why did you start keeping reptiles?

Options
I always wanted a lizard but my mom wouldn't let me have one. So when I moved out and had enough money I bought one. He is a crested gecko and about 11 months old. It is apparent he is a HE now.

Replies

• Salamanda425
    Options
    Hi! I've got 6 snakes and a lizzard. I use them to do volunteer educational shows when I'm not working to teach kids about them. Usually in the summer time, I'll catch a few wild/native species to show too. The less people that are afraid of them, the better!!
  • Bitterbeauty
    Bitterbeauty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I originally got into reptiles due to my allergies. Reptiles are for the most part are hypoallergenic.

My first reptile was a turtle (they are my favorite animal). Yellow belly slider (Im from NC. They are native here)

Next I got a pair of two baby leopard geckos and my love for geckos grew from there.

My current reptile collection includes 6 leopard geckos and 2 aquatic turtles (red ear slider and yellow belly slider)
  • ozzra8
    ozzra8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've always loved reptiles since I can remember. My mom tells me stories of when I was young I would go out and catch snakes, salamanders, turtles, lizards, what ever I could find and would always bring them home to show her and she'd have to pretend to be calm and ask me to bring them back to their homes lol. She was so terrified but she tried her best not to put her own fear onto me. good job mom. lol. I guess I started to keep them to help friends and stores when they needed a foster. I usually took in sick reptiles or mistreated ones. Usually ball pythons, green iguanas and leopard geckos. Those were the most popular back home.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I plan on taking in my future reptiles from rescues. :)
    My little guy is over a year old now. I caught him shedding just eariler lol
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have two bearded dragons that I am OBSESSED with!!!!

I have recently just quit facebook and my bearded dragon groups are what I'll miss the most!!

Mine are:: Ormie (girl) she's 2.5 years old and about 750 grams - a fatty! and Axel: rescue boy that is 8.5 years old and has JUST started eating food on his own (I've had him a year) I'm so excited by this milestone he's reached!

I have dogs too but they are lucky I got my lizards after I got them bc I can't say I'd have any more pets after these loveable cuddly creatures came into my life! I.. LOVE. THEM!