ride on it earlier in the year and I really enjoy that path.

@liveinthemix; I know what you mean. The roads can be a bit scary for cyclists. I have recently joined the Potomac Pedalers cycling club. There are a bunch of club rides that have been developed to stay on bike routes or minimally traveled streets. They also accommodate to many different ability levels.

Once I get a bike I'll have to look into that..!! thanks for the info!
  • GFreg
    Options
    I bike to work everyday-- a little over 1 mile each way. It's even faster than driving! The street I take is wide and has a bike lane, so I'm not too scared about sharing the road with car commuters. I certainly don't look like your typical biker (pencil skirt, heels, giant purse and rusted beater bike) but I do wear a helmet. :)

That sounds like a nice ride. My commute would be about 8 miles each way on roads with heavy traffic so I don't ride to work. I think I may have found a good alternative though so I will probably check that out and see if biking to work is a option. I would love be able to decrease how much I use my car. Yay for the helmet!

As for the Potomac Pedalers, it is pretty cheap to join, only $35 a year but the rides do not require you to be a member to participate. I would definitely recommend taking a look to anyone who might be interested.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I ride during lunch at work. I go from columbia pike to a little before the falls church metro station. Because I'm a coward with wind chill I'm sticking to running until it get a litltle warmer, 50+. I used to do a 16 mile loop once a week during the summer. Maybe I'll do it more often this year.
    Hector
  • GFreg
    Options
    I ride during lunch at work. I go from columbia pike to a little before the falls church metro station. Because I'm a coward with wind chill I'm sticking to running until it get a litltle warmer, 50+. I used to do a 16 mile loop once a week during the summer. Maybe I'll do it more often this year.
    Hector

That's awesome! Yeah it gets hard to ride when the temps drop. I have some winter gear but I don't think I would ride in much less than about 30 degrees. I wont ride when there is snow, ice or if it is raining heavily.