Share your relationship with pizza

Options
amea412
amea412 Posts: 15 Member
I crave pizza like my body craves oxygen...it's BAD! I think it's because of the crust and the cheese because I'm not a big sauce fan...My favorite toppings are extra cheese and bacon (hides face)
I am a huge fan of deep dish...
The only thing I've found that keeps my cravings at bay is making toast and putting spaghetti sauce on it and low fat cheese. Not the best but it works for a while...until I snap and have to order some.
That's when the trouble arises, I can't just eat 2 or 3 slices, I eat entire pies! It's like I'm inhaling them, and almost zone out. Does anyone else do this?
Does anyone have any low cal,reduced fat substitutes?
I could seriously live on pizza alone.
SAD

Replies

• bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have lots of versions....use english muffins, flatten pillsbury biscuits, use flat outs....but there is just something about that gooey cheese that absolutely drives me crazy!!!
    We just have to try and stick to thin crust and add lots of veggies!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    MAN I LOVE PIZZA!!!!!!

Other foods I can make healthy substitutions for. Turkey burgers. Chicken sandwiches. No problem.

But I need pizza delivered from a generic pizza shop on the reg! Every day at lunch I walk to Pita Pit, I make wonderful and healthy decisions. But to get there I have to walk down the alley attached to the Italian Village that makes the tastiest, greasiest, NY style slices...AAAGGHHH!! The smell hits me and it's downright evil!

Today I had a wonderful and indulgent diary all planned. And I kept wanting to scrap it all and eat a whole pie. I was good. I didn't.

I have been able to eat a bit less. The other night I ordered a small pizza. That was good.
  • nicolesid1
    Options
    I love pizza so much it was pretty much the only meal I had for 2 months. I have times I get tired of it BUT I still will eat it if there is so in front of me. I have avoided buying pizza because I know I can't stop at one or two pieces. I avoid even having pasta sauce since I can make it from scratch.

Pizza and I go way back with it being a treat as a child. As I got older I made many bad food choices and with ice cream everyday I was pretty much having a piece of pizza or some close to it once or twice a month. As I said I now only have pizza when it is a cheat day because I know I am NOT going to hold back. I also try to get smaller pizzas so there is little to none left.
  • amea412
    amea412 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good ideas, I agree with the ordering less. If it's in front of me, I'm going to eat it too!
    Great job, BrettPGH for staying on track today and learning to eat smaller portions.
  • thewingnut13
    thewingnut13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I could eat pizza for every meal every day. Before i started MFP i was ordering pizza 3-4 times a week and eating a large by my self. Now i have only had 2 slices in 45 days. Been a very hard challenge.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Oh pizza....one of the few things that I would seriously scrap all my success for. I LOVE IT. Extra cheese, extra pepperoni, and no tomato sauce! I could eat this every meal of every day. Even breakfast. I can't NOT eat it if it's in front of me, so I pretty much never order it. There are ways to make it homemade/healthier, but it just doesn't do it for me. Doesn't satisfy that craving at all.
  • Jedibeau
    Options
    My name is Jeff, and I am addicted to pizza. :)

Pizza was a staple in my diet and was inhaled at least 3 times a week. My usual was 6 times a week however. 2 weeks ago I decided to embark on a new healthy lifestyle and gave it up as a main menu item. I did not want to give it up completely as I didn't want to deprive myself. So I went looking through the frozen pizza section and looked at all the pizzas to find one that was lowest in calories. I found the McCain Ultra Thin Crust Pollo pizza for 600 calories. It is one of the best tasting frozen pizzas as well as being reasonably low in calories.

If i find myself "needing" a pizza I make sure I get a serious workout in that day and pick one of these up. I always make sure it fits into my calorie goal for the day and just enjoy every last bite. No guilt. I also limit it to once a week so I don't fall into old habits.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone... I'm also addicted to pizze. I used to have it 2-3 nights a week, sometimes less, sometimes more. I still have it probably once a week. Hell, I had it tonight. Tonight was good though because I found Palermo's Margharita Pizza 260cals for 1/3 of the pizza!!

I've been a pizza addict since I was little. I remember my Dad and I ordering it when my Mom was out for an evening and at 9 years old I polished off a medium pizza to myself, and he was PROUD. No wonder I have food issues. He was almost as proud as when I ate 14 pancakes when I was 4!

Pizza is my "go-to" rebellion food. My husband and I quit smoking this week. (I only had one a day anyways) I think on friday I felt like rebelling, and I ordered pizza after he left for his poker game. I usually would order a medium full crust hawaiian or chicken club with dipping sauce. I was already at my calories for the day so in order to minimize the damage I ordered a thin crust SMALL pizza.

Anyways... pizza is dangerous!!!
  • jenny4teach
    jenny4teach Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I. WORK. AT. A. PIZZA. PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!

Its torture. When I was younger I was the pickiest eater alive & would basically only eat pizza. I work 2 week nights at the pizza place & try to only have a slice (okay, sometimes two) one of the days & make a salad or sandwich the other day. Its hard!

I love making english muffin pizzas though. With whole wheat ones, lite sauce & low fat cheese it isnt as bad for me and gives me the satisfaction of pairing carbs with cheese and sauce.

My worst pizza moment? After homecoming (a month ago) I woke up at 830 hung over and ordered a medium 1/2 pepperoni 1/2 plain. Ate the whole thing to my face in under 30 min. I swore I would never do that again. I felt like *kitten* for 3 days after.

My motto in life however is: everything in moderation. which means 1-2 slices...how ever hard that may be =)
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have already been worried about what will happen when I just have to have some take out pizza. I don't eat meat, but I can almost eat a whole large pizza all by myself. Sometimes I have to wait a couple of hours before I get the last 2 slices eaten but I can do it. Alot of what I have been eatting right now is dumped on a hugh bed of lettuce and I like it, and I keep thinking if I just cut a slice of pizza into a whole bunch of tiny little pieces and toss them into a bed of lettuce and maybe even get some marinara sauce extra to put in that will be good enough to make me happy. The problem I will have is ordering a small or just getting a slice when I know so many places have the large for the same price as the small, and I will try to tell myself I can just freeze it or something. Thank goodness they have the little cardboard variety of lean cusine and weight watchers pizza for emergencys. I hope we will be able to support each other in our challange to avoid pizza and not make it a pizza party. :ohwell:
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have already been worried about what will happen when I just have to have some take out pizza. I don't eat meat, but I can almost eat a whole large pizza all by myself. Sometimes I have to wait a couple of hours before I get the last 2 slices eaten but I can do it. Alot of what I have been eatting right now is dumped on a hugh bed of lettuce and I like it, and I keep thinking if I just cut a slice of pizza into a whole bunch of tiny little pieces and toss them into a bed of lettuce and maybe even get some marinara sauce extra to put in that will be good enough to make me happy. The problem I will have is ordering a small or just getting a slice when I know so many places have the large for the same price as the small, and I will try to tell myself I can just freeze it or something. Thank goodness they have the little cardboard variety of lean cusine and weight watchers pizza for emergencys. I hope we will be able to support each other in our challange to avoid pizza and not make it a pizza party. :ohwell:
  • Aliggins06
    Aliggins06 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have always loved pizza. at one point I was eating it everyday. I would sit and eat a whole pizza. medium. I can eat a large on a good day. And I had the nerve to order cheese sticks and pasta....