Vegetarian Sources of Protein for High Protein Diets

Options
_Sally_
_Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
I'm refocusing my goals to build muscle and reduce body fat %. However, the dietary needs to build muscle is way more protein than I usually eat, so I'm reaching out to see if folks have any creative ideas for biggest bang for the buck sources of whole food vegetarian protein, without a lot of calories.

Tofu, beans and nuts definitely have protein, but you also have to watch the calorie counts for these items. I do also eat egg whites, but don't really want to do that every day.

Some surprising vegetarian sources of protein I have found lately, with relatively low calories:

Nutritinoal Yeast (Red Star brand) - has 8 grams of protein for 1.5 TB serving (70 calories) - gives a bit of a cheesy taste to your food.

3 cups of broccoli - 18 grams of protein (150 calories). I just had this for breakfast with my eggs today and I was shocked by the protein amount. I really hope it wasn't a misprint on the bag (Woodstock Farms Organic Broccoli Florets)

What are some of your favorite vegetarian sources of protein? If anyone has a high protein, primarily vegetarian diet, would love to add you to my MFP pals and share diaries!

Replies

• Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I like spinach, which I add to my protein shakes. It is higher in protein than most other veggies, as is asparagus. Quinoa and whole wheat bread can push your protein totals higher. I really do rely on protein shakes to get my numbers up, though.

ETA: Egg whites can be added in sneakily, too. For example, scrambled and chopped into a grain dish.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Greek Yoghurt - my 0% fat brand gives me 10.3g of protein per 100g.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

Nutritinoal Yeast (Red Star brand) - has 8 grams of protein for 1.5 TB serving (70 calories) - gives a bit of a cheesy taste to your food.

I'm new at working towards vegetarian. Is "nutritional Yeast" just plain old bread baking yeast?
  • Veggie_Lo
    Options

I'm new at working towards vegetarian. Is "nutritional Yeast" just plain old bread baking yeast?

It is a different type of yeast. It is yellow and usually you can find it in the bulk section of a natural foods type store (or a big brand store if you're lucky!) I love the stuff, put it on my popcorn and it is like healthy cheese :)
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you do dairy, skim milk is 8-9 grams of protein per 8 oz, depending on the type of cow. I make hot cocoa in a 20 oz mug. I use plain unsweetened cocoa powder, which adds additional protein and very little fat. One mug gives me 278 calories and 23 g protein. I have gotten to prefer it unsweetened, so there's no issue about artificial vs. natural sweeteners.

If you have it before a meal, you will be pretty full and less tempted to overeat, too.
  • KaylaTie
    Options
    A protein shake for breakfast is always a good option, use coconut milk to almond milk instead of cow milk & throw in some raw local honey and berries and you'll be soooo happy until snack time or lunch!
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I tend to make at least one smoothie a day too. I like the Vega Shake 'n go if I'm in a hurry. They blend well and taste good. It's great because my kids are both primarily vegetarian too so starting off their day with coconut milk, Vega and some frozen fruit gives them loads of sustainable energy.

Most fruits and vegetables have more protein than people think. Edamame are great in salads or as a quick snack.

I rely a bit on food combining too (ex the classic beans and rice) so that I get complete proteins.
  • dogsetmoi
    Options
    Seitan! Not for the celiacs out there, but it is tasty, easy to make at home, and chock full of protein. Look up wheat meat, seitan, etc, for recipes. We add some vital wheat gluten to our homemade bean burgers to bump up the protein and improve texture.

It's not exactly a "whole" food, and some people don't digest it well (I've never had this problem), but it's certainly something to check out. Hell, you can even make hot "wingz" with it:

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2009/08/ultimate-vegan-hot-wingz.html

^I've actually made these and they are great diced up and added to salads or wraps.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Our current favorite at our house is "Five spice flavored dried tofu." It looks like they put a cake of tofu in seasoned marinade and let it dry out until it was the texture of cheddar cheese. The flavoring/color penetrates the outer half inch or so. It's great for dicing and adding to stir fries, as it doesn't crumble.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Where do you find the five spice dried tofu? Sounds yum!
  • Anjepad
    Anjepad Posts: 1
    Options
    I, too, am concerned with getting enough protein. There are some interesting articles if you search on the web. I recently came across an article that also provided recipes. In fact, I'm always searching for new recipes. Some new ideas can be trial and error though. I've also found several good vegetarian cookbooks that provide excellent choices for everything from soup to desserts...many can be adopted into a low calorie version. Happy hunting...
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For boosting protein without altering my other macros substantially, I can't go past protein powder. I use both rice and pea protein and they are great.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake for breakfast, I get vegan Sun Warrior brand mixed with almond milk. I do one serving of nuts per day. I also snack on string cheese everyday. I eat tofu everyday for lunch at work.
  • ninnalibra
    Options
    eatin sprouts is a good way of increasing protein...if u hav a indian store nearby try to get black gram, green gram sprout them and eat as a healthy breakfast or lunch time salad.
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    eatin sprouts is a good way of increasing protein...if u hav a indian store nearby try to get black gram, green gram sprout them and eat as a healthy breakfast or lunch time salad.

Yes, sprouts of Indian lentils is a great choice and it's Chana sprouts is one of my fav.Chana has about 17% protein and even more fiber.

Use finely cut Coriander leaves,Onions and sprinkle Lemon juice and you get a tasty refreshing protein filled breakfast/snack.

http://chezshuchi.com/Chana_Sprouts_Salad.html
  • ninnalibra
    Options

Yes, sprouts of Indian lentils is a great choice and it's Chana sprouts is one of my fav.Chana has about 17% protein and even more fiber.

Use finely cut Coriander leaves,Onions and sprinkle Lemon juice and you get a tasty refreshing protein filled breakfast/snack.

http://chezshuchi.com/Chana_Sprouts_Salad.html

this is one of my favorites . I also add a little bit of red chilli flakes....that gives a kick ......
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Story of my life!!! I have been a vegetarian for three years now. I supplement my protein and eat a lot of nuts. HOWEVER, I am really trying to whittle away at those last few percentages of BF and build more muscle, so I am trying to cut back on the nuts (fat) and add more protein without adding more carbs. I am lucky to get my protein in the 20th percentile, and really REALLY want to up that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Honestly, I am considering adding fish back in, but I really don't want to. :((

ADDITIONALLY, I am looking for more supporting friends that eat CLEAN and workout. I mean lifting weights and those who are serious about their health and fitness. :) Hope that doesn't sound snooty. I am happy to help anyone out there. I feel like I am at the point where I need some help. :)
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat animal protein all the time but here are some things that I have found that are high protein

1. Veggie burgers. I get the spicy black bean ones from Costco made by morning star farms 17 grams
    2. Fage 2 percent Greek yogurt. 20 grams
    3 premier protein shakes from Costco. This is my go to drink it gives 30 grams per serving and it tastes like chocolate milk

The best thing I have found lately is a a bar that is low carb, low sugar high fiber Etc.. Called the simply bar. It is made in Canada but you can buy it off of amazon. One bar can give you 16 grams of protein....

Good luck.