Garmin...

Options
Photoology
Photoology Posts: 121 Member
So I am sitting here doing some research on things I would like from my family for the holidays. I figured I would add a Garmin to my list but I have no idea which one or what is the best. I would like to use it as I start into my half marathon training in January. Any recommends as to which model?

I am looking for Pace / GPS, Calorie Counter, and Time within one model if possible, but the Pace / GPS is the most important.

Let me know what you all think!

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 405. I love it - Except.... If you workout indoors, you have to shut the GPS off and it quits counting calories. I then just use my HR for the calorie and put it into an online calculator. My other complaint about it would be the HRM Chest Strap is too big and falls off me I have to pin it smaller.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin 310XT. I absolutely love it.

It has newer, more accurate calorie counting function that is based on actual HR. The previous models used some calculation from pace and distance, (which is why if you shut off the gps the calories would stop too).

I have been having some problems with my chest strap, but I think I just need to wash it or something. Happened with my Polar too. This is my third Garmin, I previously had the 210 and I had to return it 2 times, I finally exchanged it for the 310XT.

If you are a member at REI, I would definitely buy from them. You can take it back for any reason at any time with no receipt. It literally saved me when I had to return the 210 twice. You just walk in and say, "It doesn't work" and they say, "Ok, is it ok if I give you a cash refund instead of putting it back on your card? That will take longer." Then you say, "No, I want a different one"
    "Ok, here you go. Have a great day!"
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I have a Garmin 305 that I got as a Christmas gift last year. I love it and have had no issues with it at all. It does everything I want as far as pace/elevation, etc with all my runs. I don't wear the HRM strap as often as I should but find it's relatively accurate for me.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    forerunner 305. love it.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305 lover here as well! It has everything I need at the right price and I like how small the watch is.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i personally use my smart phone (Droid Charge) with a app called runkeeper. I like to have one device for everything.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    'nother vote for the forerunner 305.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    205 & 305 are excellent (Only difference on the 305 is the HRM which I only use when training requires it - I thought it was cool to start with but it doesn't use it for calorie calculation and I find it a bit uncomfortable when running anyway so nowadays I don't bother.

Also good for cycling as long as you spend an extra £15 quid for the adapter for attaching it to the handle bars.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I got the 205 last year as I wasn't interested in having a HRM and getting the 205 saved me a few bucks. I love it and I can't remember how I ever ran without it!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    My wife got the 205 because she preferred the colour...
  • Photoology
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!! I am actually hoping to hunt down a few in stores to see also what I like in terms of how it feels on my wrist... I don't want to be uncomfortable at all. Those the 305 seems to be the leading winner...
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    I found it a little heavy initially but I'm used to it now....
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    There's a foot pod available for the 305 (and others I believe) that can be used for indoor training. I can't vouch for accuracy or anything since I don't have one.

One thing to note, the 305 needs to sit in a cradle to upload your data, and to charge. The 310XT transmits wirelessly, still needs to be plugged to charge though, of course.
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    305, for sure. Works great, does what I need it to do. Didn't cost more than my shoes. Love it!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    If money were no object I would have gone for the 410 - it looks nicer, has the wireless stuff etc. But a 305 will cost less than £100 now, and a 205 is only £80... Not worth paying double for it.

STAY AWAY FROM THE 405!!! the bevel control doesn't work when wet. i.e. if you sweat when working out!
  • naturerunner
    Options
    I love my 305. I have had no trouble with it. It is easy to use and has everything I need....and I think they have come down in price compared to the newer models which i have heard aren't as good (from people who have actually used both)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    bump...that is a great review in the post by missgolightly!
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i personally use my smart phone (Droid Charge) with a app called runkeeper. I like to have one device for everything.

I am using Runkeeper as well on my iPhone. LOVE IT!

We do also have a Garmin 205, but my husband runs too and he uses that most of the time. It is an older model I guess...but works great.
  • Photoology
    Options

I am using Runkeeper as well on my iPhone. LOVE IT!

We do also have a Garmin 205, but my husband runs too and he uses that most of the time. It is an older model I guess...but works great.

I am trying to shy away from using my phone for the GPS purpose as I don't think its getting my pace right... it keeps saying my walking pace is faster than my running...then it spazzes...lol
  • Photoology
    Options
    I am asking for the same thing for Christmas. My brother and dad both have the 305 and love it...I have wanted one since they got them, but always thought it was "ugly", so I looked at the 405 and it has been on my wishlist for about a year now....until my brother saw my wishlist. He urged me to research online and look at reviews for both. He said that Garmin and other companies have tried to "improve" upon the 305 and have in turn made them worse...that is why they still sell the 305. In my research, I have found pretty much the same consensus. The review I'm about to post is the most comprehensive I have found for the 305. He also has reviews for pretty much EVERY GPS watch there is on the market. In my opinion, if this guy has used everything out there and keeps coming back to the 305, well, that just speaks for itself.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/11/review-of-garmin-forerunner-305.html

This is awesome, thank you!